View Single Post
Old April 4, 2019, 01:46 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default What is success, grasshopper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Alcohol, drugs, religion and money are the addictions we've created to deal with the harshness and realities of life.

But is an addiction to being rich ala TRUMP any less destructive than the guy with a pint of Pagan pink in his pocket in the back alley?

Bums are bums. And some of them are very successful at being bums, be it from a White House or from the sidewalks and skid rows of modern America.
Hi Gordon,

I have what might be an unusual point of view...

What is success?

I don't think wealth (in and of itself) is necessarily success... Because some wealthy people could be very miserable.

Also, there isn't just one measure of success...

Traveling the world, being in a new country every month, for some people is the ultimate success! (For some, it's the "perpetual traveler" lifestyle... For others it could come from being a kind of travel journalist, there are an increasing number of them now on YouTube, who live off of their YouTube earnings... Here's one such person I sometimes watch - Gabriel Traveler - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgZ...STDS0l6f_QnrXw )

For others, it would be their biggest nightmare! Some people like knowing where all the things they want are... Transplant them to a new city, and they have to find all those places again!

(I'm the traveling type - I love it. I love jumping into new locations where I can explore... A very good friend of mine is the opposite, he hates it! We both live in Melbourne, Australia. Only once in his life did my friend travel outside of Melbourne - to another Australian city, called Brisbane, for about a week, for a film festival he was participating in... And for him, it was a nightmare. He didn't know where to go to get the things he wanted!)

So, what "success" means is different from one person to another...

I think a person can be happy as long as his or her basic needs are covered (food, shelter, healthcare...) Once your basic needs are covered, I think the rest comes from your own attitude...

Not sure where this was leading, but I guess it led here...

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : April 4, 2019 at 02:02 AM.