View Single Post
Old September 29, 2003, 05:38 PM
Dien Rice

Default You can achieve more of your dreams with effective motivation...

> When trying to achieve inspiration and
> motivation for a business
> venture, what motivates you most between
> these two sources...?

> (

> 1. Other's personal success stories in your
> industry of interest. (ex.
> Format of "Chicken Soup For The
> _______")

> 2. A step by step "How To..."
> guideline to reaching your goal in your
> industry of interest. (ex. Format of
> "______ For Dummies" series of
> books)

> If you can, please explain why you prefer
> one over the other. Thanks.

Hi Brad,

I personally prefer inspirational stories for motivation.

However, they have to seem like they are "reproducible". That is, I have to be able to read it, and think to myself - he/she did it, and if I apply myself, I probably can too!

Not all success stories seem reproducible. For example, Bill Gates' story doesn't seem reproducible to me. There's a story that Bill Gates's mom was on the board of IBM - which may have been a positive effect in helping him get the contract with IBM to provide MS-DOS - his first big break. Unless your mom (or other relative) is on the board of some giant company, that's going to be hard to reproduce.

However, other big successes seem more reproducible. Without going into details, I think the stories of people like Richard Branson, Warren Buffett, Michael Dell, Kirk Kerkorian (and others) are more "reproducible" than Bill Gates' story.

There are other ways to motivate.... One way is in Michael Ross's "Success Report". It really works. In fact, it's what a lot of people really use to motivate themselves, without realizing it. When you understand it, you can use this way much more effectively to motivate yourself.

If you have some sales skills, another way to motivate yourself is to sell yourself on doing whatever it is you want to do. Sell yourself on the benefits of whatever that activity might be. When you keep the prime benefits of a particular activity in the forefront of your mind, it's easier to do the activity.

- Dien Rice