SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Getting to Business Owners Cheaply (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4162)

Millard Grubb July 11, 2007 11:13 PM

Getting to Business Owners Cheaply

Over the years I have sold books, cookware, advertising, marketing services, magic shows, etc., etc., etc. Most of the sales have been through marketing and not cold calling.

Now, however, I want to take a page from Gordon's notebooks, and present some of my hard-found knowledge in workshops and seminars. I seem to remember Gordon mentioning something about people "Under the radar" giving small seminars at the library or some other inexpensive venue and bringing in some "Small potatoes" over and over again.

I wonder if this concept can be used and upscaled a bit....

Business owners as a rule have more money to spend over time building their business and getting customers than most consumers. In other words, an individual consumer might give you a couple of hundred dollars for a sale or product and a few more bucks in the back-end. But a business owner convinced that you can build their business will give more to you.

With that in mind. I just wonder if it is possible to hold small seminars or workshops that help business owners grow...then upsell them on a longer course? Now, going into Chambers of Commerce without being a member (at least in my area) is like breaking through a wall....

Additionally, I do not want to spend thousands in advertising to get people to attend a seminar (I do not have the deep pockets that YK2 marketing has used in the past).

Let's say that I have no cash to blitz the media, papers, etc....but a VERY STRONG story and guarantee.... BTW, local libraries WILL NOT allow a business to have a seminar that makes a profit or pitches ANYTHING in any way....

Has this been done anywhere?

Millard

Phil July 11, 2007 11:46 PM

Re: Getting to Business Owners Cheaply

Hi Millard,

You can hold small seminars or workshops at higher end cafes/coffee shops and bakeries. Macdonalds usually allows use of their basements for parties and business meetings. Short term rentals at office boardrooms through executive services. Many don't know but some supermarkets rent out affordable space for condo meetings etc. And of course many hotels rent out meeting rooms and hotel suites for the same. Space is available at more places than we think about. :)

All very afforable that you can Think about opening up your own Millard school of seminars & workshops division. :)

Joint venture, do some cross promotions and cut some deals with the above and you'll have Lots of Space and Free Advertising Too... ;)

Just Barter and Connect Coffee and Business...

Phil

Goldblogger July 12, 2007 12:49 AM

You'll Pee Your Pants With Glee! :)

Here is a secret Brad Fallon and I discussed at our famous Hooters rendezvous.

You can have seminars and workshops at your local college and universities -- and you will pee your pants with glee when they quote prices.

Georgia Tech quoted me a price of $500/day for their conference center and that INCLUDED the refreshments and food!

And get this...

Every desk in the room had a wifi/high-speed internet hookup!

My next conference/seminar is being held at the University College of the Fraser Valley, just outside of Vancouver Canada.

The price?

$75 Loonies A Day! And that includes the pimple-faced kid that operates the audio-visual equipment.

But wait... there's more!

Heard of distance education? Well colleges can RECORD your seminar for peanuts, if not FREE. The classrooms are already set up for that, with cameras all over the room to capture the discussion and the lecture.

So tell your local Chamber to stuff themselves.

Aloha,

Jason

Phil July 12, 2007 01:30 AM

Re: You'll Pee Your Pants With Glee! :)

Are you passing through on your way to Hawaii. :)

Non business...

Or a John Reese/Jason or maybe GJA conference/seminar?

So what's happening in Loonie land... ;)

Phil

Ankesh July 12, 2007 04:19 AM

Two Problems:

1. Location
2. Getting people to pay and attend

1. Colleges - as Jason says - are fantastic.

2. Business Centers. If your seminar is targeted towards business owners, many business centers may even sponsor your event and give away use of their location for free - just so that they can attract more business owners to come visit them.

3. Cafes. A mentor did this. Joint ventured with a local cafe. Once a month for I think 6 months or so - he would hold a meetup at that cafe. He got the use of a part of the cafe for free. And the cafe also placed up a display board that promoted him and the meetup. The venue was for free because people who would show up would end up buying from the cafe.

