SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old April 24, 2008, 07:45 PM
gkeehner

Default Re: Creating a great headline

Gordon,

I understand how timing would matter when sending an email, ezine or doing a direct marketing promotion, but how does that work when putting up a simple website?

Also, I would like to run my headline by you. Just give me your opinion. Good, bad or otherwise.

The webpage will be promoting a self help product and the content will be about quantam physics, attraction, abundance, giving, etc, etc. Just enough to peak their interest as long as this is the sort of thing they are interested in.

Anyway, here's the headline. "Are You Using These Universal Laws To Achieve Financial Freedom And Independence?"
Old April 28, 2008, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Default Very good question. Here's my response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkeehner View Post
Gordon,

...timing... simple website?

Also, I would like to run my headline by you. Just give me your opinion. Good, bad or otherwise.

The webpage will be promoting a self help product and the content will be about quantam physics, attraction, abundance, giving, etc, etc. Just enough to peak their interest as long as this is the sort of thing they are interested in.

Anyway, here's the headline. "Are You Using These Universal Laws To Achieve Financial Freedom And Independence?"

Timing and web sites.

I've highlighted a couple of your keywords. Words that might be searched for. So let's search:

From Google: Search; "attraction abundance", two keywords isolated, and the top competition:
At #1:
http://healing.about.com/cs/selfactu...attraction.htm

#2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPUQigT7IGw A YOU tube thing.

#3:
http://top7business.com/?cat=Attraction-Abundance

Interesting thing there are no ads when the quotes are used. Let's try it a different way, without quotes, we get TWO ads (same top 3):

http://www.overnightcashexplosion.co...refsite=google

A HYPE site that is trying to cash in on the "Attraction" angle.
The other ad is from wisdomhunter.com and the link doesn't work, I've tried it in different browsers...there's a good use of ad money, eh?

Then I searched this:

quantum physics, law of attraction BINGO. All kinds of sites, all kinds of paid advertising.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...f+attractio n

It appears your product might be found in this category. Appears to be a good lake to fish in, lots of interest in the subject matter. So, let's look at the top sites and ads to see how timing fits in.

Kate Corbin gets the top indexed site by using the Google friendly ezinearticles site.

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Law-of...sics&id=223148 Her site is coaching of the law of attraction, I'd think she'd be your competition?

http://www.goldstarcoaching.com/ She is selling ebooks.

#2 search result: http://www.scienceofrealitycreation.com/ This appears to be a google ads site, the owner trying to cash in on the interest in such things by setting up a site that has google ads on every page. Didn't go deep enough to see if it sells something specific.

#3 search result
http://www.myfavoriteezines.com/ezin...ttraction.html I didn't stay long enough to figure it out, maybe you will.

And I'll include #4 because the Google returns a "headline":

"Do you make these law of attraction blunders." This guy has a swipe file and buys into the "Halbert" school of advertising.

The google link takes you to: another ARTICLE (HINT)... http://www.selfgrowth.com/articles/Doyle14.html
and his website is:
http://www.wealthbeyondreason.com/

Where he pitches you a membership. Join up and you're directed to this:

"Go Ahead and Laugh...But These Principles Create Millionaires, Change Lives, And are At Your Disposal 24 Hours A Day."

OK, I'll spare you the google ads, however, IF it were me doinng this project, I'd check every top 10 site out, both indexed, sponsored links top (premium paid to be there) and sponsored links right panel.

That would give me an idea of what's out there. Maybe use alexa rankings and do some google searches to see who is getting traffic, and perhaps get a better idea of the market, and know how much they are paying for these key words.

If you are a woman (the majority user of "The Secret" for finding love)...then the headline above would not appeal to you. Your search would be different, probably along the lines of "law of attraction love" and several variations.

IF you are a man seeking a money making opportunity, then the above headline may appeal to you at the time you see it. Your target is SEEKING you out, therefore it is a central preoccupation at the time he meets your promotion, your web site. And he will spend a New York Second looking at it, and IF it catches his attention, IF it resonates with what is on his mind, maybe he'll stay and read it, you have a shot of converting a prospect to a customer.

So it goes full circle to KNOWING your target, what he/she wants, how getting this "thing" will improve his/her life. KNOWING that, target information allows you to create the web site that has the strongest appeal to your market. Now regarding your headline.

"Are You Using These Universal Laws To Achieve Financial Freedom And Independence?"

OK, now that I've shared some of my research, let me ask you...

What do you think?

IF you follow it up IMMEDIATELY on the page with revealing what THESE laws are, then you stand a shot...however, if the first two laws the same old-same old "Secret" type and are the "I already know this" variety, you'd better have some dang compelling copy to go along with it. That's my OPINION. Good luck.

Gordon Jay Alexander
Old April 28, 2008, 03:14 PM
MichaelRoss

Default You don't need a Great headline - whatever that means. Just one that Resonates.

Gary,

Thanks for ASKing.

If you've read any of the previous Threads about The Secret (or my questioning of Nan Felding when she was promoting Prosperity Thinking here ages ago) you'll know my stance on the matter - it's bunk.

So this Work you have created has me ask one single question of you...

Have YOU achieved financial freedom and independence?

And now a Follow Up Question... when you write "financial freedom and independence" what do you Mean by that? Please define: financial freedom and independence.

