SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 5, 2015, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Default Some pointers GIVEN on Chatteling

To sell...

Write superior ads.

Listen, most people have NOT been exposed to any copywriting technique, you have via these forums and in the report too.

Take good pictures. USE them.

Give a reason why you are selling, people like to know why. I don't see any reason why you can't buy on craigslist and sell on craigslist the same item the same day. BECAUSE you have some marketing skills.

As for drapes, I have an advantage, my mother worked in a dry cleaners and she was their seamstress, and a darned good one too. Used to make my one of a kind shirts.

And, my daughter worked in HS and through college at Jo Ann fabrics, in the fabrics section, cutting mostly for drapes. So, I have some knowledge, KNOWLEDGE easily gained with a month of study about the kinds of drapes, I have advised people to

look at completed listings on ebay, for sold drapes, over 200 bux.

Go over those, start a notebook, print out some facta from places that sell drapes...go with popular name brands.

Google "seamstress" in your area. Google tailoring. Google DRY CLEANERS, look for some one who does alterations.

GOOGLE ALTERATIONS, in your area. My county shows about 50.

Look for dry cleaners who do the alterations, these are potential partners, and look for affluent and upscale areas.

People in general have a tendency to OVER COMPLICATE THINGS, LOOKING FOR WAYS TO FAIL. I've just experienced a lot of this with our postcard business, the people doing well just do it, the guys struggling, really have made it hard on themselves.

With chatteling, you have to buy something...then write a better ad and sell it for a profit. Women should be cautious about having strangers come over. If you do little car items, you can always meet at McDonalds, it is my second home...and I bring along an inverter to demo small appliances...plus they have Wi-Fi, I can be chatteling while stuffing a cheeseburger into my face too.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusaph View Post
So I think I'm ok with the buying part, at least in the lower end of the "ladder"

It's the selling part that stumped me right now. To sell on eBay means I need to wait for a month to get the money back to grow, so even though it has a large pool of buyers, it's not good for this purpose. So selling local is the best way to go

Finding buyers is the challenge I have right now. Not sure how to go about doing "buy here, sell there", which I assume something like if I bought on Craigslist, I should sell on another platform.

Gordon, in your example in another thread here, you mentioned places like dry cleaner and alterations. Did you contact them and ask if they buy used drapes? Or you just use them as part of that network to find more sellers?