SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Got my new edition of SCOOPIFIED in today's mail. Here's the scoop. (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10167)

GordonJ June 11, 2018 01:48 PM

Got my new edition of SCOOPIFIED in today's mail. Here's the scoop.

I love getting stuff in the mail. This little magazine is full of offers for all kinds of things; business, health and conspiracy theories galore. Fun reading.

I also get some "Mail order" pubs, or circulars too. And I like the stuff you find at ebay,
https://ebay.to/2LFRRNn

From Solar-Vision. This link to a HOW TO START A COOKBOOK EMPIRE. Should do this one.

My point is...MAIL ORDER is alive. And a person can still make some moolah in these little unknown, seldom discussed areas.

The thing with Scoopified is they mostly sell REFERRALS. For example, #158 on page 24 is for:

GURU JIM'S MAIL-ORDER* $5 (All asterisks are referrals) So they will send you the address to get Guru Jim's offer. It is usually a single piece of paper in an envelope with contact info. Here is how it reads in Scoopified:

There is plenty of information on "How to Get Rich in Mail Order" floating around. Unfortunately, many people fall for this hype and lose money. According to mail order Guru Jim, mail order is still the easiest, least expensive, and most profitable business in the world - if you know what you are doing. With over 30 years of experience and success under his belt, Jim gives you his scientific, step-by-step instructions on what to sell, how to find the right products, how and where to sell them. If you were ever intrigued by mail order and have $500 to $1,000 in start-up capital, his comprehensive information offers you the best chance to succeed in mail order. Online details only. Computer access necessary.

There are over 200 such offers in Scoopified. MOST are referrals, you send 5 bux just to get the url. I think I did this in 1996 or there abouts. Here is the website:

http://www.scoopified.net/home-businessfinancial.html

I like the paper copy.

Anyhow, I may put up my HOTSHEETS for sale like this, or bundle them into more products.

HEY, if you have an info product, I'll create a little catalog and charge folks $5 to get your url, deal??

Gordon

PS. Got my new ULINE catalog too. Always get some new ideas from there.

Cornell June 15, 2018 12:38 AM

Gordon - SCOOPIFIED brings back.....

Brings back memories of receiving Ty Hicks International Wealth Success (IWS) and BOD (Business Opportunities Digest) in the mail :)

GordonJ June 15, 2018 11:18 AM

Ty Hicks, and our resident MO expert. For fun and profit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornell (Post 39189)
Brings back memories of receiving Ty Hicks International Wealth Success (IWS) and BOD (Business Opportunities Digest) in the mail :)

Cornell, how about Carl O'Shea? Man, do we go way back eh? HA!

But this past year, one of our forum members has been very busy testing offers in TODAY'S mail order circulars, with some success. I believe he has just about completed a complete program, from lead gen, to high end back-ends.

More on that later. I believe he has also, very recently, spoken to Ty Hicks.

Anyhow, I loved both IWS, BOD, and several others too.

Today, Mail Order, in the circular pubs world is full of scams, schemes, and stoopid ideas (as it always has been). But I like to keep up on it as a hobby, and the following links are to current ADVERTISERS in mail order circs, and as is my usual disclaimer, NOT in any way am I affiliated. Presented for entertainment and education only.

http://abminfo.com/

http://www.moneyindexnet.com/index.htm

http://www.millionairespay.com/

http://www.inc54.com/

http://www.simplecashdaily.com/

https://besteasywork.com/

http://www.inc53.com/

http://www.homebizads.com/

http://www.therealmidori.com/

http://sparetimeopportunity.com/

And I've had my harmonica for over 50 years, still can't play a recognizable tune on it, but NOW, I consider it my secret weapon if I ever find myself homeless. Thanks to this guy:

http://www.sunshinebulletin.com/

Oh what fun it is to blow
and get dollars in your hat, OH

I have to run for lunch, but when I come back this afternoon, I'm going to reveal some real inside info into modern mail order (circular style) and unveil some of the cash gifting programs, which are still alive and well, and for the founders, generating hundreds of dollars A DAY in free money.

More later, hit a few links and be amused.

Gordon

GordonJ June 15, 2018 02:00 PM

I'd rather siesta, but, some more on mail order.

When I went to New Mexico and stayed with THE BOZ (Bud Riggs) on his 200 acre desert ranch, replete with rattlesnakes, black widow spiders, rabid dogs and coyotes, mean barn owls, screeching hawks and creatures from the desert...it was a very educational time.

Boz and I became fast friends. After our soiree into selling the HEADLIGHT CLEANING MANUAL (still my best opening day ever, 103 x 97 bux), and he pulled the plug on the project, we did other things.

I'll keep this focused, if I can on mail order.

In the little two bedroom guest house where I slept (barely, and even then with the lights ON) one of the bedrooms was filled to the top with boxes, I think from SMC., although it could have been Mellinger's or Mail Order Associates, all pretty much the same thing. I think it was SMC, those guys with the Tom Bosley of Happy Days ads and infomercials.

Anyhow, he said there was about 12 to 15 thousand dollars of merch, his cost.

