View Single Post
Old September 28, 2021, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Default Food for thought.

Sure, buy a bucket full of dough. Better have mucho amounts of liability insurance. Serving food to people is a business which is not only licensed, it is very litigious when sickness comes into play...

What you say may work for the local PTA bake sale, but for a commercial venture, YIKES.

Now it isn't anything new, the local Insomnia cookies,
https://insomniacookies.com/

Caters to the late night student crowd (read stoned or high wanting munchies) and that is a good market, which they have identified.

The cookie business does not have very good margins either, it is a volume business. It needs to be constantly baking, there is little time for doing anything else. I know several cookie (and you will find in the archives, stories about a local cake baker who owned a candy shop and made all sorts of treats, and who is now out of business) shops and bakers.

I would say all of them have a very modest income with a high amount of time spent working.

I wouldn't touch this idea with a long pole.

The problem they have, like all businesses, is a steady stream of customers.

Now, I did make a thousand bux in a day at a local flea market selling giant chocolate chip cookies, which were made the night before in a local pizza shop and warmed on site by the sun. But that was a long time ago, I would not attempt that today without some insurance.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
A recent email from Dien Rice talked about some options for restaurant delivery for one person.

I wonder if this could be adapted for bakeries?

Hmmm... Of course it could !

How many wedding cakes or anniversary cakes have been delivered ?

I haven't heard of any home bakers doing something like this, but wouldn't it be interesting to get home-baked chocolate chip cookies that you didn't have to bake yourself ?

I guess the bottom-line might be laziness.

How hard is it to buy some pre-made rolls of cookies and cut out a few... then bake ?