SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 22, 2008, 09:57 AM
Unregistered

Default Correct...except for one thing....

..."fear"!

Raw, unadulterated "FEAR"!

"Fear of the Unknown"!

"Fear of Failure"!

"Fear that my Ego will get bruised"!

"Fear of the word "NO!"

I was trained to be an "Electrical Engineer". Got a job at GE right outa college. Then, a few weeks after being hired, I discovered I had replaced an engineer who had worked for the company for many years and was about to enter his "vested rights" area...when they fired him and I was the replacement at over half his salary.

I suppose this was a "cost-cutting" move....however...it cause me to wonder if I too...would be let out to pasture, after many years....just before my full retirement rights kicked in....Soooo...when I saw 2 more engineers get the boot....I then decided I was going to hunt for a way to start my own business....and be in charge of MY destiny.

I read every "Opportunity" mag, every Sunday Classified Section I could find.

Then, one day, I saw an ad in the WallStreet J for a "Home Burglar Alarm" a company had developed. Called the Co....received their brochure...took a few days off and flew down and took a close look and decided to become a Distributor and....Start My Own Biz...from my home.

Talk about "Fear"...I was scared outa my drawers! I had 2 babies and a "worried wife".

I had never tried to "Sell" anything before...never tried to "Engage" another person with the goal of "Selling" them a Home Burglar Alarm.

But...I could make contact with prospects in the eve and on weekends Plus, I could keep my job until I was pretty sure I could make it in my own biz.

And I kept saying; "What's The Worst that could happen?" The worst would be...I'd lose the time and money I had invested, and maybe my ego would be bruised BUT....it wouldn't be devastating. I'd still have my "day job"...and I could continue hunting for a way to start my own biz.

My first few attempts at "Making Appointments" and "Giving Presentations" were frightfully sloppy...disorganized BUT....with each contact I learned something...so that, as I stacked up the "No's!"...I got closer to a "Yes!"

And then it happened...about 2 weeks and a dozen presentations...I got my first sale.

I didn't have a clue on how to get the thing installed but I felt I could "learn by doing". So, with the mfgrs help and a lot of chasing around to find someone who had some experience in installing alarms...I got my first job installed. (Also sold 2 neighbors)

I gave my "2 week resignation notice" and I was "on my way".

Today...many years later...I think back and remember how "Freaful" I felt. My stomach was in knots and I had a hard time sleeping BUT....I KNEW I "had to TRY my best to do this".

Today...after many projects, I'm still "selling" products and programs and get a little "uptight" when I start a new one and...if it doesn't work out or I can't "sell" it to someone...I just drop it and go onto something else.

Since most of my projects have to do with sales to business owners....I've noticed that...my best clients are those that have the words "NO Soliciting!" on their front doors.

These words used to cause me to stop and not go in....until I thought, "The worst thing that can happen is, I'd be asked to leave!" And, those words might keep many other "salesmen" from entering...so the business may be less bombarded with sales pitches.

Well....after thousands of sales to businesses with "NO Solicitors!" on their doors...I have yet to be asked to leave any.

So...GJ hit the right words...."ENGAGE!"...."ENGAGE another person"!

Something happens when you don't "engage"...."NOTHING!"

"Ya Don't Know Unless'n Ya Tries!"

Don Alm....long-time "SalesMan"

http://www.midasreports.com
Some of my Home-Based projects