SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 15, 2006, 02:47 PM
Hugh Gaugler

Default This Might Help . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizcoach Dianne View Post
What's a great response?

Dianne,

This is really a question of salesmanship. Here's some applicable data I learned on a Tom Hopkins tape: He or she who asks a question is in control. Thus, you don't answer your prospect's questions with statements because when you do, you lose control of the sales process . . . and that could easily get you in trouble.

Example:

Prospect: "Do you offer a professional SEO service?"

Sales Person: "Oh yes, that's exactly what I do!" [statement]

Prospect: "Well, thanks anyway, I really want to do it myself."

The Sales person should have asked a clarifying question instead, perhaps something like this: "Is that what you looking for . . . a professional to help you with SEO?" [a question]

Prospect: "No, not really. I want to do it myself."

Sales Person: "I see . . . would you rather learn how to do it from a book, or do you think it would be better to learn it from a SEO tutor . . . someone who is completely up to date with the latest techniques?" [another question]

The POINT: Ask clarifying QUESTIONS, do NOT make STATEMENTS in response to your prospect's queries!

Another Example, and more to the point of your request:

Prospect: "So, exactly how would you do SEO for my business?"

Bizcoach Dianne: "Are you looking to do the SEO yourself, or would you rather have an experienced professional do it for you?"

(This will tell you, first of all, whether or not you have a real prospect or a tire kicker on your hands.)

Suppose he/she says: "I really want to learn how to do it myself." Well, then offer your services as an SEO tutor, or (if the prospect is unwilling to pay) refer to books, etc. But, find out what YOU want to know by asking clarifying QUESTIONS.

Or, suppose your prospect says: "I'd like to have someone do it for me, but how do I know I'm going to get what I pay for?"

Careful! You just got another question from the prospect . . . he/she is now in control . . . don't give in to the temptation to jump in with a STATEMENT [like "Well, my services are guaranteed!"] Instead, get back in control by asking a CLARIFYING question: "If it was guaranteed to ___________ (your guarantee), would you be more inclined to enroll in a professional SEO program?"

If your prospect asks ANOTHER question, get him/her to clarify it by responding with questions of your own.

Remember: HE/SHE WHO ASKS THE QUESTION IS IN CONTROL!

You may think that people would object to your answering their questions with questions of your own. That is not the case. Your questions seek to clarify what the prospect needs/wants. Most people are too polite to ignore your questions. They will simply answer, and as long as you keep asking questions and remain interested in their answers, you will be in total control of the sales process. Start making statements in response to their questions, and THEY will be in control!

Hope that helps!

---- Hugh

P.S. Tom Hopkins' salesmanship materials are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!