Michael Ross
http://www.hotsheetcity.com
Your source of quality How To information in
a Concise and Easy To Read format called a Hotsheet
Old April 28, 2008, 10:09 PM
gkeehner

Wow! My head is spinning now! I understand the idea of searching for my competition, checking out their sites, adwords and using quotes when searching, but your insight on the way men and women look at a product differently, Gordon, is something that I really need to look into and I thank you for sharing.

You asked me what I thought about my headline and to be honest, I thought it was pretty good. After reading your post I think I should consider who I am trying to "attract" to my site.

Michael, I understand where you are coming from. I am still reading and trying to figure things out and put together my own philosophy as to how things work. I do believe that nobody is going to attain any kind of success in life, whatever that may be, by sitting around chanting affirmations all day. You have to take action.

The book that I am attempting to promote was very good in my opinion. Yes, there is definetly some things in it that you would not agree with, but there is also some information that I found fascinating. I have even found this information talked about in books by people who have no connection with the new age, new thought, metaphysical crowd.

Anyway, that was a bit off topic and I was not trying to defend my position or anything. I just think the book has some information that could possibly shed some light on things for people and maybe even help them. I read a ton of books in any given year and nine times out of ten I can find at least one thing in a book that has made it worth while reading.

Thanks for your input guys. I really appreciate it. There is a bunch of things for a newbie to think about when trying his or her hand at this biz.
Old April 29, 2008, 12:07 AM
Phil

If you're Thinking about Marketing stuff to women...

The following thread might come in handy...

Afterall... Who decides on How all your Monies should get spent...

Great resources and info on Marketing to women...
http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthre...eting+to+women

Phil
Old May 1, 2008, 03:49 AM
-TW

Default I'd forgotten I had written this one (just for fun)...

"They all laughed when I bought life insurance,
but when I got run over by a truck..."

Cheers!

-- TW
Old May 2, 2008, 06:28 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default "Do you make these mistakes in English?" and TIMING (link to Gordon's post)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TW View Post
"Who else wants to make money using formula headlines?"

or

"Cleveland man swears under oath his headlines are not copied."

or

"Now you can make big money using formula headlines -- even if you've never typed a single word, and you don't even know English!"

etc. etc.

Cheers!

-- TW

TW - after reading those headlines, I've whipped out my wallet and am ready to buy!

By the way, Gordon wrote a great post on the "Do you make these mistakes in English?" headline not too long ago... and the importance of its TIMING. I haven't seen this stuff anywhere else - it's very valuable stuff... Here's his post...

http://www.sowpub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19888

(Gordon's is the 2nd post in the thread.)

Cheers

Dien
Old March 2, 2010, 12:20 AM
thomascaelyn

Pick up a few back issues of your favourite newspaper, magazine, etc. and take notice of the advertising sections. Take note of which ads appear most often and repeatedly. Notice the headlines?

For example..

Free
Hurry Up
Now
like these words..

All the best mate...
Old March 2, 2010, 04:13 AM

Default How to TICKLE People So They Give You Their Munny

Dear Gary,

Thanks for starting an interesting topic.

Since you only have the one web page to play with I suggest You use KISS.

K-eep
I-t
S-imple
S-owpub.

Imitate the 3-Step Formula All The Best Writers Use. Do Exactly what Gordon Alexander has done in the sowpub forum recently.

I - TICKLE People with a story

II - Link The Readers Emotional Reaction to a Key Word or Phrase.

III - Collect leads to send offers to.

IV - Create or Control an info product to sell. (It doesn't sound like you control the book you want to promote, yet. Are you an affiliate?)

=========
Why I've Been Chuckling Recently -

Gordon has done something Special with his "Snakes, Mice & Spiders OH MY" post in this forum.

How do I know...?

I've spotted posts in several Other forums SUDDENLY with the Words "OH MY" in them!

This is not an accident.

Not a co-incidence.

It's a process. A formula for successful selling with words. All of the best Copywriters use the SAME 3-steps.

I Use The Same formula too.

I've outlined it here for you.

========================

Gordon calls it Stimulus - Response. (Ted Nicholas calls this "The Hidden Emotional Benefit")

Step I - You Tell an Emotional Story - STIMULUS

Step II - You Link the Readers Emotion to a KEY WORD or Phrase - RESPONSE

Step III - You Use that KEY word or phrase in the Title of your Product - RESPONSE (The key word triggers the Emotion Response)

========================

Gordon TICKLED our funny bones with a funny story.

Raised our Emotions.

Then Linked the emotion he created with his story to the words -

"OH MY."

I've written a 5 best selling copywriting books, manuals, Workbooks (Heroin-on-Paper) so I should know...

You should Borrow Gordon's Stimulus-Response Writing System...

Thanks,
Glenn Osborn

P.S. - Author of 26 New York Times #1 Sellers - James Patterson used to be President of an Ad Agency. He gave a 2 minute speech to all the new hires
that passed his test.

I - A little man would run up - HIT Patterson in the face with a Pie.

II - Patterson would say, "There you have it. The secret to successful writing."

A - Hit Your Readers in the Face with a PIE

B - Then say something SMART.

Then he left the room!

============
============
Borrow Only From The Most Successful Writers. Their words have already sold Mega-Bucks of stuff.

For example - I adapted my "TICKLE" Subject line from an author who has sold 29 million books. 3rd behind Dan Brown and J.K. Rowling.

Tickle Copywriting really works.

And it's fun too.

IF You Don't Have FUN Writing Your Readers Won't Either.