SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old March 26, 2021, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Default Humor? Maybe...

My big Covid-19 joke:

A guy walks into a bar.

The bartender sez:

"Where's the other guy?"

That's all folks.

Gordon
Old March 30, 2021, 01:27 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: Humor? Maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
My big Covid-19 joke:

A guy walks into a bar.

The bartender sez:

"Where's the other guy?"
I think I finally get it! (I'm sometimes a bit sloooow...)

Cheers,

Dien "Slow but Nice" Rice
Old March 30, 2021, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Default 10 minutes with Steven Wright on Youtube...

And this is what I came up with.

Speaking of Mr. Wright, the only time I saw him laugh was on Late Late show with Craig Ferguson, one of the sharpest wits in comedy.

Stay nice sir, it is better than being funny (sez the guy who has it all...he.he)

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
I think I finally get it! (I'm sometimes a bit sloooow...)

Cheers,

Dien "Slow but Nice" Rice
Old March 30, 2021, 04:00 PM

Default Dunno If This is "Funny" Gordon But I Sell w/Silly POETRY

Thanks Gordon,

I Too Like Steven Write.

Glenn

My Humor does not always translate well.

But I find I can Tell STORIES
inside of a poem.

THAT WORKS.
========
========
Thanks Roger,

In A Sports Bar Last Night,
I Waved, Pointed & SMILED At Barmaid,
She Smiled Back Like an LED LIGHT,
And I Knew I Had it Made.

She Grabbed a Waitress,
Sent Tracy over to my Table,
The Blonde Seductress,
Made a Big Fuss,
I Pulled Her Back like she was on a Cable.

The Wave, The Rasputin Rectangle,
Put Her Emotions in a Tangle.
I Smiled, She Smiled Too,
She Started Acting Goofy Yoo-Hoo,

Almost Drunk,
In a Dazed Funk,
She Brought Me Food,
That Belonged to Another Dude.

Which is One Way to Tell,
When Your FLIRT FOG is Going Well,
Last Week a Cook I Lotto Tipped,
Got Confused and Flipped.

Set a Take-Out Dinner For Two,
In a big white Plastic Bag,
Then Back to the Kitchen she Flew,
I Didn't have a Red Flag.

So I Zapped a Passing Waiter,
And Said, "Sir, Could You Use The Escalator,
To Take This food Back to The Kitchen,
This Bag is full of Chicken,
And one of the Young Men,

Zoomed over and Took it Away,
Brought me three Huge Plates,
Oh Happy Day,
And The Bill Was at Discounted Rates.

Thanks,
Glenn
=========
=========
Dunno how "Funny" this is.

Maybe call it "ODD."

But I find it Easy to Write Silly Poems.

After Each Poem I send Roger.

He Buys something.

Roger Just passed 2 Grand in E-book and mp3 Book Purchases.

Among them...

"Rasputin Rectangle"

And

at 2 am This Morning He bought, The "Flirt Bomb Smile"

Which I read about in a book.

The #1 Salesman in a Construction niche
was using a TRIPLE - 3 Part Smile - to talk his way from Receptionist to CEO.

So

We Flirt Tested it.

Then Wrote it up.

Thanks,
Glenn
Old April 1, 2021, 03:47 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default How "funny" can help sell (and bring in the bux)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Thanks Gordon,

I Too Like Steven Write.

Glenn

My Humor does not always translate well.

But I find I can Tell STORIES
inside of a poem.

THAT WORKS.
Hi Gordon and Glenn,

I remember reading many years ago, advice to NEVER include humor in your marketing!

So, I followed that advice... for a very long time... my marketing was as dull as watching paint dry...

(Okay, maybe not that dull...)

Only recently have I changed my view for a better one...

I think they gave that advice because if your humor falls flat, or if someone is offended, it could lose you a sale... So you lose money, rather than make it...

But, on the other hand...

One of Robert Cialdini's principles of persuasion is...

Liking...

And people generally like those who make them laugh!

So, it follows that... if you can make them laugh, they're probably more likely to buy!

So, that's my view now... No more "dull boy" Dien...
Old April 1, 2021, 03:59 PM

Default Anonymous Client Buys Me a 9 Foot Tall TEDDY BEAR

Thanks Dien/Gordon,

A couple days ago
I
ASKED
My
Ezine Readers to BUY ME a Giant Teddy Bear.

And This Is What Happened.

I Think this is FUN.

And Funny.

(EDITORS NOTE - Plus SERIOUS. This is MY Way of Adapting Gary Halberts PINK CADDY Headline, Reason Why, Bullet***HI- SPEED Copywriting TESTING Strategy.*** Without Painting my car PINK!)

