View Single Post
Old November 11, 2020, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Default I want to elaborate, a little bit, on INTERRUPTION INFLUENCE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
Gordon,

In just a few words you have explained such a lovely gold nugget.

Interruption.

A virtual stop sign to buy.

Your wealth of experience and knowledge is being IGNORED by a LOT of people.

So glad you give us "kicks in the pants" to help us remember the real secrets.

I appreciate it greatly.

Millard

Today, the marketing crowd, and especially copywriters, tire me out. Of course, they have something to sell, so they have to hammer away about the methods, techniques (theirs) which leads one to the promised land of copy.

The truth, and they all hate to hear it...those MAD MEN and that Direct Response generation, sold a lot of JUNK. Useless and meaningless, over hyped product which in many cases weren't even as good as Walmart cheap stuff, and in some, even dangerous.

Millions were made selling (hyping) diet pills, which contained Ephedra, and DNP and once people started dying, then those who are supposed to protect took a little action.

Although, I am NOT one to condemn anyone for buying anything they want, even dangerous drugs, like my two pack a day dad, who died a miserable and horrible death from Emphysema (and didn't stop my younger brother from being in the Marlboro club, wearing all that advertising he paid for)...

That isn't my point. Keep you cig smoke out of my face, and do as you please.

But, there is a reverence for those guys who HYPED "Age Defying Hollywood Skin Cream", or even Ant Farms or Spud Guns. We can buy anything we want, and just because someone made tons of money selling Astrology reports, or how to get rich type booklets, doesn't make them a genius.

I don't get the pedestal some of these convicted Felons have been put up on.

Persuading people to buy Pet Rocks? That's genius? Maybe it is. But the industry today is being built upon that West Coast HYPE, big promise, big dream copy style, for...well, a lot of shetty products. Buyer beware.

OK, end of rant.

When one learns and applies the INTERRUPTION concept, and knows who and where the interruption happens, then a more honest rapport can be built and less hype is needed to sell stuff. If it needs long copy to be sold, I wonder about it.

I feel today's batch of copywriters are like muggers in an alley, just waiting for me to stumble by and then exposing their fake...

rolexes on their rain coat. But most don't feel like this.

Acknowledge you are interrupting someone, and try to make it worth while to THEM, not just profitable for you, that is all I'm saying, and there may be more to add.

Gordon