SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 28, 2003, 07:26 AM
Boyd Stone

Default I was at every 1993 seminar

Hi,

> I attended Joe's two-day futures trading
> workshop in Austin, Texas in 1993. $3,000
> sound familiar?

Sure does. What happened with me was I bought the course by Mr. Ken, the dude in the cowboy hat, in late 1991 and started papertrading. By mid 1992 I had convinced myself that his methods were simplistic and not rigorous and started looking for other courses. I bought Joe Ross's books for the simple reason that they were the most expensive--I assumed that the price was justified by quality (which it turned out to be). [As a side note, of course, the mindset I just illustrated is a good argument for pricing one's products higher than the norm.] I happened to notice in one of the books that Joe's address was given as Leander, Texas, which, like the town I live in, Pflugerville, is practically a suburb of Austin. I said, "Hey, this guy lives about ten miles from me!" I somehow got up the nerve to phone him, Joe's Godfather-like voice answered the phone, and during a conversation I declined an invitation to come out to his house but did request that he send me info on his seminar. In late 1992 I showed up at the Howard Johnson's where Joe put on his seminars, shyly took a seat and later in the day paid Bernie the $3,000. By March 1993 I was working for Joe, part-time, on an unpaid basis (my pay was in the knowledge I could soak up about trading and about how Joe ran his mailorder bookselling business); my duties included helping Bernie and Mrs. Ross to set up and run the behind-the-scenes part of Joe's seminars. At your seminar if you remember a bearded, unassuming guy with slightly long hair who stayed in the back of the room and who kept the refreshment table stocked and spotless, that, sir, was I. :-)

> I have all Joe's books and I find his
> approach more detailed, more logical, and
> more solidly based than anything else I have
> ever studied or read.

I totally agree.

> In fact, it was Joe Ross that gave me the
> basic ideas to write my book Timing the Real
> Estate Market. His statement that
> "markets are markets" put me in
> the mindset to apply the same principles he
> taught for trading the futures market to
> timing the real estate market. I will never
> forget those words. They are so true when it
> comes to making intelligent buying and
> selling decisions.

Indeed, a chart is a chart is a chart. As you know, if you plot any non-random event on a barchart, you can use chart-reading techniques to predict whether the chart is likely to rise or fall, whether it's the population density of monarch butterflies or the birthrate of Mongolian Buddhists.

> How is his health?

He called me about two years ago asking for a referral to a good webmaster, but I don't have any data more recent than that. I haven't had much contact with him since 1996.

I still leaf through his books every once in a while--the last time was just a few days ago. I love looking at barcharts!!

Best,

- Boyd