SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Should I get an Instant pot? Anyone using one? (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10722)

GordonJ August 2, 2020 04:05 PM

Should I get an Instant pot? Anyone using one?

Instant Pots have been hot for awhile, and with the Covid crisis, I think even hotter. But I have resisted. Maybe time to get one????

Of course, I'm thinking of creating info products on some unique things to make in them, food and meals of course, but some other ideas too.

Anyone? Muffin man? Cookie Monster? Mug dude?

Gordon

GordonJ August 2, 2020 04:19 PM

Moonshine or distilled water?

According to Mother Earth News, here:

https://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/...r-ze0z1908zsta

You can get distilled water from your instant pot, so, I assume, some moonshine or maybe 91 proof "alcohol" for cleaning purposes???

Now, Instant Pot or Distilled Water Kit. HMMMM.

gj

GordonJ August 2, 2020 04:28 PM

Candles, crayons, potpourri, soaps, salves...going to order my Instant pot today.

A little research, and I find myself wanting an Instant Pot.

I have an old family recipe for FRUIT CAKE for the holidays, very good, very high alcohol content (no wonder my family loved it).

Now with an Instant Pot, I can make the moonshine to use in the fermenting of the fruit, sweet Mary Jane, HEY, maybe I can make a legal edible in my Instant Pot. No wonder these things are so dang popular.

Man, I've been missing out. Instant Pot, here I come.

Gordon

jsansi August 2, 2020 05:08 PM

Re: Should I get an Instant pot? Anyone using one?

Its handy and can do a lot of stuff quickly thanks to pressure cooking. (tip, use LESS water ... just enough so it doesn't turn off from burn mode)

But, sometimes you don't want "wet" steam cooked food. So no crispy chicken unless you have the newer models with a broiler gizmo. And it just seems like a hassle to cook once in the pot and then throw under the broiler to crisp stuff up.

Overall it gets used weekly. Not being a baker probably means less use than otherwise would.

Dien Rice August 2, 2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 41000)
Instant Pots have been hot for awhile, and with the Covid crisis, I think even hotter. But I have resisted. Maybe time to get one????

Of course, I'm thinking of creating info products on some unique things to make in them, food and meals of course, but some other ideas too.

Anyone? Muffin man? Cookie Monster? Mug dude?

Hi Gordon,

I didn't even know about them! Shows what a klutz I am in the kitchen...

Sounds great though!

Especially now, with more people probably cooking their own meals compared to before... Could be good timing to target the "Instant Pot" user market...!

Best wishes,

Dien

GordonJ August 4, 2020 08:53 AM

Thank you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsansi (Post 41003)
Its handy and can do a lot of stuff quickly thanks to pressure cooking. (tip, use LESS water ... just enough so it doesn't turn off from burn mode)

But, sometimes you don't want "wet" steam cooked food. So no crispy chicken unless you have the newer models with a broiler gizmo. And it just seems like a hassle to cook once in the pot and then throw under the broiler to crisp stuff up.

Overall it gets used weekly. Not being a baker probably means less use than otherwise would.

I'm getting a couple of them, one with all the settings and air circulator too.

My big focus is on our family secret 90 proof FRUITCAKE, iffin I make it to XMas, I want to get the family soused on MUFFINS.

Thanks for sharing.

GordonJ

Dien Rice January 6, 2021 08:13 AM

Any "instant pot" ideas?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 41000)

We just got an "instant pot"-like cooker as a gift (from someone who felt sorry for how we eat... we're so busy with the baby)...

(From what I can tell, it does everything an "instant pot" does, except it doesn't have a preset "yogurt" function!)

Just made some chicken soup, putting in chicken bones to make the soup stock... Tasted pretty good!

Would love to hear any other recommendations... :)

Best wishes,

Dien

jsansi January 6, 2021 11:31 AM

Mine gets regular use, maybe weekly. Doing leftover new years ham into pea soup today.

It does well with meats you want to braise. And things like hard boiled eggs. Spaghetti sauce. Quick cooked artichokes. Have done batches of yogurt, but the key to that is finding a good "starter" culture ... because they can produce a vastly different result.

Use the minimum amount of water. Pressure cooking is fast, but it takes time to heat up a lot of liquid.

Dien Rice January 7, 2021 07:44 AM

Keen to try a "roast"...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsansi (Post 41503)
Mine gets regular use, maybe weekly. Doing leftover new years ham into pea soup today.

It does well with meats you want to braise. And things like hard boiled eggs. Spaghetti sauce. Quick cooked artichokes. Have done batches of yogurt, but the key to that is finding a good "starter" culture ... because they can produce a vastly different result.

Use the minimum amount of water. Pressure cooking is fast, but it takes time to heat up a lot of liquid.

Hi jsansi,

Thanks for the inspiration!

So far I've just made the soup... But I'm keen to try a more kind of "roast"-type of dish (which apparently can be done too)!

Best wishes, :)

Dien