SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Poll: MzTvUoKHolGGKwN
Poll Options
MzTvUoKHolGGKwN

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 25, 2003, 06:32 AM
Maria Marsala

Default Re: What would you do?

My niche is businesses owners with 1-25 employees. My personal brand is "blue chip" services.

To me, a consultant who only asks questions is a coach. I have experience doing both coaching and consulting. I like asking questions then offering my suggestions. However, the clients I do attract want both and sometimes don't want any coaching at all!

I don't see Micheal suggesting that I lower my prices. Actually it was me who mentioned that new business owners don't pay for my full services, it was me and I was looking for ways to offer them some of what would be helpful. Yes, they buy "how to stuff" and very often don't use it. They throw 4-5k on quick fixes - then they come to me wanting me to help them for free, cause how they're broke Been there, worked with some and that's not my ideal client.

> Your site review: the newsletter just says
> signup to receive free ebook. Which free
> ebook? What does your newsletter have that
> other newsletters dont? Whats the USP?

MMM I no longer give free ebook with my newsletter. I do have a few pages of free ebooks/ereports on my site right now. They're available to anyone.

I guess I can come up with a USP for my ezine, Elevating Your Business, based on what my readers tell me. My ezine is a "view it and do it", it's long, but jammed packed full of useful, practical information.

> And one thing that lacked is testimonials.
> For newsletter as well as your services.
> Dont expect people to go to another page to
> read what others say about you. Bring it out
> in front.

I have testimonials in the right column of each page (including the home page), throughout the site and on a testimonial page, too.

> I saw a link to womens biz. You could make
> yourself stand out by only consulting to
> women biz. You can be the "Women help
> Women consultations." That will make
> you stand out. That will buy you space in
> peoples brains. Next time some womens
> organization wants a consultant - they will
> give you a call.

All women? OH life would be boring. My clients have been 50-50 and I'm AOK with that.

> And try to add some free stuff to your site.
> Some free articles. Tips. Whatever. Whatever
> that can make me stay at your site longer.
> And that can show me how good you really are
> in consulting.

HUH? I have 200 articles (hidden recently unless someone does a search ) 20 ereports, and about 20 pages of resources that are there for free. Actually there is TOO much for free, and that's what I'm changing.

> Maybe you could be different here - get some
> of your clients permission - and add the
> whole client consultation session in audio
> format to the site. Show people the whole
> enchilada. Show then what they will receive.

Appreciate the idea. I would not ask a client to do that because it's not something I"m confortable with. However, I do have a transcript of an online session on the coaching page. And I'm working on redoing my audio welcome. For people ready to hire a coach/consultant, they get a free 15-20 minute interview. That gives them first hand knowledge on how I work. Between all the free stuff on my site, my ezine, and the free consult, I'm giving away more than enough for people to get a feel for how I can help them, don't you think?

> Also there are 2 links - pre startup and
> small business -that link to a same page. I
> would take out 1 of the links.

I'm really happy with that change I recently made where I put a link for pre-startups and a link for small businesses. I want pre-start ups to have their own set of pages to visit, however, first I have to create the new ones . I just changed the navigation bar two weeks ago.

> I would be more inclined towards small biz
> consultations because that way I can have 1
> client come over to me again and again.
> While in pre startup - once their companies
> are set - they will go find some one else.

Can you explain this differently? I don't understand it. (I do understand your suggestion to specialize in small business coaching/consulting, it's the paragraph above I don't understand)

> And most of all educate prospects. Educate
> all your visitors what you can do for them.
> Tell them step by step - how you will guide
> them. Reveal all the steps. Something like:
> 1st session - we will brainstorm on how to
> save your firm more money. 2nd session we
> will brainstorm on how to develop your USP.
> 2rd session we will brainstorm on how to
> increase revenue. 4th session we will
> brainstorm on how to get repeat clients.

I don't take "steps" that can be written down like you mention. With each client, the steps as well as the plans they can choose, are tailored to meet their needs. Some come to me for business foundation work, others marketing, others Internet marketing. I think I'm clear on what my services are tailored to their needs and what. I also have information on what I do, don't do, etc.

I do educate them. Possibly too much. That's something I have to consider. If they get so much for free, why should they pay me? The best way for me to get new clients, is to get them to request a consultation. Once that's done, they get a feel for my services and me, and we go from there.

I think on the articles, I"m doing to take a poll and ask my ezine readers and R and D Team about selling the single articles.

You mentioned about not charging too low for my ereports. Is there a "too" low and what is "usual"?

I never have a problem coming up with content. I have more of a problem NOT coming up with more things to write about. I have a folder how, that I just throw ideas in.

I don't use content from others in my ezine. Why would I want to promote another coaches work? Wouldn't that be counterproductive? I do refer people to other coaches, but to blantantly advertise my comptetitors in my ezine? Not sure what that would accomplish. Can you elaborate?

=============
I do appreciate the time you took to view my site. Gave me some ideas, and strengthened my ideas on other parts of my business, too.

Elevating Your Business