People will run over to meet My PINK BEAR.

SAME as they ran over to See His HOT PINK CAR.

(So I can Ask them, "Which headline do You Like?" Questions.)

(I am Testing This Article to Total Stranger at Medium.com - Thus The Link)

Supposed to Open for Anyone. (Without paying the medium fee of 5 bucks a month.
So if It Does Not - TELL ME.

I will cut and Paste the Article in here instead.

Glenn

https://rentamentor-56426.medium.com...r-f07dcacd90b5
Old April 3, 2021, 05:42 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default This approach brightens the world up...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Thanks Dien/Gordon,

A couple days ago
I
ASKED
My
Ezine Readers to BUY ME a Giant Teddy Bear.

And This Is What Happened.

I Think this is FUN.

And Funny.

(EDITORS NOTE - Plus SERIOUS. This is MY Way of Adapting Gary Halberts PINK CADDY Headline, Reason Why, Bullet***HI- SPEED Copywriting TESTING Strategy.*** Without Painting my car PINK!)

[...]

https://rentamentor-56426.medium.com...r-f07dcacd90b5
Hi Glenn,

I love your ways of achieving instant rapport! (I think it's ingenious! )

(By the way, if you like Glenn's posts, you really ought to get yourself on his email list... His are among my favorites...!)

I'm just reading through Elmer Leterman's book, "The Sale Begins when the Customer says No" (originally published in 1953) - which Gordon recommended many years ago... And only now am I getting around to seriously reading it...

I wish I had started earlier!

Elmer Leterman's approach is the closest I've ever seen to what you do... But of course, you're still a notch above... (No "flirt testing" with Elmer Leterman!)

I find your stuff super-inspiring... Thanks Glenn!

We need more of this in the world... It brightens the world up, and also helps put food on the table, too...!

Best wishes,

Dien
Old April 3, 2021, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Default Dapper meets Daffy. Both share a secret of the Psychic Power Gaze...

Dien,

I'm happy for you, you have found Elmer 2, Elmer 1 being Wheeler. They changed my life. Now, as to Robert Collier, best known in marketing circles as the guy who wrote The RC Letters Book, one of the best on tested remote direct selling principles.

But he wrote a lot more than the Secret of the Ages too. He was important to me because he was the INTERSECTION of the business world and the Woo-Woo metaphysical world too. I have read and at one time owned all of his work. In the San Francisco Metaphysical Library his collection was one of the most read.

ONE of his businesses was PUBLISHING, and see, he crossed the bridge between the two worlds of mind/action. His work was some of the most practical psychology/thought/action books out there. He APPLIED what he taught, and that was always an attraction for me.

I left out a secret in Psychic Power Gaze (well, maybe a couple) but both Glenn and Elmer use the contact strategy, Elmer through his dapper appearance and custom made clothes, with those big pockets for always having a little gift to give (interesting little things) and Glenn with things from Big Red Noses, to lights, to big pink bunnies. First impressions are made.

And both guys knew/know, how to utilize the attention getting moment, to bypass the RAS, lower defenses and implant, suggest or in my case PROJECT the idea straight into their brains.

If you will revisit SPIDERS, SNAKES and MICE, you will see how and why the Elmers' had such a big influence on my life.

And many people forget or don't know Wheeler's book was TESTED Sentences that Sell.

TESTED. Like I did on those porches Saturday morning selling flowers door to door. TESTED like Wheeler did in those big stores he consulted with. TESTED like Glenn Osborn does and so generously shares here with us.

But all the TESTING is against the deep background of knowledge of human behavior and of the mind and how it works. Elmer Wheeler came up with ways which worked and until Robert Cialdini came along, not a lot of thought as to the Why (from the business communities) or how to apply it.

Elmer Leterman set himself apart, through a NETWORK of people who liked him and after a decade of gift giving for no reason, for remembering people and getting to be present when they were with him....payed off in spades because he was one of the best ever at selling.

As an aside, at the WF there is a discussion, superficial as always, but at least it generates some activity, on why people quit. Those of you SowPubbers with at least a SQ1 awareness have seen the 7 exits on the POA, the reasons why people quit.

At the WF, the question was raised as way to detect if future employees will quit or stay with it, and that guy is doomed because the answer he was looking for and found, isn't anywhere close to the real reasons why people quit.

I thank you Dien for finding out about Elmer TOO and when you put the pieces of the puzzle all together on the kitchen table, and look at what you have, you will have a dazzling AH HA moment, I guarantee it.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Glenn,

I love your ways of achieving instant rapport! (I think it's ingenious! )

(By the way, if you like Glenn's posts, you really ought to get yourself on his email list... His are among my favorites...!)

