View Single Post
Old October 9, 2006, 12:53 PM
Sandi Bowman

Default Re: Move Over Apprentice here comes the Dragons Den

Very astute observations, Duane.

I'll tend to disagree slightly with one thing you expressed, however. When I viewed the other episodes ect, I did not feel, with one exception, that the dragons were necessarily eliminating things that didn't tie in with their existing businesses. In fact, I got the opposite impression...that they were, to a certain extent, seeking to diversify.

The things they seemed very adamant about is that there'd be little interest in manufacturing hard goods for the most part and that none of the money would be allocated strictly for wages. That makes sense to me. Wages are a waterfall and, once it's unleashed, it's gone and no guarantee of a return. On the other hand, anything that builds product or value in the company stands a hope of recovery should liquidation occur.

One other point: they all seemed to be looking for a certain level of committment in the presenters...an enthusiasm that, while tempered by reality, would brook no interference in the process to get going on it. You might call it a devotion to their project and willingness to give the last ounce of energy to see it succeed. They're right again: sometimes sheer gutsy determination makes the difference between success and failure.

Very educational to watch the process and the interpersonal interactions. Wish I could see more of it.

Sandi Bowman