SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old August 4, 2007, 08:27 PM
Millard Grubb

Default Lesson From My Grandmother

Yesterday I was getting ready to talk with one of the famed marketers here on the board (You all know who he is) when I had to rush off to the hospital to check on my grandmother who was taken there by ambulance.

My grandfather and grandmother raised me in the heart of the Ozarks years ago and they are my "folks". To see my "Grandma" hooked up to tubes and oxygen not knowing what was wrong and hoping she was gonna make it is something I don't wish on anyone.

But as I talked with her and Grandpa, I realized once again, that money is not the end...It helps make life easier and you've gotta have it to help others....

But the people you love, and the relationships you've developed make far more for you that headlines, or offers, or knockout adword techniques.

I endeavor RIGHT NOW to make sure I give FAR MORE that I ever get to the people I touch in life.

Pondering life,

Millard
Old August 4, 2007, 08:55 PM
work2bfree

Default Re: Lesson From My Grandmother

I agree with this bit of wisdom. Here is something I would like to add during this time. It is called "People and Things"

People were made to be loved and things were made to be used.
We get in trouble when we reverse this and begin to love things and use people.

Thanks for letting me share....
Old August 7, 2007, 01:15 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default The 5 Paths of Life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
But as I talked with her and Grandpa, I realized once again, that money is not the end...It helps make life easier and you've gotta have it to help others....

But the people you love, and the relationships you've developed make far more for you that headlines, or offers, or knockout adword techniques.
Hi Millard,

I agree with you wholeheartedly... The "financial" aspect is only one part of life. If you have that, and nothing else, your life is still "unbalanced"...

Gordon Alexander has talked in the past about the "5 paths of life". The 5 paths of life are the mental (your mind and intelligence), social (family and friends), spiritual (no need to explain), physical (both your own physical health, as well as the physical world around you), and financial (money money money)...

While money and finances are very important, it is only one part. I agree with this general view - you need all the different parts to lead a happy, balanced, and fulfilled life...

Thank you for sharing, Millard, and thanks for listening... I hope things go well for you and your folks...

(My mother passed away a few years ago, so I know how difficult it can be when someone is ill... I think one of the most important things with your loved ones, is making sure that they know you love them, both through your words and actions...)

- Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : August 7, 2007 at 01:23 AM.
Old August 7, 2007, 03:49 AM
MichaelRoss

Default The 4 Paths of Life...

Dien,

Thanks for mentioning the 5 Paths.

My disagreement is with the Spiritual Path. Without knowing What You Mean by it, but Assuming the usual Higher Power Deity Thing (God, Allah, Krishna, Great Green Arkleseizure, whatever), I don't think this is necessary for us.

I am ANTI-religion because they have a tendency to create dependencies, slave/master something for nothing situations, and actually diminish a person's natural Striving mechanisms. They prey on the weak minded and foster more of the same unthinkingness. But wrap it up in Feel Good Duplicity Fantasy. And that's just for Starters.

There are nincompoop Muslims that blow themselves up. Catholic priests molesting children. And the Millions that have been Murdered in the name of Religion.

Some will say Not to blame a religion for things done in its name. But I AM blaming. For it is the religion that Fosters that behavior and turns a blind eye to it. Religions are the most Intolerant things going. And they are ALL cults.

So to me, scratch that Path off the list. And encourage people to be strong off their own bat and take responsibility of their own.

Now, to the other stuff about Passing Parents...

Making sure someone Knows you love them with your actions is Tough. It's tough because you don't know what actions THEY take to mean is an act of love. Ask any five year old if they think mom or dad loves them, while they walk away with a sore bot from getting a Whack for doing something dangerous.

Does the teenager take the parent's Advice as coming from Love or just trying to Rule/Ruin Their Life and Control them?

What actions does the Child deem to be Caring and Loving and what actions does the Parent deem to be Caring and Loving. Sometimes the actions and deemings of those actions do not match, but neither of the parties knows.

21 months ago when my father died (let the Doctors have their way and kill him slowly - don't get me started, grrrrr ), I found, oddly, something of previous somewhat insignificance was suddenly quite important, to me. And that was... Photos... of my dad. Plain old photos.

So my small two cents, for what it's worth is,

make sure you have plenty of photos of your loved ones.

Once they are gone, you can't get any more.

But enough of this melancholy,

Ross Out (of this thread)...
Old August 8, 2007, 08:47 AM
SteveSki

Default Re: The 4 Paths of Life...

Hi Michael, I think that being religious is not the same as being spiritual. The first is very destructive and frightening and it’s leaders use brainwashing techniques to control their flocks. Being spiritual enlightens and tames the devil in us all. Being religious brings out the worst in others if you happen to disagree with their viewpoint.

Have you ever read any books by Eckhart Tolle, such as “The Power of Now” and “A New Earth”?

You take someone like that who practices being spiritual and most religious people can do nothing but find fault with him and have to resort to using scare tactics to keep from losing control.

On your comment about taking plenty of pictures of your loved one… today we had an elderly couple come in for a one hour photo session. Both husband and wife in their mid seventies. The old bloke looked alright from a distance but every time I got close while posing them I could hear the rasping and gurgling of his lungs. After they left my wife pointed out that he stank of cigarette smoke. I hadn’t noticed because of my blocked sinuses.

During the session I thought to myself that he should have given up smoking a long time ago but looks like he is going to smoke himself to death. At least his family knows his days are numbered and thats probably why they called us for portraits.

I’ve taken you up on the advice you gave me on giving up sugar and coffee. But instead of going cold turkey like you suggested I have replaced my sugar with Xylitol and am replacing my coffee and tea with herbal teas. My breath has never been so fresh or my teeth so clean and plague free!

Cheers,
Steve Shulenski
Old August 7, 2007, 06:00 AM

Default Re: The 5 Paths of Life...

Thanks Millard & Dien.

This may help - while making my monthly goals - I focus on 4 topics:

Health
Wisdom
Wealth
Happiness

Health is further divided into two parts: physical and mental.
Happiness is divided into two parts too: personal and social.

I list out everything I wish to be and do under those 4 topics. And then pick up 3-4 things to focus on for that month.

--

This is a good read too:
Happiness Formula
http://dilbertblog.typepad.com/the_d...ess_formu.html
Old August 7, 2007, 06:28 AM
Millard Grubb

Default Re: The 5 Paths of Life...

Thanks everyone....

Grandma is OK and resting at home....

Getting photos is VERY important in my mind... When my mother and brother were killed on the same day two years ago, I couldn't find enough pictures... or video....

I used to laugh at people who always had their MiniDvs out ..taping EVERYTHING.....

The value I put on the videos made me look seriously at putting together a business whereby you could film your loved one while they were alive talking about life..talking about their experiences...talking about what was important....

Wouldn't it be great if you missed a passed on relative to just get out a DVD that had them talking to you... with the gestures...the mannerisms... the things you remember most.... It does have possibiilities....

Warmly,

Millard