View Single Post
Old April 29, 2022, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Default Dan Kennedy is once again going old school...

For what my 2 cents is worth these days:

I think a local newsletter, or regional, might be of value to local businesses, although, their local groups; merchant associations, BBB, CoC, etc., may be their primary source of local news.

Just yesterday, I spoke to a printer re: A CHRISTMAS edition of Old Timey Cuyahoga Falls, complete with stories of the past, interviews, pics a lot of NOSTALGIA, and with over 35,000 grads from City high schools this past quarter of a century...it could be a nice sell to out of towners for 5 to 10 bux a pop...as well as a current advertising vehicle for today's merchants.

These type of things have been done in the past, and once an initial one goes out, the next edition can be "written for you"
from readers/contributors.

Putting together all the numbers, could be ERY lucrative, although I would probably outsource all of the selling.

A limited run, maybe 2500 or so, might do the trick.

Also, on my far back burners...I have a course COPYWRITING/MARKETING, with the first hard copy thing sent being 9x12 postcards, where one can use dry erase markers to work out headlines, preoccupational interrupters, and then once a month or every other week, they would get another "edition" of the Newsletter to build out the course.

I still like to get hard copies in the mail, talked about Scoopied before,

https://www.scoopified.net/ and some other paper newsletters.

It can be done, but I would TEST it at a very small scale before I committed to doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Millard,

Off the top of my head, I can only think of one printed physical paid-subscription newsletter I am aware of... That's the Doberman Dan Letter, about marketing and copywriting, by Doberman Dan...

It's paper and ink, and sent through the mail. Not cheap though... I just looked through one of his promotions, and it's $199 per month (with some other bonuses included)...

(I'm not a subscriber. But I did buy a big box of his printed newsletters once, years ago...)

I also once did a stint working for a subsidiary of The Agora. Agora consider themselves to be the world's largest newsletter publisher... I don't know the exact number of paid-subscription monthly newsletters published by all their subsidiaries, but it would definitely be well over 100 (maybe even over 200)...

However, all of their newsletters nowadays (to my knowledge) are electronic. You subscribe, and it's a kind of "membership website" type of thing, where your password gets you into the newsletters you've subscribed to...

You can read them online, or download them as PDF files...

(Each Agora subsidiary is independent of each other... They all compete with each other.)

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : April 29, 2022 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Formatting