Promotion

1. One thing you could do is joint venture with another business whose clients are business owners. Like accountants. He promotes the event to his clients and gets a commission per ticket sold.

2. Promote in the local newspaper: many of them have a free local events section.

3. Use direct mail.

Extra Money Ideas

1. Find sponsors. And place their ads all over the venue.

2. Upsell other products.

3. Auction something.

GordonJ July 12, 2007 07:19 AM

Fly Low-Collect Dough-The BOOK.

Hi Millard,

I should expand my report, Fly Low and Collect the Dough, into a BOOK...maybe I will now that I think of it...HA!

A couple of ideas for you. First locale. Agree with Jason on colleges, and some of the HIGH SCHOOLS do the same thing. I've taken several classes at my high school, and they are dirt cheap too. I'm lucky I have a community center, with rooms for rent, and PARKS, which I've used in the past too. But my favorite: CLUBS.

Check your local Italian American Club, Polish, German, etc. etc. Any ethnic group. Call and find out who the president is and send them a flyer offering to put your "performance" on for the business owners of that club. Make it specific to them.

VFW. I'd have my stuff ready, call and make an appointment with the Commander of the Post and pitch him on putting on the seminar for his members. Same with other clubs, CHURCHES (some of whom rent out their kitchens) and I've used the occassional pizza shop that was closed on Sunday/Monday too.

Millard, steal, uh, borrow a page from the ladies...Mary Kay, Avon, Girls Night Out...and consider a HOME PARTY...have one of the CoC or BBB members HOST a 90 minute informational meeting for 6-12 fellow business people (in exchange for a discount on your services)...an invitation from a fellow member might attract some people...FEED them of course.

Golf Courses don't do much after dark...and they have tables and chairs.

For me Millard, the ideal thing is to have a "leader" who has invited others to the venue...and in these things, an informational workshop, or SAMPLE if you will, goes a long way to selling a more personal or specialized course.

Consider the business owners shop too. They may have room to do something after hours. Again, you offer them something to hold the "event". In a strip mall for example, there is usually a merchant organization, which they pay to belong to. They share the goal of increasing business. OFFER a FREE 90 minute intro to the association.

And then of course Millard, you'll want to put your hands on Fly Low and Collect the Dough, the BOOK.

Someday. Maybe.

http://www.flylowcollectdough.com The report is a good starting point.

Gordon

PS. Don't overlook the 45 minute BREAKFAST intro meeting too, most small business owners are TIME restrained. Make TIME a big part of your pitch too and I guarantee you'll get some interested...if they can find the time to attend that is.

Good luck as always.

GordonJ July 12, 2007 07:27 AM

Follow up and the IMA info.

Millard,

You may recall my IMA operation, which I don't speak about. INDEPENDENT Marketing Appraisal. OFFER a FREE appraisal of their marketing strategy in exchange for the 90 minutes of time. Make it time limited, next 14 days or something like that.

Have CHECKLISTS (biz owners love this).

To make this work, you must KNOW every advertising venue available to the biz and how much it costs. From TV, radio to print to coupons to flyers. YOU have to know what everyone is selling "MORE BUSINESS" for.

gja

Skip Rosell July 12, 2007 07:45 AM

Quote:

Now, going into Chambers of Commerce without being a member (at least in my area) is like breaking through a wall....

Millard

Hi Millard,

Thanks for asking.

Yes going into the Chamber of commerce without being a member is not going to happen...But...Most Chambers are very nice about giving out their membership information on their web site.

You can get the business name, contact name, address, phone number, email address, web site, etc for each of their members and then direct contact them to invite them to your location.

Here is a listing from my Chamber's membership page.

Company Name Adjustable Bedz
Contact Name Robert Aviles
Address1 15 Alex Way
Address2
City Poughkeepsie
State New York
Zip 12603
Phone 845-849-1942
Fax 845-510-5427
Email [email protected]
URL www.adjustablebedz.com

All the information I need to contact them and get them to come to me instead of me going to the Chamber's location. This is the way I use to "get to business owners cheaply" :)

Skip Rosell

MichaelRoss July 12, 2007 06:21 PM

Millard,

Thanks for asking questions.