I'm just reading through Elmer Leterman's book, "The Sale Begins when the Customer says No" (originally published in 1953) - which Gordon recommended many years ago... And only now am I getting around to seriously reading it...

I wish I had started earlier!

Elmer Leterman's approach is the closest I've ever seen to what you do... But of course, you're still a notch above... (No "flirt testing" with Elmer Leterman!)

I find your stuff super-inspiring... Thanks Glenn!

We need more of this in the world... It brightens the world up, and also helps put food on the table, too...!

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by GordonJ : April 3, 2021 at 11:13 AM.
Old April 3, 2021, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Default Very few people ever had this book by Robert Collier, I DID.

Speaking of lost work.

Robert Collier had a course, then a book...it was: How to Make Money at Home in Spare Time by Mail. I first saw a copy at KRISTEE products, in Akron, OH.

It is actually where Seeds of Wisdom comes from, as RC wrote in his book, and it was a theme he used at much of his work.

Plant seeds. Lesson six in the course was all about the back end of selling by mail, including upsells, cross sells and maintaining customer lists...which was not an easy chore in the 1930s and 40s. It was a chore, albeit, a profitable one.

Funny thing. All those guys, who 20 years later came up with the concept, all of them probably had Colliers MAIL order book in hand. We think of Joe Karbo, and Ben Suarez, Melvin Powers, Hubert Simon, Bud Weckesser, Jerry Buchanan and Harvey Brody and their spawns: Dan Kennedy, Jay Abraham and Gary Halbert and all the rest...

Collier came decades before any of them had any success at all.

And for the most part, he was more of a Spiritual leader than a business one and the great body of his work reflects that.

See, somewhere in the 1950s, ideas of success became more and more about materialism. A new middle class with hopes, dreams, ambition and aspirations arose.

This is when we saw a boom in the get RICH quick, or GET RICH at all, and for the decades since, the materialistic view of success has been the prominent projection, especially toward young men.

Big houses, cars, boats, all that = success. It became about wealth, money and what you had...not what you did. Today, that is reflected in young people wanting to become INFLUENCERS, the rock stars of today and many teens think they are one viral video away from having Pew Pew Die Die type success. This is even encouraged by their parents.

The recent college entry scandal only shone a little light on the idea, and that idea is the wealthy want to keep the wealth and one way to insure that is by getting your kids into certain "success" colleges, so they can make connections. That is what it is all about.

Getting rich, having things, was NEVER a part of Robert Collier's philosophy, although he created wealth, it was never just about that alone.

I think today, there is a need for a resurgence into the ideas behind our modern view of what wealth and success is.

Being able to buy a Maserati and actually needing to buy one might be the difference between night and day in the real (ethereal) world we live in.

Although Robert Collier wrote about gaining material success via thoughts and control of desires, he also demonstrated the DOING, the passion for what we do is every bit as important as the results we get from the doing.

I know it has been republished, but my copy was a real treasure as was my original edition of Secret of the Ages, both lost in the great flood of my life thanks to greedy A-holes in my city.

How to make money at home, by EMAIL, or remote means...his book would serve as a great template to follow today...long before anyone uttered a word about launches, funnels or email sequences.

Gordon

Last edited by GordonJ : April 3, 2021 at 03:53 PM.
Old April 5, 2021, 03:19 PM

Default Pink Teddy Bear Poem Test of A Robert Cialdini Book Concept

Thanks Dien,

Thanks.

A Customer bought me a Big Pink Teddy Bear so I Put The Bear to Work.
And Wrote this Poem.

When you carry a Pink Bear,
Over your head,
To the Mailbox People Stare,
1st Time in years my neighbor Said,
“What are you doing Over There?”

Then using my new Wonder Wand,
Doing Laundry By Hand,
Watched by a Pink Bear,
Sitting in a Chair,
Isn’t A Normal Affair.

The Neighbors Eyes,
Were big as Apple Pies,
When I walked Over,
Thru the lawn Clover.

Held up a big blue plastic Stick,
He got quite a Kick,
Out Of My Story,
But It went rather Poorly.
Until I showed him The Guts,
That lets me wash 1 pair of Pants,
When our electric power goes Nuts,
Then added How a client in France,
Bought me a Teddy Bear,
With Hot Pink Hair.

So If this happens at my House,
When I am quiet as a Mouse,
What can I Expect,
When I am more Direct,
Sit the Pink Bear,
Down in a Restaurant Chair,
Will my Waiter Genuflect?

Glenn Osborn
Teddy Bear Psychic-Poet (Teddy Bears do not talk so OBVIOUSLY I have to Use ESP.)