SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 10, 2015, 08:55 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default The critical importance of good contacts...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMacGillivray View Post
The BBC has started asking Chief Executives to reveal the advice which would have helped them most when they started out in business. There are some very interesting responses -

"What is the advice you wish you'd had, when you started out?"
Thanks for sharing that great article, Margaret!

I'll just pick one of the many good ones in that article to comment on at the moment...

"Networking"...

Contacts are very important!

I think you can never have enough contacts... (Though I find, for what I do, other contacts who are also in business often turn out to be the most valuable... because that's one way you find new opportunities!)

I'll give a very quick example...

Recently, I organized a film screening. My business partner in this and I had a meeting with a guy who is the main guy in a company which controls many film rights in Australia. He spends a certain amount of his time jet-setting to film festivals around the world, doing deals as to what film rights his company will purchase.

Anyway... in meeting with him, I also met his wife. His wife is Chinese, and has a lot of business contacts in China.

Now, it turns out, another friend of mine needs contacts in China who are importing things from Australia. Guess what? That's right, his wife, it seems, has those contacts! (She is a businesswoman in her own right.)

So, I'm organizing a meeting between the two, as it could be mutually beneficial to both of them. We'll see how it goes. (And I could benefit down the line, too.) But, if I didn't know either of them, I wouldn't be able to potentially "help out" here... And if it works out, I know I'll benefit down the line as well...

Contacts are a kind of "resource"... Just like having finances is a kind of resource. With the right contacts, you find that doors will open, and opportunities leap out at you as well!

The most useful contacts I've found, in my experience, are those people doing "real" business... That is, people who are making actual real sales or earning actual real income from their business. So, if you have to "focus" your efforts, I'd focus on that group specifically... (In other words, people like Margaret!)

Thanks Margaret!

Best wishes,

Dien