SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Christmas Light Decorator's Wanted In Your Town (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4542)

Garth November 26, 2007 11:40 AM

Christmas Light Decorator's Wanted In Your Town

Al's Morning Meetings pointed this Christmas Light Decorator business that seems like a perfect niche that
someone in anytown can copy if they have the skill or know someone who does. I can imagine there are a lot of hobbyist out there with this skill.

Might even be able to crank this around to a sub-niche...cars? Can anyone make Christmas colored car rims?

Phil November 26, 2007 05:45 PM

Re: Christmas Light Decorator's Wanted In Your Town

And if you need an operating Manual on the Biz just Search out all the Christmas Light Decoratoring franchises... There are Many making Big Ticket Profits... :)

Outsourcing comes to holiday decorating
http://www.boston.com/business/globe...ay_decorating/

Here's another Smart Christmas business idea that few are doing... Be Creative and you'll Get Tons of Free Publicity and keep busy into 2008...

Keep an Open mind to all the other Specialized Rental and Service possibilities throughout the year... ;)
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c... =Search&meta=

Phil

Unregistered November 26, 2007 05:58 PM

"Holy Schamoly!"

The following is a success story that can ONLY be possible in a "Capitalistic" country like the good ol' USofA;

Back in the "dark ages"....at my annual backyard "Turkey BarBQue" on Thanksgiving Day, in Northbrook, Ill...my buddies and I were "sitting around, after eating, sucking on some Budweisers"...while our wifees were "takin' care of our kids"...when the topic came up about "Nicky C" (one of the members of our group who had just lost his job)

WHAT was Nicky going to do to "make some money to...feed his family of wifee and 3 kids and keep his house...let alone, get thru Christmas?"

Nick's experience was limited to "construction labor". We tossed out a number of possiblities where he could possibly "hire on"...then...the conversation turned around to...how he could make some money to "keep him going", at least thru Christmas.

One guy brought up the idea of "Decorating Homes for Christmas".

So....since it was 4 weeks to Christmas....we all, then, got on the topic of "Christmas Decorating" and...since we were living in the affluent "North Shore of Chicago'...we thought that MANY "affluent home owners" would;
1) LIKE to have their homes decorated
2) could AFFORD to pay to have their home decorated

So...we proceeded to put together a plan....on how WE would help Nick start his own "Christmas Decorating" business....on a Shoestring.

We all tossed in some bux and pooled our resources. I offered to set up a bank account AND...design a Flyer we could deliver, door-to-door....in the affluent areas...offering "Nicky's House Decorating" service.

Well...this was on a Thursday and on Sunday afternoon I called my other buddies (and Nicky) and told them 5,000 Flyers would be printed and ready the next Weds afternoon...and we should meet at my house for distribution.

So...6 of us went out (with some of our kids as helpers) and went door-to-door on Thurs and Fri...delivering our flyers...offering lights to be installed on their homes for "X$" (I'm sorry. It's been too many years for me to remember what "X" was)

Well...when we got back from delivery the first night, there were 8 or 10 calls.

The next night there were more....and on Sat & Sun....there were a "bunch" of people wanting to have Nicky install lights on their homes.

After calling these folks and telling them our fees...almost ALL agreed to pay us....AFTER the installation....AFTER they were "satisfied" (which is the way I had my "helpers" pitch the deal)

We were flabbergasted. WHAT were "we" going to do? We had NO equipment, NO Insurance (in case someone falls off a roof)...NO lights.

Well...I made few calls to the local Dept Stores and discovered (I don't think THIS Dept Store chain is still going...it was called, E.J. Korvette...which stood for "Eight Jewish Korean Veterans)....they had an abundance of strings of outside lights they'd sell us for "x")

So....we pooled our bux...bought a bunch of lights and proceeded to get the jobs and install the lights....all in the evenings and on weekends, after we had finished our "regular work days".

Well....we discovered 2 things that first Christmas;
1) Homeowners WANT their homes decorated
2) They can AFFORD to "pay" to have it done

Now...this writing is about 35 yrs later and....Nick built his "Outdoor Decorating" biz into a MULTI million dollar enterprise...decorating SHOPPING MALLS in Chgo, Indiana and Wisconsin with MANY CREWS...and not just Christmas decorating but ALL types of Outdoor Decorating during the year.

And...around ChristmasTime....whenever I hear about some company or plant or business "shutting down before Christmas and laying off workers"...it reminds me of the guys we hired for the "Christmas Decorating"... and the "service" Nicky did by...."saving" MANY families in those days...so they'd have a "breather" period in which to "get thru the Holidays" and make money to "carry them thru"...until they could find another job.

Thanks for reminding me of a "fun" period of my life.

AND...even though today, Monday, Nov 26, 2007 is probably too late to consider starting up a "HouseDecorating" business...you could, keep the idea on the "fire" for next year.

Don Alm

Unregistered November 26, 2007 06:21 PM

Also....

An item I've found that is "WANTED"...and "Easily Sold" at this time of year, is a "FRONT DOOR WREATH"!

There are many "Christmas Tree Farms" in my area (Oregon Christmas Tree farms will deliver over 8 millyun trees this year)....and...the "trimmings" off these trees can be used for Front Door Wreaths....and gotten for "peanuts".

Just make a few phone calls to these Christmas Tree Farms and ask how much they want for their tree trimmings.

You need a "base-mold" (which can be made from wire or cut out of plywood...attach the branches...add some holly, pine cones, ribbon and balls and....WHALA!.... A "$35 to $50 FRONT DOOR WREATH"!

Make up a flyer showing a Photo of your "3 different sizes"...with your name and phone....deliver door-to door and you WILL get calls!

Or...just go In-Person...door-to-door...with a couple Samples. When the home owner opens the door...HAND HER A WREATH!, GIVE THE COST and ask if she'd like one for her Front Door.

When I showed an "outofwork" guy how to do this a few years ago...I sold 50 wreaths for $25 in about 6 hours.

Talk about "finding a HUNGRY MARKET"! There's no "hungrier a market" than "Front door Wreaths" at Christmastime!

Just 20 wreaths a day at $25ea = $500 a DAY!...for a quick and easy way to make "Christmas Bux".

Don Alm

Unregistered November 26, 2007 06:49 PM

Or....

A few yrs ago I got 17 youths to assemble and sell "Disciple's Crosses" at our church. (http://www.disciplescross.com) (I have NO connection)

The materials cost about $1 per cross AND...they sell like "hotcakes" at Christmastime for $10 ea. I found they'd even sell good at $20 each.

Could be a "family" project to make Christmas Bux.

Don Alm

Unregistered November 27, 2007 07:24 AM

Re: Also....

Don,

What a wonderful idea! We are just down the road from a Christmas tree farm
It's owned by some hunters who sell the trees to raise money to pay the taxes.
I have been looking for a good hands on,do-it-yourself project for my teenager.

This is perfect!

Thanks again, Don!