View Single Post
Old March 6, 2002, 12:13 AM
Dien Rice

Default My mistakes when I provided web site development services....

Hi Paul,

Interesting post! Thanks for bringing up these topics... :)

Do you mind if I ask what offline service that person offers? It would get the picture more clearly in my mind....

By the way, for a short time last year I was involved in creating web sites for clients (as part of an offline JV). I found that it was a lot of work, because clients always wanted this or that adjusted. Our idea was to offer low-priced (essentially generic) web sites.... But it was a lot of work trying to get it "just right" so the client was satisfied.

I think the flaw now was our low-price approach.... We couldn't afford to make all the adjustments the client wanted with our low-price model. (It took too much time, given what we were charging.)

NOW I know why web site developers charge so much for their services! And I think they earn every penny.... :)

If I were to do it again, I would DEFINITELY target "high end" customers.... That way, I could afford to give them exactly what they wanted.... :)

But life is about learning.... Show me someone who's never made a mistake, and I'll show you someone who's never really tried anything new! The important thing is whether you LEARN from your mistakes!

- Dien Rice