View Single Post
Old December 1, 2017, 08:21 AM
Administrator

Default Depends who is asking the question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unpinkpanther View Post
"So what do you do?"

Back when I was in paid employment, this was easy to reply; I usually just mentioned the name of the company I worked for and that was it.

Now I'm a lone wolf without a stiff "job title"...thankfully. But it seems people can't stop prying into what exactly I do to make money.

Has anyone else encountered this? How do you ward off curious questions that usually don't lead anywhere?

And...what RESPONSE you want them to have.

For example, if I want them to "buzz off" and leave me alone, something like "I'm an Amway distributor, and if you have a few minutes I'd like to tell you about our great opportunity." That gets rid of the curious busybodies most of the time.

But, if you are in a business gathering, something, "I'm a consultant, what is your business?" This scares away most business people.

When they think you are getting ready to "pitch" them something, they flee.

If you DO want to pitch them something, then tell them what you do.

I'm a publisher.

I'm a Creative Marketing Professional. I'm a Independent Marketing Appraiser.

Keep the Stimulus-Response model in mind and use it as an opportunity to use and refine your people skills. Consultant works for so many things, but the most important thing is when they quid pro quo you their information...

BE HEARTY IN YOUR APPROBATION AND LAVISH IN YOUR PRAISE. Be Interested in them, let them light you up with THEIR stories, and you will be remembered, whatever you tell them you DO.

Gordon