Seems you are asking a few things...

Thing # 1: Where can I find cheap venue?

Thing # 2: How can I market cheaply and get good results?

Thing # 3: Is it possible to Upsell the higher prices services from this workshop?

Cheap Venues: Lots has been covered already. Here's some more... scout halls, martial arts training hall/room/studio, empty Office For Lease, dance studio, wherever group guitar lessons are taught, secretarial training centers, your accountant's board room, and so on.

Cheap Marketing: The tried and Proven method of marketing seminars and workshops is by having someone market it to Their list - either for free or as a JV. And ideally, the people on the list should have already shown a desire for the thing being presented at the seminar.

So in the ideal world, someone would be telling a bunch of business owners, who have already shown a desire to want information on increasing business, that they should be attending your seminar.

WHERE to find such an existing list? That's another question.
How to create my own such list? That's also another question.

Let me throw this out for thoughts... a Young fellow (20) is a Life Coach. He holds Meetings which he calls Hour Of Power. Where you can come for an hour or so and it only costs a twenty spot. Don't recall exactly where the meetings are held, but they are held regardless of the numbers who turn up. Think he might have a small classified ad running as well as some kind of small poster or 8x11 sized flyer at the venue.

If you Blast your marketing, you are most likely going to be disappointed. A funded group spent weeks Blasting their Better Business class. After chatting with them they revealed 5 people turned up - that's 5 out of 2,100 businesses in the area. (If they cannot market their own services effectively, how reliable is any Advice they have to offer?)

Oh, the cheapest way to get to them? A postcard size flyer - you can get four to a sheet of paper - Hand Delivered by you to their place of business.

Upselling: Worry about this last. Concentrate on getting people in the door first. But know this... if your seminar is just a sales pitch, you will P'Off all those who attended expecting to get fair dinkum information.

Michael Ross

Millard Grubb July 12, 2007 06:57 PM

Thanks for all the ideas!

First and foremost is that i give a lot of value in the presentation showing the business owners how money is being left on the table... how things can be done more effectively, marketing makeovers, examples, etc. etc. etc.

My goal is to get the business owners so fired up while having a good time that a certain percentage want to do more.... That's the obvious sell.... but with subtlety.

I appreciate the ideas of the college and coffee shops... brilliant! :)

Of course, JVs...

I am really itching to get back in front of people after being a professional magician for so many years... I'll just add a few things to my business presentation to spice things up as well as giving great value.

If any of you are are interested in getting more details, I would be happy to share privately.... who knows we might just be able to help each other.

Millard

MichaelRoss July 12, 2007 07:35 PM

Quick thought on effective marketing that's cheap

Millard,

Thanks for taking action.

Just remembered something that could help.

A business wanted to run a marketing campaign cheaply. Here's what they did...

www.PrescottWeddings.com. Everything you need to say "I do."

Just the name of the business and the slogan - the name in large type and the tagline much smaller.

Other businesses did well on the Name & Slogan thing. Dominos - pizza delivered in 30 minutes or its free. Paypal. FedEx. And so on.

Apply the above...

www.GrubbMarketing.com Everything you need to increase your business.

Michael Ross

Goldblogger July 13, 2007 12:45 AM

Re: You'll Pee Your Pants With Glee! :)

Aloha Phil!

No. I relocated to the Pacific Northwest -- just south of the Canadian border. It is close to my family in Canada and a lot closer to my daughter in Hawaii, than Georgia was...

Now I have an airport within 45 minutes (Abbotsford BC) that offers direct service to Honolulu and the Big Island of Hawaii.

I am still getting settled -- although I have been here since December.

Aloha,

Jason

Phil July 13, 2007 05:17 AM

Here's one more idea on Coffee shop networking/marketing that I've used in some businesses...

Free Monthly office space in Coffee shops by arranging a monthly Coffee club account...

In exchange I purchased volume Coffee & treats at Great prices bringing in a nice flow of New customers...

Free coffee as a Marketing tool... It's a Great Affordable giveaway...

