SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 13, 2016, 11:44 AM
ron lafuddy

Default All those cloudy headlights!

All those thousands of people congregatin' in one place.

Seems like a good opportunity for the "fly low, headlight guy" to make his appearance.

A carefully constructed t-shirt, might also help gain customers, without attracting too much attention.

Tell me that you made some moolah from your participation, Gordon.

Ron
(official tee shirt tester from long, long ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Best attended 3 days in years. It is an annual event in Cuyahoga Falls and this year PERFECT weather. Hot Friday, perfect Sat. and Sun.

So, I start every year on Thur, when the first vendors arrive, and I've gotten to know quite a few of them over the years. Then I hit Fri. AM. Sat. AM, Sun AM and an hour before it closes.

To get a measure of the success of the festival, from the vendor's view.

To note: 2 guys have expanded, they have purchased another vend, one guy has lemonade and guess your weight, age or birth month. He rakes in the money, at 3 bux a pop, and I observed him carefully, he lets about 66% win, and near 100% if they "try again"

He gives away those little 25 cent trinkets and stuffed animals most people wouldn't let their kid play with. So, when someone spends 6 bux, in a matter of a minute or less, he's way ahead of the game.

Now some years, he's been rained out. So, he made little or lost his investment.

OK. Two of the old timers have retired and sold their vending units, one is buying from the profits and the former owner helps out now and then, mainly to keep an eye out for his interests.

There were several first timers, and all had high hopes, which will get worn down wit the years, just the nature of the beast.

I can only project and guess income, although some have been forthcoming, others are a bit cagey, as they should be about telling anyone what their business does.

These have NO scientific basis, but I'd be willing to bet they come close...

60% of these traveling vendors, who work the Summer only, will take in between 50 to 85k. They work 50 hour weekends plus their drive time.

20% make less but don't work as much.

15% are absentee owned.

20% own more than one set-up.

Elephant ears remain the most bought food by far. Cotton candy still sells.

Most of the food vendors do well. Some jewelry, some clothing, some art.

MOST of the service vendors waste their time, but those people are paid a minimum plus maybe a lead fee. These include the bath guys, home improvement, cutlery and what not.

The smallest food vendor, my favorite, sells flavored ICE. ICE. With some sugar and color on it. Sold all three days, but especially on Friday night, when it was a sweltering 90 degrees. There was a line.

Well, there might not be much to make from this, but one thing I did find, is...

even though this was a retirement or supplemental money maker for them, the owners felt a sense of control. That is, the one ideal expressed over and over again, was/is...
they are their own bosses.

See? It is still the primary motivation for people starting their own businesses, not so much to get out of a crummy job...

but more often...

to GET AWAY from

crummy people.

Which is why the Biz-Op field will be forever green.

So, what do you know, which could be shared or turned into a specialty report which might help these people escape their peoples problems?

I did have a nice discussion with one vendor about buying and selling, and he is about to get started,

buying and selling FAIR and Event vending and food trucks/trailers. I expect we will both do well.

Erin go Bragh, so the profits continue to roll in, eh?

Gordon