In his garage/work area/office he had by my best guess a collection of at leastg $100,000.00 of courses, books and info products. Some of you might remember we offered some for sale. Boz had every Real Estate Course ever made, he bought them all.

All this is just a little background.

So one day we made our rounds, Car Wash for some headling cleaning, brunch at Chinese buffet, then the post office, where he kept two boxes and then to a USPS store (hybrid) where he kept TWO other mail boxes and where he rec'd packages.

We get back to the ranch and I help him haul in the mail and put the headlight cleaning kits away, he always had a habit of refilling everything when he got home, charging the batteries on the drills, and being ready to grab and run the next day.

He gives me a couple of boxes, and when I open them, dozens of USPS priority mail falls out, and as I open them up, twenties, fifties and hundred dollar bills come pouring out. What the HEY?!

Oh no, my knee jerk reaction, who deals what in CASH? Well he did. But this money came from a "few" of his mail order operations.

The boxes came from different locations, the envelopes sent to a re shipping house, and then mailed to him at his location. It was then I discovered why he pulled the plug on our little headlight cleaning manual, just wasn't worth his time to deal with people.

Too much people contact. There was a reason, after all, the guy lived in the desert. He owned several rental properties, mostly mobile homes (trailers he called them) and sold them mostly on land contract basis.

Income was not his real concern, and with all this CASH pouring in, it almost made me want to grab a shovel and start digging, but having gotten to know the man, I probably would have hit one of the booby traps.

Mail order GIFTING has been around forever. As has mlm, or those "downline" projects, and the selling of recipes (guilty) and other pieces of paper for a couple of bux, while it cost a stamp and a mimeograph (yikes, am I really that ancient?,,,oh yea)

See, there was and IS a very active mail order community outside of what most of us consider to be Direct Marketing, or Remote Direct Marketing done by the likes of Joe Karbo, Ben Suarez and Joe Sugarman. There was a time when the backs and fronts of magazines like POPULAR SCIENCE/MECHANICS were filled with hundreds of little classified ads.

And the Biz-Op Make Money areas were jammed packed with offers, send a stamp, or stamped envelope to get the offer. There were thousands of these over the years.

Well, all that was history. OR so most of us think. A little more than a year ago, I posted about some tests, and as I mentioned one of our members has taken up the task to fully develop and TEST modern mail order circulars.

His results have been surprising.

I won't say millions, or even hundreds of thousands, but it seems like there is a universe of many thousands of people who still participate in those gifting plans, selling HOTSHEETS galore, getting names on lists, and offering deals.

It isn't the market it was at one time, but it is full of BUYERS. People who spend money, send money (even CASH) through the mail in the hopes of finding a business op or receiving their payout after rising up on the list of a mlm company. It is AMAZING, although, not really.

More later, to be continued.

Gordon

Cornell June 15, 2018 02:40 PM

Thanks and an idea

Thanks for the links :)

Yes, we do go way back...so let's go back to good old Don Alm and his putting info on floppy disks and giving them a teaser on it and then having to pay for the password to get the rest....

People today are lazy and/or just don't know how to do searches effectively. There is quite a market out there for CD/DVD's with simply links to search findings for a specific niche.

Email marketing to sell the product directly, or if one has resources to do similar to the floppy...rent list of niche market and send CD/DVD free in the mail with sampler on it and then online payment of $10 to get password to rest of the researched links.

If done properly it doesn't take much, or long, to generate a $10,000 payday.

grooviegravy June 15, 2018 02:50 PM

No Time For Sleepin'

[quote=GordonJ;39192]When I went to New Mexico and stayed with THE BOZ (Bud Riggs) on his 200 acre desert ranch, replete with rattlesnakes, black widow spiders, rabid dogs and coyotes, mean barn owls, screeching hawks and creatures from the desert...it was a very educational time.

Boz and I became fast friends. After our soiree into selling the HEADLIGHT CLEANING MANUAL (still my best opening day ever, 103 x 97 bux), and he pulled the plug on the project, we did other things.

In the little two bedroom guest house where I slept (barely, and even then with the lights ON) one of the bedrooms was filled to the top with boxes, I think from SMC., although it could have been Mellinger's or Mail Order Associates, all pretty much the same thing. I think it was SMC, those guys with the Tom Bosley of Happy Days ads and infomercials.

In his garage/work area/office he had by my best guess a collection of at leastg $100,000.00 of courses, books and info products. Some of you might remember we offered some for sale. Boz had every Real Estate Course ever made, he bought them all.

So one day we made our rounds, Car Wash for some headling cleaning, brunch at Chinese buffet, then the post office, where he kept two boxes and then to a USPS store (hybrid) where he kept TWO other mail boxes and where he rec'd packages.

We get back to the ranch and I help him haul in the mail and put the headlight cleaning kits away, he always had a habit of refilling everything when he got home, charging the batteries on the drills, and being ready to grab and run the next day.

He gives me a couple of boxes, and when I open them, dozens of USPS priority mail falls out, and as I open them up, twenties, fifties and hundred dollar bills come pouring out. What the HEY?!

Oh no, my knee jerk reaction, who deals what in CASH? Well he did. But this money came from a "few" of his mail order operations.

