View Single Post
Old April 13, 2021, 08:57 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default I feel he's not that unusual... and we can adapt it for our own success...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
Thanks for sharing, Dien

Calling him just a "would-be author" has to be quite an understatement.

Dr Eric Maikranz has worked as a

- welder

- bouncer

- radio DJ

- book critic

- tour guide

- translator (he studied Russian literature)

- tech professional

and other jobs before writing his debut novel.

In fact, Dr Eric still works at Oracle as a vice-president at their Denver offices.

Why am I stressing these facts?

A lot of "lucky" coincidences are anything but. There's usually a PLAN that can be teased out from reading between the lines.

[Speaking of a PLAN, at this point, I'm supposed to plug Gordon's brilliant guide on setting up ACTION PLANS that really work. But I won't...]

Seriously, behind the flashy headlines, I can see a success story that was really built on YEARS of building up the right network of skills and the right people.

Thanks again for sharing, Dien
Hi UnPinkPanther,

I have a list of "jobs" as long as my arm, too, especially if you count business ventures...

(Maybe the most unusual is, with a business partner, we exported products from Australia to Gambia, West Africa, and we set up our own store there... I went back to Australia, though, after about 7 weeks, and my partner ran the shop...)

I think many fiction writers actually TRY to have many different experiences... So they can write about them in their fiction (changing everyone's names, of course)...

I don't think Eric is a "Dr" to my knowledge (just his first initial is "D.")...

I was trying to emphasize that I don't think he's that unusual...

And, this was his first book. He had never been published... He didn't even have a publisher, and self-published his book... Yet he had the audacity to go for a Hollywood movie...

And he did it!

And I wanted to share how he did it... Which is a strategy really any one of us could use or adapt...

I'll have to think how I will adapt it (as I'm not a fiction writer), but I feel it's a good approach nonetheless! Why not ask your "audience" for help in getting where you want to go - and offer a "reward" if they can help you do it?

Best wishes,

Dien