Excellent place to Do business, meet people and have small meetings/mini seminars...

A Win-Win situation... Afterall who turns down a Good Latte... :)

Used the same Formula for Ice Cream... And have also received 1,000's of Free ice cream cones in exchange for bringing in New customers...

I Scream Marketing... :)

The Kids and their Families Love it & Always keep going back for Lots more...

Twist coffee & ice cream into your Marketing plans and/or Make a business out of it... ;)

Bartering and Cross Promotions... You'll be Surprised at the Results...

Phil

Millard Grubb July 13, 2007 09:16 AM

Phil,

I suppose you mean that I promise to buy a certain amount of Lattes or coffees in trade for using the coffee shop for a business meeting?

I have a friend who suggested that I have a light lunch (sandwiches) to encourage business owners to attend....

What I am trying to do is what you are talking about....JVs and barter.... I've spent plenty of money in the past to get people in the door.... as another friend told me.... When you get a referral coming to you, you're not really selling, you're helping them to see how you can be a benefit to their company....

Again, as I mentioned, I plan to give GOOD STUFF AWAY and TELL THEM how good it is, by example, so they will think.... WOW! THIS is his FREE stuff?

Millard

Phil July 13, 2007 05:10 PM

Millard,

Actually, I was just Tossing out the idea (for all) that Coffee shops are a Great place to use in all kinds of Creative ways...

They're in a very Competitive marketplace, which opens up all kinds of interesting Possibilities...

Including getting www.followupsecrets.com on all those take away Coffee cups etc... :)

A Big Trend now is to Get into Consignment Brokering for Artists and Yes! use Coffee shops to Do small exhibitions... ;)

There are people making Big Bucks Promoting Artists in Coffee shops...

Because Artists have absolutely No idea on how to Market themselves...

Just an idea...

Phil

MichaelWinicki July 13, 2007 09:46 PM

Millard,

Not to rain on your parade but I'm going to play a little "devil's advocate"-- OK?

The small business market (5 or fewer employees with sales of less than $500,000 per year) is in my opinion the "fool's gold" of information marketers.

I'm tried my hand at the market at least fours different times, once as an employee of a non-profit corporation hired to put on seminars for small business owners and the other three times on my own.

I felt like you and a number of marketers have felt-- these folks need some serious marketing help!

The problems with that perspective are as follows:

1. Most do not think they need marketing help-- you may find that difficult to believe but after working or attempting to work with over 2,000 of them that is the honest to God's truth. Most are ignorant to their own situations. Sure it's easy for us, who've studied all the masters from Hopkins to Abraham to Kennedy to look at a yellow page ad for a local pizza shop and say, "Boy that's a lousy ad-- I know I could create one that does 5x the business".

The trouble is the business owner won't believe it. You'll be talking a different language than what they understand. They'll look at you like you're from outer space-- or maybe even worse-- France. ;)

You may not believe this but it's true and the amount of time it will take you to convince them otherwise will ultimately drive you to other business opportunities. And if this was just the only challenge when dealing with small business owners things would be bad enough... but my friend it gets worse.

2. While you may think they have loads of money to invest in marketing the opposite is more the reality of the situation. These folks view marketing as an expense-- pure & simple. You suggest to them that they should be doubling their marketing dollars and they'll either laugh in your face or will show you the red ink of where they've been "stealing" sales tax dollars over the last 4 quarters to bolster their bottom line and keep their kids and other relatives employed. Yeah, you could spend time educating them-- but you'll never, ever recoup the investment.

3. They have no ability to put in place any of the suggestions that you'll have. They don't have the time, the patience or the management ability. So they won't even bother to attend any seminars because it their mismanaged world their time is already fully committed without considering some newfangled marketing ideas. And if you think they'll pay you to put these concepts in place-- guess again! You're a needless expense! You're "advertising". These people get all of their business from "word of mouth", which is "free". At least according to them it is. ;) Yeah you can educate them but by this point I hope you've come to realize the foolishness of that. :D

Millard if you want to spend some time trying to help some small business owners get ahead? Fine go ahead and do that just don't plan on this being some sort of money-machine that is going to pump 6-figures into your pocket. You don't have enough time or patience to deal with these folks.

