View Single Post
Old April 17, 2021, 10:13 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Too much sun and surf... ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
OK.

We've been out of high school for 53 years now, all of us past retirement age, most retired. I have always said, one must get tired out, before they can then REtire...ha!

I feel that, due to lack of work, the whole knee-jerk reaction to it, ala Maynard G. Krebs (Work? WERK??!) AND how I've built my business the last two decades...that there are many biz muscles not used, and if not, they atrophy and die.

HIS idea was, let's get on his big boat in Lake Erie, head toward the islands, drink beer, fish and chase after old women (both of us single guys now). It sounded tiring, and God forbid, what if I caught one (fish or woman), what in the world would I do with it?

Now I should point out, he built a big family business, and it was the only thing he did, right out of high school and college, and that is certainly one way to do things. ONE THING, do it well and stay put.

I'm not built that way.

So, when he said I was going about my "retirement" all wrong, I understood his perspective, and I get it, albeit I feel there is a lot left to use...but not necessarily the TIME to do it, so picking carefully is important to me.

Now he did advise me to do more consulting, set up a small shop, just to keep active if that is what I wanted, so his insights into my strengths were good.

Also, most of my WORK Werk time today is spent on creative projects: scripts and stories and not much time left for business.

I agree with you, that feedback from good friends can be a blessing, and they can also help us see ourselves as others see us. Then, of course, we can use their feedback, or use it as motivation to do the thing they advise against us doing too.
Hi Gordon,

I get it too... but like you, it's also not "me"...

I remember when I was in my late 20s, I was a post-grad student in physics, and I attended a 5-day physics conference in Brisbane, Australia. Brisbane is only about an hour away from the Gold Coast - a popular beach holiday destination. So after the conference, I took a one-week holiday on the Gold Coast...

The first few days were amazing! But then, after a few days... I started thinking about physics problems (I know, I know)...

After a week, I was more than ready to go home... Enough sun, surf, and sheilas (as they say in Australia) for me... (Okay, I actually got the sun, not much surf and sheilas, if I'm honest... )

I can't be in pure "relaxation" mode for more than a few days... My mind wants new challenges to think about, that's just how I'm built... Any kind of meaningful challenge, including business challenges... and that's what's fun for me...

Thanks for sharing, Gordon!

Best wishes,

Dien