SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 20, 2022, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Default Ice cream and the new fidget spinners.

Pop its. Fidget toys. Sensory and Anti Anxiety toys.

Hey, maybe quit making your kid anxious in the first place. OH, just kidding.

Those were HOT items at both book stores. Keep their hands busy doing something, it (apparently) is needed so as parents don't have to pay too much attention to their kids. No more snark, promise.

I was overwhelmed at the number of these new "toys" and found out they are very popular items for kids.

I also was ASTOUNDED at the size of the COOKBOOK sections in both bookstores, but the Barnes and Noble, is about 3 times the size it was two years ago.

It takes up a wall about 20 yards long.

Amazing. And to go along with that, the COOKING magazine section was bigger than it has ever been.

Ah, FOOD.

GAMES. Much bigger section than pre Covid, I guess the stay at home years created a demand for all kinds of games, new board games, old favs, card games, roll playing (big), and all sorts of pop trivia, like THE OFFICE version of Trivia.

OH, and some REBRANDING going on out there. BIG new section on

SELF TRANFORMATION. WTH???

Had to take a look, and well, it was home shelves to: Tarot, Astrology, Oracle, Divination, crystals. And I can see how

SELF TRANSFORMATION is better than OCCULT or Metaphysical, I get keenly aware when these "shifts" take place.

OH, modern times.

You know, don't you, that today...THIS really means THAT?

The overall impression of both book stores was/is: People are still reading, buying games, little gifts, and Amazon may wipe them off the map someday, but I really enjoyed a couple of leisurely hours browsing through a book store. If you still have one near you, give it a try.

Then, we pulled into the DAIRY MAID Ice Cream store, just as a "gang", or ok, a club of tricycles pulled in...and noticed the 3 guys on real bikes, Harley's were throwing these fun lovers dirty glancers.

Trike Clubs have become very popular, and as Boomers especially age, the balance and weight of a chopper, or REAl bike might be more difficult to ride, the ease of a Trike, and extra passenger space and carrying capacities are becoming very popular. One even had a roof, I guess it can be removed, but it may serve as the "car" in this household.

Anyhow, we ran in the shop before they got in line, and there was a line and I got my usual Vanilla and a small scoop of butterscotch (very mild and different from most) and man oh man, if you like ice cream once in awhile, I hope you have a shop where they make it themselves. What a difference real ice is vs that crap they sell in the supermarkets, even the so-called premium,
tastes nothing like fresh made ice cream.

Although, one does throw out sugar, fat, and all other health concerns when indulging.

More to come.

Gordon