The boxes came from different locations, the envelopes sent to a re shipping house, and then mailed to him at his location. It was then I discovered why he pulled the plug on our little headlight cleaning manual, just wasn't worth his time to deal with people.

Too much people contact. There was a reason, after all, the guy lived in the desert. He owned several rental properties, mostly mobile homes (trailers he called them) and sold them mostly on land contract basis.

Income was not his real concern, and with all this CASH pouring in, it almost made me want to grab a shovel and start digging, but having gotten to know the man, I probably would have hit one of the booby traps.

Gordon

And, yet...the headlight business was all about dealing with people.
I remember him posting some of his more frustrating encounters.
Gotta wonder why he would have tolerated it, with all that mail order money coming in.

Mystery of mysteries.

Ron

GordonJ June 15, 2018 08:50 PM

He had to develop a game to deal with people.

[quote=grooviegravy;39194]
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 39192)
When I went to New Mexico and stayed with THE BOZ (Bud Riggs) on his 200 acre desert ranch, replete with rattlesnakes, black widow spiders, rabid dogs and coyotes, mean barn owls, screeching hawks and creatures from the desert...it was a very educational time.

Gordon

And, yet...the headlight business was all about dealing with people.
I remember him posting some of his more frustrating encounters.
Gotta wonder why he would have tolerated it, with all that mail order money coming in.

Mystery of mysteries.

Ron

Not really a mystery, lots of people TOLERATE other people during the course of their business or work day. And, as often introverts are, he would make minimum effort in his approach, something we worked on when I got there, taught him the Go F yourself approach to selling.

But as annoyed as he might get in dealing with people at the car wash, he did much better at car lots and home work, where he would go to their home. Once I rode with him, we kept each other entertained, (remember m sign guy video?).

Those were wee annoyances and escape to the ranch did the trick. He couldn't escape the ONLINE ya hooos. They were there, on the computer, morning noon and night.

I thought he had a 100 k a year business and maybe more if he wanted to license it out, he freaked at that thought.

Cleaning Headlights was something he did to have SOME people interaction, another contradiction often found in introverts. When his wife got sick, he was all alone and so he went to town, and it was as much a people experiment as it was a science one for him. Financially, he just wanted to not have to go to the ATM for cash when they went out.

Headlight Cleaning quickly replaced the trips to the ATM.

I have no idea what his net worth was, other than he had a debt free lifestyle, 200 acre ranch, with landing strip and at one time a couple of airplanes, and an 18" thick brick house he built himself from the dirt on the premises. I guess, both he and his wife who invested heavily in SMC, with the idea to open a couple of times a week in town...

wanted something to do, as much as any money making stuff. I think when he passed, that SMC stuff was maybe tossed out? I know he had no idea what was in all those boxes and no desire to find out.

Yes, an enigma of a guy, private, secretive and why he did that stuff, we'll never know.

It seemed, after a while, he would come mumbling back to the truck with some quips and burns, and at times, I think he got more of a kick coming up with things to say about the jerks, than he got from actually doing a headlight. I did see him raise his price to 75 dollars for one lamp for a guy who he didn't like.

He was one of those oddball characters, once you get to know, is very interesting. I like those kind of people.

Why and what they get themselves into, often situations they create, which go against their personality, it does make one wonder, what the HEY?

PS, Cleaning Headlights could be easily done by a deaf person, cards on the windows, or a little card handed to someone...maybe a sell sheet, and even Larry the Mime could clean headlights.

GordonJ June 15, 2018 09:10 PM

We are actually almost ready to test this on a USB drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornell (Post 39193)
Thanks for the links :)

Yes, we do go way back...so let's go back to good old Don Alm and his putting info on floppy disks and giving them a teaser on it and then having to pay for the password to get the rest....

People today are lazy and/or just don't know how to do searches effectively. There is quite a market out there for CD/DVD's with simply links to search findings for a specific niche.

Email marketing to sell the product directly, or if one has resources to do similar to the floppy...rent list of niche market and send CD/DVD free in the mail with sampler on it and then online payment of $10 to get password to rest of the researched links.

If done properly it doesn't take much, or long, to generate a $10,000 payday.

Give credit where credit is due, Don did write about doing this, and he apparently had a lot of success with the locked floppy.

We are experimenting with a loaded USB drive, something like IronKey or Aegis, and loading all the Hotsheets AND reports on to them. Now maybe a locked course too.

So, you get the front end, ala Don, and have the backend too, just buy the key. Great idea, I think. If it gets to the front burner, we'll, for sure, let everyone know.

Lots of great ideas over the years, from Don, and Cornell, and Ron Ruiz, and the good old boys of eras gone bye bye. Still some of those old ideas in the back of the Popular Science would be viable, if one were so motivated.

Gordon

grooviegravy June 16, 2018 04:04 PM

Thanks for the follow up on Boz

I can only go by what he wrote here, and the email conversations I had with him.

He seemed like a decent guy, with a sense of humor. A fair minded, honorable man.

I'm sure he had more to give, but time ran out for him as it does for all of us.

I appreciate your thoughts about your experiences, when you went out west to visit him.

Keep up the good work here at Sowpub!

Ron