View Single Post
Old April 3, 2020, 07:40 PM
dalm

Default Marketing question

Hey.....seating in EVERY restaurant in the country is now shut down SO....I thought I'd toss out a "food for thought" item.

Waay baack in 1990, when my wife and I bought a house here (in Roseburg, Oregon pop 22,000)....we started up an Antique Shoppe and joined the local Chamber.

Well....at the first Chamber Meeting there was an owner of a "FAX" Sales & Service biz (you DO remember Fax Machines?) and I "just happened" to be sitting at a table with 3 local restaurant owners. So....I got one of my "Marketing Flashes".....when he was finished....I stood up and asked...."Hey! How many biz owners here...have a Fax?

Out of approx 100 people .....almost every biz owner's hand went up. I then asked...."Would you Fax Owners like to have local restaurants....FAX you their "Daily Lunch Special"? Would that be of interest to your Office Workers?"

Again...almost every hand went up. So I turned to the restaurant owners at my table and said...."Hey Guys!" Here's YOUR chance to "be of service" to local Offices!"

The 3 restaurant owners at my table....and at other tables....all yelled..."Hey Don! Why don't YOU set this up?"

So....."FAX BUX" was born. I put together a sheet of paper I called "The Daily Fax".....got 8 restaurant owners to agree to pay me $50 a Week ($10 a day) for 6 weeks ($300 each....$2,400)...to have me place their Daily Special on my "Daily Fax" (After the first 6 wks I raised the price)

I then went around to local biz offices and got 50 local offices to agree to accept my "Daily Fax" and put it up on their Bulletin Boards. I then went to other towns and eventually wound up with 6 Oregon Towns.

Which brings me to TODAY....April 3, 2020. Fax machines are passe.....but most of the restaurants that are still open....offer Take-Out and/or Delivery.

I'm thinking that MAYBE.....there's a way to let local Consumers and/or local offices know about the "Daily Specials"....offered by local restaurants for Take-Out or Delivery.

This is just in the "Thinking Stage" so I haven't done much thinking yet or heard about anyone doing something like this in other areas.....I'm just VERY CONCERNED about finding a way to help local restaurant owners get more business.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Don Alm