I finally quit doing seminars and wrote my book, "Killer Techniques To Succeed With Newspaper, Magazine and Yellow Page Advertising" which is basically my seminar in a print format.

A couple quick stories...

About three years ago Dan Kennedy offered to do a free teleseminar for the national association of independent booksellers-- in other words these are all the stores that aren't affiliated with a franchise. Dan Kennedy is big on reading and was a huge champion of independently owned bookshops-- you know "mom & pop" bookshop owners-- the type of businesses you want to target.

Anyway the national association put some real effort into marketing this event. And this was a legit thing. Kennedy was going to give them some terrific information.

There are thousands of these bookshop across the country... you know how many participated?

Yep. 35.

Kennedy was livid and said that he would never step foot in another independently owned book shop again.

Just a few months ago Dan was doing a teleminar and towards the end they allowed a few questions. Some guy said that he wanted to do exactly what you want to do Millard-- essentially help small businesses market better. Dan basically said that he'd go broke trying. His exact words were, "You can't help people that don't want to be helped."

I wouldn't waste me time if I were you but you're not me so go forth give it a go and the bottom line is that you can't say that you weren't warned. :D

ThePromotionalGuy.com July 14, 2007 10:10 AM

Millard,

I have to echo Mike W. sentiments. I see small business owners everyday. It is very discouraging to listen to their excuses and why they believe they are right and you don't know what you are talking about. Their perception of marketing and advertising is that it is a necessary evil. They do not view it as a way to generate more business.

Also they don't like someone else telling them how to advertise. You can have all the proof in the world, that shows them how to effectively take their business to the next level, but they will always come back with, "That may work in other businesses, but our industry is different."

Most just want to rely on their location, yellow page ads, word-of-mouth, and putting a sign out in front of their business. If it's more than that then it's an expense. It's astonishing the amount of business owners that don't believe they should thank their customers for doing business with them. As though they are doing the consumer a favor by being in business.

What I see that you are wanting to do is great, but you are chasing rabbits if you go after small business owners. They will eat up your time, resources and expect you to consult them for FREE and then complain because your advise did not give them the instant success that they think they deserve.

Target larger businesses in your area if you can. They see the value of a consultant/workshops. If you want to go after the smaller business owner, I would recommend that you prequalify them first. That way you reduce wasted time on those just looking for something for FREE.

Here is a little secret, I will let you in on. In every industry there is always a small percentage of successful business owners. Target them. They are all about growing their business and expanding.

I hate it that we have to get picky even with workshops or informal meetings, but in today's economy you only want to help others that truly see a benefit to your expertise.

Woody Quiñones
The Promotional Guy

sandy July 14, 2007 10:20 AM

Michael you have just confirmed what I believed. However, I only believed it after helping a few friends with marketing and discussing the possibilities. They saw it as a waste of time also; I couldn't figure out what was going on. Another area of marketing they didn't quite get was: Public Relations. Many of them need PR coverage but for some reason don't want to pay for it. I think one of the problems is the lack of business tools and knowledge of how to measure the effectiveness of different marketing strategies. If you won't take the time to talk to your customers(either face to face or in some format) and find out how they found your business and or if they heard you on some type of media outlet: what good would a PR Plan do you? I've found many small business people may "enjoy what they do" but do not "enjoy becoming successful in business through the use of sales and marketing strategies".

Now here is my question to you: Let's take real estate for example. Do you think the larger entities: big name real estate companies take their marketing and sales strategies more seriously than the small realtors(realtors with 5 salespeople or less)? I'm asking because do you think there are certain industries which are resistant to marketing efforts or it's the size of the industry.

Let me give you an example: when I go online I see zillions of realtor websites: most of them are aimed at people who are searching for listings, and other realtors checking out the competition. But the blog/websites I see do not give you a sense of who you will be doing business with and the reason I should do business with them. So the average person will browse 17 or so realtor websites and may even find themselves,after doing so, going to a simple platform as "craigslist.org" to find homes. Why? what is it about craigslist? why does a site without the frills etc. draw so many?

