SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How to use "Operation Moneysuck" to make more money (and kick poverty in the shins) (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10940)

Dien Rice March 20, 2021 02:04 PM

How to use "Operation Moneysuck" to make more money (and kick poverty in the shins)

Copywriter John Carlton talks about something called "Operation Moneysuck"... Something he got from the late copywriter, Gary Halbert...

I've found recently that it's something that's helping me... Maybe it will help you avoid falling into a pit full of alligators...

I usually work from "to do" lists of some sort.

I tend to write everything I need "to do" in one place, and work from there...

That means EVERYTHING... Both business-related tasks, as well as non-business-related tasks...

I never get it all done each day, but that's okay... As long as I'm doggedly chipping away at it...

So, some example business-related tasks for me might be... writing a new sales page for a product... or writing a new newsletter article... or sending out an email promotion...

A non-business-related task for me might be... looking for a personal document I need... or buying something for my baby daughter that my wife has requested... or fixing the household thingymabob...

What I found is that most of the personal stuff was getting done, and the business (i.e. money making) stuff was NOT getting done! So something had to change...

What finally worked in fixing this was "Operation Moneysuck"...

Operation Moneysuck, in a nutshell, according to Gary Halbert, as quoted by John Carlton, is this...

"Screw all that irrelevant stuff. We're going to bring in the bucks."

That is, when you're in "Operation Moneysuck" mode - you ONLY do those things you need to do to bring in the dollars.

All the other stuff can wait... Till later. Right now, your focus is on the money.

I color-code all my tasks. My tasks which "bring in the money" are highlighted with a yellow background, like sunshine. All the other tasks are not highlighted, like a gray winter's day.

When I'm in "Operation Moneysuck" mode - I can ONLY do the yellow-highlighted tasks. The other tasks have to wait for later.

And... it worked!

I just wanted to share it here, in case it helps anyone dig themselves out of a hole...

You can read how John Carlton explains it here...

Operation MoneySuck 2.0
https://www.john-carlton.com/2011/02...moneysuck-2-0/

Best wishes,

Dien

MikePT March 20, 2021 03:29 PM

Re: How to use "Operation Moneysuck" to make more money (and kick poverty in the shins)

Awesome post Dien.

Thanks for sharing.

MikePT

GordonJ March 20, 2021 06:22 PM

And a part of that is INVESTING, so you don't have to go into emergency mode...

Well, it is solid advice for those who need it. A better lesson I learned from Gary was, have a long term plan. He taught this one, by NOT having one of his own.

I was always struck by the difference between Gary and Ben Suarez, whom he basically mentored in direct mail. And the even bigger contrast between Gary and his friend Harvey Brody.

Gary went into that OPERATION MONEYSUCK (OMS) quite often, because he had to. I don't know what was left at the end, if anything, but I do see where the INVEST for long term came in handy for both Ben and Harvey.

Ben wanted to build a business for his family, and today his Grandson is one of the chief officers of the company, and it has employed many family and friends. He planned for the future by investing some of his profits in building the business.

As Gary himself said, he wasn't suited for running a business and he had the skills to put OMS into quick action. Few of us have his genius.

At the other end, Harvey Brody built a business which was sustainable and has what, 55+ years of history behind his success. Harvey made a conscious decision to NOT have employees, and left a lucrative publishing business to focus on his TOLL positions.

So, I can see how this OMS can come in handy, and if that is the focus, then by all means close the doors and get er done.

But, after the Operation is over, maybe invest 10% in an absentee business...I know execs at SCI who owned car washes, modeling agencies, franchises, and other income producing businesses where combined, they never stop sucking up the dough.

We've been at it over 20 years now, and in that time I've seen many people put OMS into the highest gear, only to find out a year or two later, they are back at the "lock the doors" level.

Investing 10% into a long term financial goal when you are sucking in the money, allows you to be less frenzied when you must make some quick cash.

It is about FOCUS isn't it?, and "Where the head goes the body follows." And yes, sometimes our heads go to places which have gained our attention and need to be shuttered out.

Working on different projects in the course of a day, is one way to do an OMS and invest at the same time. One way is to leverage all that past work.

For example, a newsletter, after a year or so, could be turned into a book, the book into a course, the course could last for decades and produce some income all as the result of the FOCUS on doing the one thing which makes you the dough...in the case of the newsletter, WRITING IT AND GETTING IT OUT THERE.

