View Single Post
Old March 26, 2015, 09:56 PM
Robert J.

Default Re: Headlight Cleaning

There is a need for headlight cleaning. As mentioned above ... just look around.

People need clean headlights. But they don't WANT clean headlights. I think that's where this gets a little dicey.

Sell the sizzle, not the steak. But there's no sizzle to cleaning lights. Except, of course, if somebody is trying to sell the car. Then the sizzle is the additional coin he/she can make.

Obviously, you can make money doing this. There's lots of products and opportunities out there that involve buffing up those weathered low-beams. But it is going to take some old fashion effort, getting out there, talking to people, and dealing with rejection.

A thick skin, a "people personality," and the right chemicals/method will go a long way.

Wholesaling the product, though, is a whole different nut. There are so many products on the shelves at auto stores and big box discounters.

I think you'll need top-quality marketing, design and packaging to make even a small dent in the competition.

What always intrigued me was the idea of selling some "proprietary formula" stuff at fairs/flea markets/farmers markets ... stuff like that. Basically a huckster, selling the product with a captivating spiel and effective demo. Still, back to the original problem: Nobody WANTS clean headlamps.