SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 21, 2015, 11:08 PM
spyglass

Default Re: HARVEY BRODY - Long Lost Article On The King Of The VIRTUAL CORPORATION

Don,

Good stuff indeed. Your wife is a great asset to you keeping you in the groove to get one project completed, rather than scatter your focus and energy. Looks like it worked out for you.

Staying on track and focused has been more than a little challenge foe me over the years. So having someone to ride herd over you to stay on task is enviable from where I stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Alm View Post
Yup.....I remember reading Brody's stuff. He talked about "Getting TOLL Positions" where people had to pay you a "FEE" to get the product/s they wanted.

And....I remember the piece about checking "Injection Mold" makers to see if there were any "abandoned" molds available that one could pick up and run with.

Well.....this motivated ME to go see a couple of "Mold" biznesses and.....at one I found a Baby BIB that was one piece and.....had a large cup-like thingee at the bottom to catch "spill"......making it easier for mom to clean up after meals.

They had 2 actual completed pieces. I asked for and got permission to take one to use as a sample to do some "research" to see if I wanted to start producing them again.

Well.....I went to some "Infant" stores to get their opinions and.....they all told me they liked the item and thought it would sell and to come up with a price.

I also went to my contact at Walgreen Drugs and they too....liked the item, in fact, when I told them IF I made a Commercial.....would they be interested in having a "TAG" to send consumers to a "TEST" store.

This would mean they'd have to purchase an initial supply for the Test store.

So.....I knew a guy who worked for Ron Popeil who told me he'd help me put the Commercial together.

But.....I was building my Burglar Alarm biz at that time and my wifee told me to CONCENTRATE ON MY EXISTING BIZ and not go off in another direction even though I tried to explain I'd have "others" doing the "work".

However.....Harvey DID inspire me to take my "Portable Alarm" and hire an attorney to get the Patent Process started.

This was a nice-looking wood box type of thing that mounted on a wall or sat on a table and when activated it let off a loud Police-Siren noise and flashing light when it heard 2 high-pitched sounds of breaking glass.

I had a mfg firm make me 5 Samples and I then proceeded to sell dealerships for $7,500 ea. by promoting meetings (similar to today's Webinars) where I'd demo the unit and provide sales & marketing methods to sell to consumers.

So.....thanks for bringing this up.....brought back some good memories.

Don Alm.....loong time entroopeneer