View Single Post
Old February 25, 2019, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Default The wind, ice and rain. NO global warming here, eh?

Dien and I have had a lot of different business experiences, my default preference, which has been a lifetime of nuance, is PUBLISHING. Wanted to write and publish since about 9. My old toy rubber printing press turned out a nice 4x6 "Newspaper", hand delivered to about 10 neighbors. News, gossip, and an ad. Something like:

Polly got stung by a bee.
Sue rode her pony at the fair.
Jay will pull weeds. Just yell.

That was about it. It was published as ink supply allowed, after a hard day of weed pulling, I might turn out two or three issues in a day. No work, no press.

I've had the typical childhood Entrepreneur routes too, sold flowers and seeds door to door. Sold Christmas Cards and wrapping paper, GRIT newspaper, then at 15...I began an advertising business with the ACTION AD CLOCKS (story and pics in the archive). I also sold kitchen products from the KRISTEE PRODUCTS COMPANY, and later did very well with the defender of women pepper spray.

Besides my 20 years of various social work, I've taught golf, delivered singing telegrams, wrote resumes...and had a whole bunch of temp jobs too.

But PUBLISHING has always been my cornerstone. When Joe Karbo introduced me to the HOTSHEET, it really changed things up. The story, the Cliff Notes version, is, Joe paid 20 bux a week for a one page flyer for BOATS FOR SALE, which had a price reduction. A limited number, about 200 were mailed out and received a day before the info was made public. It gave Joe and his group time to make a decision on whether to buy a boat or not.

I thought it was a lot of money for a single sheet of paper, but Joe and his pals would have paid much more, BECAUSE it was HOT information.

A HOTSHEET, in my opinion, has a limited shelf life, and limited distribution.

Along with the Yacht and Boat HOTSHEET, he also got a few in the mail for liquidations, close outs and overstocks.
Back then, no faxes even, so everything was done on phone (with expensive long distance) and via mail, the letter.

I've beaten the PUBLISHING horse to a glue like state, and today, the Internet takes the place of much of the "paper and ink" products/projects of days gone bye.

Now, here is something I don't get. And more than a few of you may feel like I'm throwing darts in your direction, well, I probably am.

You are online. You have a computer or access to one. Probably have a smart phone too.

With a place like Rev.com available to you, for 1 dollar a minute, a 15 minute TALK, is easily and quickly converted to text. My last transcription was 20 minutes, and although they ask for 48 hours, I had my text back in about 3 hours of the same day...and it was perfect.

I added some pics, formatted a bit, used some bullet points, emphasis and VOILA a one day INFO product. Nothing earth shattering, but still a PRODUCT which I could sell, or give away, or use for other things...but the point, I had a

PRODUCT. DONE IN A DAY.

And some of you reading this, could, NO, SHOULD do the exact same thing.

But, it is your time, your life, go ahead mosey along now, take your sweet time, get everything lined up, organized, perfected and maybe some day, when you get around too it, you'll have a product.

It is one of the prime reasons I don't consult anymore, nor offer those services...many other people out there to motivate, and coach you to your goals. I don't have the time to wait on people who don't have a sense of urgency about their lives, their projects, their products.

I think URGENCY is one of the prime reasons why some people can get a lot done while other folks, the majority, never get around to getting their one brilliant idea out of their heads.

Anyhow, PUBLISHING is still one of the avenues to consider for your side hustle, full time gig, a now and then thing, or as a hobby even. From HOTSHEETS to books and courses and everything in between.

Try it.

GordonJ

Last edited by GordonJ : February 25, 2019 at 11:04 AM.