View Single Post
Old June 7, 2021, 04:48 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default How to Learn, but also Do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
These days, we are all flooded with business information from every angle. If you are reading this, you are probably here on SOWPub looking for information to help you reach some business goal/objective.

How do you make sure you get information that will really help your business or idea?

I see a lot of people make the mistake of thinking that “more is always better”. I made that mistake myself, looking for more and more information on certain enterprises.

You can imagine how embarrassing it can be to have consumed HOURS of content on “How to become a Business Owner” for YEARS - without ever owning a business.

How can you avoid that happening to you?
Hi Mr. U.P.P.,

The topic you talk about is a very important one, of course... It's fun learning, but not so useful if you never use it!

In my opinion, you still need to be a lifelong learner...

For one thing, you're going to increase your skills and increase your chance of success. But...

You have to combine that with actually doing stuff... You can't only learn, you also have to be doing...

So, how do you do that?

There's more than one way...

One way that I found works for me - which I don't do all the time, but which I do sometimes - is called "Operation MoneySuck," which comes from the late Gary Halbert... But the best exposé of it is from John Carlton, who worked with him. They're both very well-known copywriters...

The absolute gist of "Operation MoneySuck" is that you simply focus on doing what brings in the money... You don't focus on anything else.

The reality is, if you create a big "to do" list of everything you need to do, some of those things will bring in the money... and some of those things won't.

Those other things might be favors for friends which they've asked you to do... They might be things you need to fix around the house... They might be regular chores... They might be social obligations... It might be tidying up all your computer cables... It might be alphabetizing your book collection... It might be polishing your collection of ping pong balls...

There are usually a lot of things on our "to do" lists that don't directly bring in money...

So the key to "Operation MoneySuck" is, for a specific time period during the day, you cut out all the stuff that doesn't make money... During that time, you exclusively only do those things that bring in money.

I found that this approach does work for me.

I've tried it out, and it made me more productive... (I have to juggle taking care of a one-year-old child now, so it's a little more difficult now than before!)

So that's one approach.

Here's the link to find out more.

Operation MoneySuck 2.0
https://www.john-carlton.com/2011/02...moneysuck-2-0/

I've also more recently been creating daily checklists... instead of a normal "to do" list, it's a checklist.

I think there's a kind of mental satisfaction in checking the box... You feel a sense of achievement, and that keeps you going and makes you feel good about actually getting things done.

(I break up all longer tasks into a series of shorter steps, each with its own check box... That way, I get the satisfaction of checking each box as I go along...)

I may go into detail about this at some point in the future... But I also found that this works for me.

I mainly put key money-making activities on the check list...

Having said all that, I do think you do need to have the attitude of being a lifelong learner, but you also really have to combine the learning with doing.

And it's also good to have a testing mindset...

I mean, wow, you can really learn from Glenn's approach here on the forum and also in Glenn's own email list and on his own websites. Just test, test, test...

The thing is, you can read what's worked for someone else. It may not work exactly that way for you.

There are many reasons why... The time could be a different time. You could have a different type of audience that reacts to something differently...

There are so many different variables so that you really have to test to see if it works for what you're doing...

Just taking what someone has done and applying it yourself may work... Or, it may not, but it's definitely a way forward. You have to test and tweak it...

Thanks a lot for raising the topic...!

Best wishes,

Dien