SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 3, 2000, 09:44 AM
Dien Rice

Default Some Lessons from the Olympics....

Today, I wandered down to the shore of where the Parramatta River turns into Sydney Harbour, about 5 minutes walk from where I live. The sun was shining strongly, reflecting cheerily from the ripples on the water. The water wasn’t exactly clear, but the reflection of the pure blue sky made it look incredible. There’s something in nature about the beauty of rivers, lakes, and the ocean.... It’s a beauty I’ve been drawn to ever since I was a child.

I was reflecting upon the Olympic games, and my feelings of “sports withdrawal”. Experiencing the Olympic Games – and being so close to them right here in Sydney, since Olympic Park is practically on the other side of the Parramatta River from me – was a high like I’ve never experienced before.

I’d never been interested in the Olympics before, I had in fact completely ignored them. But having them almost right on my doorstep meant my attempts to ignore them failed miserably, and I got caught up in the incredible excitement as well. Sydney was having an incredible two-week party.

For me, the wonder of the Olympics is about the sheer emotion. The burst of elation of the athletes as they weeped in joy after winning that cherished gold medal. But also the shattered tears of disappointment of athletes who did not succeed, and especially the tears of those who were disqualified for honest mistakes. The Olympics are an incredibly emotional time, especially when you watch the faces of the athletes, and feel for them, their joys and their sorrows.

I admire the intensity of those athletes, who put everything they had into their performances. For some of them, the difference between winning a gold medal and getting nothing came down to just a few seconds of performance. For example, in the diving, each dive takes a second or two, yet it is that one or two seconds that can mean the difference between gold, silver, bronze, and getting nothing at all.

In my mind, every athlete at the Games who gave their all is a hero, whether they won a medal or not. I have come away from these Games with a new appreciation and respect for these athletes who push themselves to the limit.

Another thing I learned from these Games is that you don’t have to have a “classic” athlete’s body to be a great athlete. The strongest weightlifter in the world had a pot belly, but that didn’t hinder his incredible strength. The winning female weightlifters looked similar. And I mentioned before about the judo wrestler from Ukraine, who weighed over 440 pounds (200 kilograms), yet who was remarkably effective against his much lighter-weight and more athletic-looking opponents.

Being so close to the Games meant that I couldn't help but make some observations on the steps towards success.... Not only in sports, but in business and in life....

A few lessons I learned from the Olympics were....

* When you see the winning athletes perform, you can see the intensity and passion in their faces. So put your heart into what you are doing. Your passion and intensity is the key to your success. If you are passionate, if your heart is in it, you will become FOCUSED.

* The Olympic judo wrestler I mentioned brought home this next point strongly for me. You don’t have to do things the way that everyone else does them. You can often compete on your own terms. Do it your own way.

* You have skills you can use to your advantage. While you may not have the skills that others have, use the skills you DO have and use it to your advantage. Some people are better with more technical skills, others are better with communicating with others, and others are better writing. Utilize your strengths.

I’m feeling a little bit of Olympic withdrawal.... Having been on such a high for two weeks is hard to beat. I’m coming down slowly....

I’m sorely tempted to starting buying my ticket for Athens, Greece for 2004! I guess I’ll just have to pine for World Cup Soccer in 2002 (I also love World Cup Soccer).... :)

Cheers :)

Dien