Anyway, I've digressed and thank you for the post which was stimulating.

ThePromotionalGuy.com July 14, 2007 11:58 AM

Sandy,

I'm not Mike, but I would like to address your question.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandy (Post 16122)
Now here is my question to you: Let's take real estate for example. Do you think the larger entities: big name real estate companies take their marketing and sales strategies more seriously than the small realtors(realtors with 5 salespeople or less)?

Yes and that's why they have large advertising budgets. They recognize that constant exposure builds recognition. The more I'm seen by the public, the more legitimate I'm considered. That thinking plays to human nature.

You are more likely to do business with those you know, then those you don't or don't know much about. Advertising conditions the consumer to believe a product, service or company are reliable and reputable, because they see it all the time.

For example: Walmart is known for low prices, because they say so on their television ads. So the consumer goes to see the prices and buys, now they are convinced and believes Walmart's adverting more.

But if you go into other places such as Target or Kmart, which will have the same product as Walmart, you will find that their prices are as low or even lower than Walmart.

How's that possible? Because Walmart has been telling us for years and we are conditioned to believe their ads, especially after you have made a purchase.

Quote:

I'm asking because do you think there are certain industries which are resistant to marketing efforts or it's the size of the industry.

If an industry has a lot of competition, then those who want to stay on top will advertise and market aggressively. If an industry has little competition then there is no threat to their customer base so advertising and marketing are not persued has intensely.

Then there are industries, that are very successful that don't need to market or advertise because their product or service is in such a demand advertising and marketing are not needed. Example: Citrus, Cattle, Mines & anything that's apart of the agricultural industry.

Quote:

Why? what is it about craigslist? why does a site without the frills etc. draw so many?

Sites like craigslist draw people that are looking for the cheapest route to go. That's not necessarily bad, but with the skyrocketing home prices, consumers are holding onto their money tighter.

Big name companies represent additional expenses to the home buyer that may have limited income and if they can shave off some expenses and still get what they want, then in their minds they are a winner.

However, they do give up necessary services that could prevent them from making a huge financial blunder. Items such title searches, contacting multiple owners on a deed, undisclosed liens, possible right of way issues, variances they are not aware of & so on.

Woody Quiñones
The Promotional Guy

Biztips July 14, 2007 12:19 PM

Re: Magic and Publicity

Interesting discussion and I agree that many times the people who need help the most are the least open to the idea that they need it...

A couple of things caught my attention.

You said you were a magician? A young magician I know is one of the most creative marketers I've ever seen, especially in his use of business cards. I give away an interview with him (and a video illustration of how to do a business card magic trick) with sign-ups to my Business Card Bulletin newsletter...

But it's the publicity angle that I wanted to focus on. Just did a lot of research on that for a new book - had gotten some great publicity for an ebook release last year and that kind of free promotion is wonderful - people are much more likely to believe someone who's presented as an expert or who is mentioned in the news.

It's not difficult at all to get local publicity - radio, TV, newspaper - if you're creative in your story idea, and it sounds as if you could be. I think the hook that you're a magician can probably be used, right off the bat, since that professional is inherently intriguing.

Best of all, it doesn't cost you a CENT!

Diana Ratliff, Author
The Publicity Traffic System, http://www.PublicityTrafficSystem.com
For free business card marketing report, magic trick video, and business card discount, send a blank email to: [email protected]

Millard Grubb July 14, 2007 03:22 PM

Thanks for all the tips....

I think I didn't make myself clear.... I too have beat my head against the wall with "Small business" owners. That is NOT my target.

I am not after the business who NEEDS help... I am after the business that is successful who wants more... the person who is always looking to do better and will do whatever it takes (legally) to make things happen.

I am qualifying people every step of the way and already have clients itching to learn more about what I am doing.

My focus was to find some clever ways to get things done without going broke getting to the check signer. My High Impact door openers do the job and my career as a magician helps me to get people interested in talking with me at networking functions .... (Do a killer trick to explain a point without letting people know you were a professional magician.... works for me)

Just want to do things faster.

