View Single Post
Old February 23, 2002, 10:08 AM
Mike Rodman

Default My Brush With Deception

Michael ~

Couldn't agree personally with you more. When my ex-wife and I shut down our hobby site on cross-stitching, we explored the family 'Coat-of-Arms', as cross stitch patterns.

I had access to quite a list of recent buyers and had considered designing a 'Coat-of-Arms' pattern where they could stitch their names across the top. Along with their town or city across the bottom.

Even went so far as to do the actual designing and layout of the pattern.

Using the Nancy Letter as a template and beginning the test price at $49.95 (This WAS a SPECIALTY ITEM "DESIGNED" just for them... "Perceived Value"), we were almost set to go.

Except it just didn't feel right... A 'Coat-of-Arms' isn't anything historical as you mention. There is no doubt in my mind with the innocence and trustworthiness of the average cross-stitcher, this would have done very well. We cancelled the project.

One thing about being able to create a project so quickly and implement it is.. You get so wrapped up in your development you lose sight of the things around you.

Would it have worked??? Yes...

Would it have pulled many orders??? I believe so...

Could I have cashed the checks??? Oh yeah!!!

Would I have had a nagging voice in the back of my mind??? Certainly would have...

End decision??? Not worth it...

It wasn't illegal and no laws would have been broken. The project was all on the up-and-up as far as legalities were concerned. But it came to close to line for me...

Good call on your reply Michael... Many new people to the Internet are so wrapped up into creating a product or pushing a MLM or affiliate program, they lose sight of the bigger picture for them self. And get involved in something questionable before they realize it.

Success and Regards... Mike

www.CrashCourseMarketing.com
...The fastest growing eZine for Sales
Professionals and Internet Marketers...