Instead of a To Do list, how about adding a TO MAKE $$ TODAY list.

If one is in poor health, then it doesn't matter how much attention they give to the thing, because they may not be healthy enough to do it.

BALANCE and long term planning might serve many people better than than a state of frenzied, manic focus for short bursts of time. But if that is what is needed, then you got to do what you got to do.

Gordon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dien Rice (Post 41722)
Copywriter John Carlton talks about something called "Operation Moneysuck"... Something he got from the late copywriter, Gary Halbert...

I've found recently that it's something that's helping me... Maybe it will help you avoid falling into a pit full of alligators...

I usually work from "to do" lists of some sort.

I tend to write everything I need "to do" in one place, and work from there...

That means EVERYTHING... Both business-related tasks, as well as non-business-related tasks...

I never get it all done each day, but that's okay... As long as I'm doggedly chipping away at it...

So, some example business-related tasks for me might be... writing a new sales page for a product... or writing a new newsletter article... or sending out an email promotion...

A non-business-related task for me might be... looking for a personal document I need... or buying something for my baby daughter that my wife has requested... or fixing the household thingymabob...

What I found is that most of the personal stuff was getting done, and the business (i.e. money making) stuff was NOT getting done! So something had to change...

What finally worked in fixing this was "Operation Moneysuck"...

Operation Moneysuck, in a nutshell, according to Gary Halbert, as quoted by John Carlton, is this...

"Screw all that irrelevant stuff. We're going to bring in the bucks."

That is, when you're in "Operation Moneysuck" mode - you ONLY do those things you need to do to bring in the dollars.

All the other stuff can wait... Till later. Right now, your focus is on the money.

I color-code all my tasks. My tasks which "bring in the money" are highlighted with a yellow background, like sunshine. All the other tasks are not highlighted, like a gray winter's day.

When I'm in "Operation Moneysuck" mode - I can ONLY do the yellow-highlighted tasks. The other tasks have to wait for later.

And... it worked!

I just wanted to share it here, in case it helps anyone dig themselves out of a hole...

You can read how John Carlton explains it here...

Operation MoneySuck 2.0
https://www.john-carlton.com/2011/02...moneysuck-2-0/

Best wishes,

Dien

Dien Rice March 21, 2021 03:58 PM

Re: How to use "Operation Moneysuck" to make more money (and kick poverty in the shins)

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikePT (Post 41723)
Awesome post Dien.

Thanks for sharing.

MikePT

Thanks Mike!

Glad you liked it...

(Makes up for all the bad stuff I write...) ;)

Best wishes,

Dien

Dien Rice March 21, 2021 04:19 PM

All good advice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 41724)
Instead of a To Do list, how about adding a TO MAKE $$ TODAY list.

If one is in poor health, then it doesn't matter how much attention they give to the thing, because they may not be healthy enough to do it.

BALANCE and long term planning might serve many people better than than a state of frenzied, manic focus for short bursts of time. But if that is what is needed, then you got to do what you got to do.

Hi Gordon,

All good advice, of course!

I do have other passive income sources... that make money (usually) when I sleep.

But the pandemic effectively shut a main one of mine down, and it probably won't come back up till later in the year... (Note to self: need pandemic-proof passive income!)

My "make money today" list is within my bigger list (I color-code it)...

But, if I'm not careful, I've found my time can be completely swallowed up by my family, including my infant daughter...

This daughter of mine is VERY active... We suspect she has two undiagnosed ADHD-type parents. (Yes, she is our biological child...) So that might be a factor!

When she falls asleep, it's a relief!

Her grandmother (my wife's mother) has commented how how she is so much more active any any of her own kids were... She says she'd be happy to look after our daughter for the whole day, but after just a couple hours with my wife and daughter, and she's exhausted... While my daughter is still full of boundless energy! (I think they should use her in the next Energizer Bunny commercial!)

Health is also very important! I was very sluggish a few years ago... A result of diabetes that wasn't well treated. After getting some good medication, I'm back to feeling "normal" healthwise, and it's amazing...! (Sluggishness ain't good for business... No slugs are on the Forbes 400 Rich List... I've checked.) :)

Best wishes,

Dien

MikePT March 24, 2021 08:22 AM

(I think they should use her in the next Energizer Bunny commercial!)

That's a good passive investment for income! :D

MikePT