Thanks for all the people watching my backside. :)

Millard

MichaelWinicki July 14, 2007 04:11 PM

I have a couple different issues with the way you are going about it Millard...

First off I think trying to get out of prospecting as cheaply as possibly isn't the answer. And I'm not necessarily talking about "customer acquisition" costs either but "prospecting" costs.

At this point do you have any idea of what your "product" is and what your profit margin will be? That's obviously key. Next comes trying to figure out the lifetime value of a customer-- not a prospect but a customer.

From there you can determine how much you can afford to spend on your prospecting and ultimately customer acquisition.

From my perspective I've found the more you can afford to spend on prospecting the better. "Cut-rate" methods of prospecting leads to "cut-rate" clients.

The second thing that I'm not particularly big on is the use of your personal time for prospecting. To me that's a huge waste of your most valuable commodity which isn't your money but your time. All of us are far too guilty of throwing our own personal time at problems such as prospecting when money is a cheaper alternative and ultimately will force you into creating a "system" for your prospecting. You going out and networking with people, without "sifting" out the non-prospects before hand is perhaps the worst "system" you can have-- incredibly inefficient.

I'm curious-- you said you are "qualifying" clients every step of the way-- what sort of methods are you using?

Phil July 15, 2007 12:44 AM

There's definitely some Great advice and opinions in this thread...

But I don't think some are reading Through and understanding Millard's post. :)

I could be wrong... But in this case the product has a Proven track record and others like David Frey are having No problems using the type of methods Millard is referring to...

Helping small businesses market better is a whole different Problem...

In Millard's situation, there are Multiples of businesses and Professionals that are very reachable...

Because Most understand that people/consumers Love to be Appreciated & Need to be Appreciated. ;)

It's called Customer Appreciation programs... I know the business well as I'm sure others do...

Millard, let me know if I'm reading this one wrong... I might be. :)

By the way, just getting through my email messages for those who contacted me...

Phil

Phil July 15, 2007 02:35 AM

Why Craigslist draws so many...

Sandy,

As you probably know, there are Many reasons why people would rather use Craigslist than most Boring Realtor web sites... :)

Since I track Craigslist news amongst other interesting stuff...

Some might enjoy the following and get a few Ideas & Answers... ;)

The Architecture and Ambition of Craigslist
http://blog.topix.com/archives/000095.html

http://24hoursoncraigslist.com/subs/nowplaying.html

Phil

CopyCub July 16, 2007 11:12 AM

I'm curious...it sounds like a few of you are in agreement that small business owners who need the help - do NOT want the help or do NOT follow through.

Does anyone have any experience selling them how-to info products? Such as marketing manuals or turn-key marketing materials.

Is the mom/pop business market open to marketing/sales type of products???

GordonJ July 16, 2007 11:42 AM

Yes. And No. Let's go back a few years, shall we?

Hubert Simon. Wrote one of the best little books and one of the least recognized ones too; circa 72-73.

"Out of the Rat Race and Into the Chips"

Second best ten bux you can spend, after you have a copy of Fly Low and Collect the Dough that is.

Back in them thar days of long ago...NEWSLETTERS were the big info products sold to small businesses. Hubert sold several, one to restaurants, I remember reading it in, I believe the late 60's sometimes, when I had aspirations of being "Chef Ramsey" on Hell's Kitchen. Had the temperment, couldn't cook for crap...anyhow.

Jump ahead a few years.

Dan Kennedy. He didn't discover or invent the "KIT", but he took it to...for you MAD TV fans...

a...

whole...

nuther....

LEVEL!.

And the small biz kit has been successfully sold for years. They are industry specific...Joe Polish with his Carpet Cleaning.

The Nielsen kids (then) with their Coupon Kit. Their mom with House Cleaning. (More Entrepreneurial but the same idea).

A chiropractor probably receives an offer a week for some info KIT to improve his her business...and of course the 15k or more seminar too.

Dry Cleaners. Restaurants (still)...

