View Single Post
Old July 5, 2007, 08:07 PM
Tim Thach

Default Don't Give Up Just Yet...Here's Three Ideas

Hi Bea,

I served for over 20 years in the U.S. Air Force. Each time I was selected for reassignment, I received a “Sponsors Package.” It was a large manila envelope which contained really cool information about where I was being reassigned. I’m willing to bet the other branches of service do the same.

The Base Personnel Office usually was the central authority for the content of the Sponsors Package. Personnel in the unit orderly rooms would go and get however many packages they needed when they needed them. (I’m sure you could get a good rounded number on how many are distributed each year.) They probably send out thousands each year, each base. Not everyone who gets orders for reassignment actually arrives for various reasons.

Also, the central office where families get all kinds of goodies (free oil changes, one or two days of free day care a month, free lawn care, etc.) is the Family Support Center. The folks there are just about as nice a people that you’ll ever meet. They have a section just for supporting the families of our deployed troops.

Become friendly with the offices on base which will be distributing your material. I’m sure they’ll be happy to include what you’re offering to their distribution system, for free (they can’t charge for this!)

1. Get the distribution number of the sponsor packages. Make a Hotsheet of local business which offer military discounts.

2. Ask local businesses what they would be willing to give-a-way or discount to support the families of deployed troops. You goods will be distributed through the Family Support Center. They verify who is actually deployed. They usually hand the goodies packages out just before the family member deploys.

3. The base where I work now, as a civilian employee, has a humongous civilian workforce. The civilian personnel office holds a big hiring event each month at the local State workforce services office. At this event, they too hand out a “welcome” package.” Good for distributing “We support those who work at xxx” offers.

Tim