SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 5, 2008, 01:59 PM
MichaelRoss

Default From The Writing Archive...

Dien,

Thanks for mentioning this Technique.

Of course, it Fails to underscore the primary reason you are... DOing the thing you are DOing. But nonetheless, I'd like to Paste a slightly edited version of something I wrote back in 1999 - published online on January 21 to be exact...

===
How to motivate yourself to overcome your fears and become a person who follows through regardless of some written business plan...

Okay... first thing I want you to do is write down something you really want to do or have, but for whatever reason you have not done or gotten for yourself. Keep it something small.

You should also write down the amount of money this thing is going to cost.

Now you know how much money you need you're well on the way. And whether or not you actually do or buy the item once you have the money doesn't really matter. What matters is that you know how much money you want.

IMPORTANT: While it's great to set high goals of wealth and the like, it becomes unproductive to do so at the start. The reason is that you don't really think you will achieve them. No-one really believes they will make one million dollars in six months time, so it's pointless to say that's how much you want (at the start). So what I want you to do is to set a goal of making no more than $500.

Next you have to realise that the only way to make money is to sell something! Whether or not you sell your time to an employer, or sell a product or service, you are still selling.

Moving on...

Knowing from the start that you will be selling something (whatever that something is) gets you in the right frame of mind. And you can now start to write down a checklist for success. You've already seen above the sort of format the checklist should take and we'll use that format again.

So using a modified checklist we end up with something like this...

1: Pick a market.
2: Pick a product.
3: If a book, create it or find a wholesale source for it.
4: Decide how you will sell it - two-step with classified ads and sales letters, direct sales from ads, direct mail, and so on.
5: Write your sales letter, ads, web pages, and any other selling instruments you want to use.
6: Continue on with your list. In fact try to make it as step-by-step and detailed as possible. This list we are using here is a very simple list. But it should get you started.

Okay... now lets see how all this goes together...

Now I want you to pick something to sell. A product or service. And to really make this work, you should pick something you do not already sell. That's right, you will be creating/purchasing and then selling something you do not currently sell. Take a few minutes right now and pick something.

I would recommend that the thing you pick be something you can sell to a niche market. It may take you a while to decide which market to sell to but the time will be worth it.

Something that can help you pick a market is to have a walk through your local newsagent and spend some time browsing the various magazines. I would also recommend you pick a market you are already interested in.

Once you have decided on a market I want you to reward yourself!!!!! Go out to dinner; buy yourself some really nice chocolate; treat yourself to some kind of treat you normally do not have. I want you to indulge yourself as a reward for picking the market and product!

Can you see what I am doing here? Instead of waiting until the end for your reward you are rewarding yourself as you go. You have just received a reward and yet you haven't sold anything, created anything, or created any marketing material.

If you are guessing that I am going to suggest that you reward yourself after you have completed each step on your list, you would be right...

...All I'm doing by asking you to reward yourself every step of the way is giving you an incentive - lets call it a bribe - to continue right through until the end where the real reward is waiting.
===

The problem with the above is... like one of the Blog Comments wrote... I would reward myself with chocolate after each paragraph - I have real short paragraphs.

Anyway. Thought I'd share a Different Way of looking at it. Of a Reward after a Step in any kind of Action Plan Checklist you create for the project/task you are doing.

Michael Ross