SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 28, 2008, 03:16 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Cancer and Vitamin D...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Carr View Post
Unfortunately, I will be making another trip back in to see the doctors with my mom tomorrow. Last week they found a brain tumor and will give us the test results and their prognosis.
Hi Rod,

I know that when these things happen, it's very trying... (I lost my own Mom 5 years ago, to liver cirrhosis... She had Hepatitis C which she contracted years earlier due to a blood transfusion after a miscarriage, before they could screen donor blood for it...)

I had heard (from someone I know who works in the medical industry) that there is a correlation between low Vitamin D and cancer... Your post reminded me of it. So I did some searching, and found this...

Take vitamin D to reduce cancer risk, Canadian Cancer Society advises
http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2007/...endations.html

The "gist" of the article is that a medical study showed that taking Vitamin D cut the risk of cancer in women by about 50%. Even if there is already a tumor, it's possible that this might help to prevent it from spreading... (Keep in mind, I am not a medical doctor, so seek medical advice...)

Vitamin D is also produced by our skin from sunlight, but those of us living in "colder" regions of the world may get low on Vitamin D since we get less sunlight than those in the world's tropical regions. So Vitamin D is probably even more important for people living where there's colder weather. One source of Vitamin D is cod liver oil. (You can purchase it in in the form of relatively inexpensive capsules.)

On brain tumors specifically, I also found this article...

Diet May Be the Key to Prevention and Treatment of Brain Tumors
http://www.naturalnews.com/022927.html

This article reports research that showed that something called the "KetoCal" diet reduced the growth of brain tumors in mice.

The "KetoCal" diet is apparently something usually used to help treat epilepsy. It seems to be a type of "Ketogenic" diet. You can read about these here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketocal
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketogenic_Diet

Anyway, I'm not a medical doctor, but I know in a similar situation I'd be looking at all the info I could get...

In the end, the way I look at things, it's in "God's hands", but of course we must still do our best to keep ourselves and those we love healthy...

I wish the best for you and your Mom,

Dien