SOWPub Small Business Forums

SOWPub Small Business Forums (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/index.php)
-   SOWPub Business Forum (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1923. Sonny Bono and the coming release into public domain. (http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10269)

GordonJ December 26, 2018 09:44 AM

1923. Sonny Bono and the coming release into public domain.

Want a free product? Google or Bing copyrights 2019, and see what comes up. It has been discussed for months.

For the first time in 20 years, thanks to the Sonny Bono Copyright Act, there will be a release into the public domain, a LOT of work, and for those of you who might be interested...

a good time to search for what is going to be made available and put your thinking caps on, HOW can you use this information, and find some work which you can now use, completely, and not just under fair use, to create a product.

I have my eye on several things, mostly arcane, little known, but successfully sold works which may be ready for a comeback. Nothing beats making the old new again to generations who haven't been exposed.

Lots of lists popping up about what will be available.

If you don't yet know how (why?) to use the deeper Google searches, it would behoove you to do so.

ONE old book, tome, or even picture or song could be another income stream to add to your pipeline.

PUBLIC DOMAIN. A few have made their fortunes from PD, and don't forget the Government publishes a lot of stuff you could put to work for you too.

Gordon

Dien Rice January 9, 2019 08:33 AM

How to profit from the new public domain works...

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 39502)
Want a free product? Google or Bing copyrights 2019, and see what comes up. It has been discussed for months.

For the first time in 20 years, thanks to the Sonny Bono Copyright Act, there will be a release into the public domain, a LOT of work, and for those of you who might be interested...

a good time to search for what is going to be made available and put your thinking caps on, HOW can you use this information, and find some work which you can now use, completely, and not just under fair use, to create a product.

I have my eye on several things, mostly arcane, little known, but successfully sold works which may be ready for a comeback. Nothing beats making the old new again to generations who haven't been exposed.

If you don't yet know how (why?) to use the deeper Google searches, it would behoove you to do so.

ONE old book, tome, or even picture or song could be another income stream to add to your pipeline.

PUBLIC DOMAIN. A few have made their fortunes from PD, and don't forget the Government publishes a lot of stuff you could put to work for you too.

Hi Gordon,

To my understanding, virtually everything from 1923 is now public domain!

That includes books, movies, songs...

"Yes, we have no bananas!" - now the song is public domain! You can belt out your own version and sell it... :)

There's opportunity here - especially in creating your own "versions" or annotations. The reason why that's important is, if you modify it, you can claim copyright on the new work, and others can't (legally) copy it...

♪ Yes, we have no piranhas...
We have no piranhas, today! ♫

Best wishes, :)

Dien

Article: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-...ain-180971016/

sirius584 January 27, 2019 05:44 AM

Re: 1923. Sonny Bono and the coming release into public domain.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonJ (Post 39502)

a good time to search for what is going to be made available and put your thinking caps on, HOW can you use the information, and find some work which you can now use, completely, and not just under fair use, to create a product.

Gordon

amazing right-up

GordonJ January 27, 2019 12:32 PM

Here is a million dollar idea for you sirius584, although...

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirius584 (Post 39586)
amazing right-up

You might need some help with spelling.

A work that won't see the light of day, but one that has a lot of energy behind it.

I have TWO follow ups to:

THE PROPHET, by Kahlil Gibran.

It is a best seller. A beloved book often used as a gift. And today, it is in the public domain.

Here is a synopsis, courtesy of Wikipedia:

The prophet, Al Mustafa, has lived in the city of Orphalese for 12 years and is about to board a ship which will carry him home. He is stopped by a group of people, with whom he discusses topics such as life and the human condition. The book is divided into chapters dealing with love, marriage, children, giving, eating and drinking, work, joy and sorrow, houses, clothes, buying and selling, crime and punishment, laws, freedom, reason and passion, pain, self-knowledge, teaching, friendship, talking, time, good and evil, prayer, pleasure, beauty, religion, and death.

OK. My two derivative works would be:

ONE. Aboard the ship, a merchant continues the conversation focused around BUYING AND SELLING, and Al Mustafa expands on his talk he gave to the people of Orphalese. It would be business oriented. Targeted toward those who might have liked THE ONE MINUTE MANAGER or the work of Og Mandino.

A lot of Mandino's work is a lot like the format of the PROPHET.

So, I know there is an AUDIENCE, a target market. Using principles that Glenn Osborn has discussed, as he saw them applied to the CHICKEN SOUP franchise, with many collaborators...would be how I might market the book.

TWO. A book with many small blurbs, beneath and added to the original text. This would target a more general SELF HELP or self-improvement market.

What would Al Mustafa say today? If he were parting NYC headed back to his small Mediterranean Island home after 12 years of Big Apple life?

THE PROPHET, just one of dozens of books from 1923 and even before that which could be used as a FRAMEWORK, and one could build a FOUNDATION on it with some FOCUS and intent.

There isn't enough time to get all of our creative babies out of our heads, I think a study of JAMES PATTERSON, and his work with co-authors would have been a good idea for me...

and is still a good idea for some of you. YOU don't need to write it all, or do it all. James Patterson, one of the wealthiest writers ever doesn't, Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hanson don't and you don't have to do it all either.

USE what is available, leverage other people's time, energy and create something useful, and if it has value, the marketplace will reward you for it.

GordonJ