To answer the question Copy Cub...YES. There are still plenty of people marketing to small businesses. And no, it may not be worth it.

In Millard's case he has the business background that allows him to say, "Hey, I've been there, done that, and here are the mistakes I've made..the same ones I see you making today..." And then into his pitch.

I think it pert near impossible for a Copwriter or a Marketer to break in to this very crowded Business CONSULTANT field...where you can't swing a comatose marketer without knocking down a few turkey lipped BUSINESS CONSULTANTS.

Doesn't mean there ain't room for more. Just as in Jim Straw's Millionaire in a Year Course, there is ALWAYS room for those that work and follow directions, or at least follow the Masters that have come before.

I present myself as an INDEPENDENT MARKETING APPRAISER.

And offer a FREE appraisal of their current marketing strategy...it's hard to turn down FREE...and using that research and K N O W I N G what advertising costs in my area, what marketing COULD be done...I can present either an on going consultancy program, or a one off, here's what to do. AND, if they choose to do any advertising...

I advise them to USE ME rather than an agency or (heaven forbid) any Rep or anyone PAID by any media. They are biased and their checks depend on selling the business owner advertising. MY pay comes from actually doing something that COULD help their business...and this is where the other part comes in...

I don't care who it is, or what they DO...any and EVERY copywriter, consultant, marketer for hire...has been told NO THANKS (even if we've been paid) on our ideas for THEIR business.

You can still sell KITS. Courses. Newsletters. (All being done to the tune of millions of dollars)...or other stuff.

There are, in my opinion, lowing hanging fruit in the orchard to pick.

Gordon Jay (Mr. INDEPENDENT Marketing Appraiser) Alexander

PS. And I even tell you about some of them in (bet you saw this coming, right?) http://www.flylowcollectdough.com Fly Low and Collect the Dough.

Biztips July 16, 2007 11:44 AM

It's hard to say who buys my info-products, although I assume that many of the people who buy my "Business Card Breakthroughs" are small business owners.

What I had in mind when I made my comment was based on when I did website reviews. Still do, sometimes - but even though I'm trained in doing so, and even though people had PAID for my opinion - they'd argue with me. Wouldn't make the changes, even though I'd carefully explain the reasoning and cite research.

Got so frustrating I quit doing it.

Diana
http://www.PublicityTrafficSystem.com
Drive traffic to your website through the power of FREE publicity!

Phil July 16, 2007 12:04 PM

John Jantsch...
http://www.ducttapemarketing.com/john-jantsch.htm
http://www.ducttapemarketing.com/

And
David Frey...
http://www.marketingbestpractices.com/

Amongst Many other's Don't seem to have any problems Finding their Niche customers. :)

But of course we can all have different opinions on what Works and what doesn't. ;)

Phil

Millard Grubb July 18, 2007 10:06 PM

Gordon, Phil, and others,

It is not me having a problem getting business owners to listen or pay me....

Two cases.... I was with my wife eating at a nice Chinese buffet when I saw the owner shaking his head no to two sales people....

After the salespeople left, I asked the owner if he bought the ads, he said no. I then suggested a few ideas just to be a nice guy. The owner refunds my dinner and I give him my card. I get a call at 10:30 AT NIGHT the next Saturday with the owner asking for my help...He has TOO MUCH business!
Then I come in the next day, create a simple flyer... The owner then gives me a certificate written in Chinese saying that all I have to do is just hand this in and get any meal free...anytime... Now listen, I wasn't trying to get a client... I was just doing a favor for a good restaurant... Over the next couple of years I got over 2000 dollars in food for my frineds and I from that simple gesture...

Next, I walked into a meat processing shop looking to get some meat. I talked a few minutes with the owner and set up a retainer deal, PLUS I haven't had to pay anything for meat for four months.

Getting the deals isn't hard... I just want to kick it up a notch and leverage my time a bit more.... Can I do a Robert Allen and be dropped in a city anywhere and make cash as a consultant? Yes, I can.

I just want to do it faster. Better. More efficiently.

And that is what I look for in a business. A success who wants more.

Warmly,

Millard