SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old May 14, 2022, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Default Why I don't ebay.

I jumped to the 8th week in THE CHATTEL REPORT, THE SPRINT TO FREEDOM and never looked back.

Everyday. Every single day, I find items selling between 500 and 1500 dollars with at least 25% stored value in them. Or, 100 bux to 300+ dollars. Go up a thousand and you find at least 400 profit in that amount.

It is the least understood, and yet the most important part of FLIPPING or buying and selling anything.

I marvel at the guys selling 30 and 40 dollar items on eBay by the hundreds, just the time alone it takes to package and ships, is time I could spend feeding squirrels in the park.

TIME VS. MONEY has always been an issue for me.

Maximum dollars in MINIMUM time, not only a great Gary Halbert headline, but also a great maxim for all business/money making ventures.

People look for THINGS to sell. I look for dollars.

What are people selling on Facebook marketplace, or craigslist or local buy and sell groups that have STORED value, there is where I do my searches, and sure it takes time to learn it...but in the 25 years since I wrote that first report, anyone could have become an expert on anything.

And even without personal expertise, I can borrow expertise for next to nothing, which is where building networks come in, which to my knowledge, not one of the thousands of readers have ever done.

Dollars, not things. Buy then sell for market value.

Or complicate the heck out of things.

Gordon
Old May 16, 2022, 07:42 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default My big eBay mistake!

Hi Gordon,

You've reminded me of my big eBay mistake!

I think it was back in 2002... Jeepers, that's 20 years ago now...

I had already done some chatteling (successfully)... and I had read Jim Straw's report, on how to "Make a Fortune Just Snooping Around"... (good report by the way...)

So, I started snooping...

Those were the days when people were still buying music CDs.

I found a music CD store... going out of business!

I had some spare cash at the time, so I organized to buy all their stock, which was all NEW...

I forgot how much it cost, it was probably around $5,000 or so... But I figured I could make many multiples of that, selling the stock (mostly music CDs, with some DVDs thrown in), individually...

So, I got to selling my new CDs on eBay...

What I didn't count on was - as you point out - the TIME it takes to do the listings!

Because virtually each listing was different!

It's not too bad if you're selling 100 of the SAME THING... Because the listing is the same. You only have to create it once, then list it again and again...

But if you're selling 100 different things... that's a lot of TIME and WORK!

You have to do each listing individually!

Then, I haven't yet gotten to the time it takes for packing and shipping each single CD...

Ahem... Anyone wanna buy some music CDs? (I still have a couple of boxes stored away...)

Best wishes!

Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
I jumped to the 8th week in THE CHATTEL REPORT, THE SPRINT TO FREEDOM and never looked back.

Everyday. Every single day, I find items selling between 500 and 1500 dollars with at least 25% stored value in them. Or, 100 bux to 300+ dollars. Go up a thousand and you find at least 400 profit in that amount.

It is the least understood, and yet the most important part of FLIPPING or buying and selling anything.

I marvel at the guys selling 30 and 40 dollar items on eBay by the hundreds, just the time alone it takes to package and ships, is time I could spend feeding squirrels in the park.

TIME VS. MONEY has always been an issue for me.

Maximum dollars in MINIMUM time, not only a great Gary Halbert headline, but also a great maxim for all business/money making ventures.

People look for THINGS to sell. I look for dollars.

What are people selling on Facebook marketplace, or craigslist or local buy and sell groups that have STORED value, there is where I do my searches, and sure it takes time to learn it...but in the 25 years since I wrote that first report, anyone could have become an expert on anything.

And even without personal expertise, I can borrow expertise for next to nothing, which is where building networks come in, which to my knowledge, not one of the thousands of readers have ever done.

Dollars, not things. Buy then sell for market value.

Or complicate the heck out of things.

Gordon
Old May 18, 2022, 12:03 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default I forgot to add that...

I forgot to add that, I ended up selling a lot of the CDs at a local flea market (still at a profit)...

No problems with listing, packaging, shipping, etc. People could just ruffle through the CDs to see if there was anything they wanted...

All the CDs had price stickers on them (from when they were in the store that went bankrupt), so I just had a big sign saying they were new CDs, and I think I gave 20% off the sticker price...

Best wishes,

Dien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

You've reminded me of my big eBay mistake!

I think it was back in 2002... Jeepers, that's 20 years ago now...

I had already done some chatteling (successfully)... and I had read Jim Straw's report, on how to "Make a Fortune Just Snooping Around"... (good report by the way...)

So, I started snooping...

Those were the days when people were still buying music CDs.

I found a music CD store... going out of business!

I had some spare cash at the time, so I organized to buy all their stock, which was all NEW...

I forgot how much it cost, it was probably around $5,000 or so... But I figured I could make many multiples of that, selling the stock (mostly music CDs, with some DVDs thrown in), individually...

So, I got to selling my new CDs on eBay...

What I didn't count on was - as you point out - the TIME it takes to do the listings!

Because virtually each listing was different!

It's not too bad if you're selling 100 of the SAME THING... Because the listing is the same. You only have to create it once, then list it again and again...

But if you're selling 100 different things... that's a lot of TIME and WORK!

You have to do each listing individually!

Then, I haven't yet gotten to the time it takes for packing and shipping each single CD...

Ahem... Anyone wanna buy some music CDs? (I still have a couple of boxes stored away...)

Best wishes!

Dien
Old May 19, 2022, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Default The fleamarket is alive and well and having a comeback post covid.

My local BIG flea market, the HARTVILLE FLEA MARKET (one of the best in the world) is back to full swing, I look forward to the Memorial Day weekend, if the weather holds, I'll be down there shopping for bargains.

As we get back into pre covid normalcy, don't forget a flea market, or get back to estate and garage sales, lots of stored value to be found there, and think of it as a buyer's "platform" where you can place those goods on.

A lot of OFF LINE is doing great, as I mentioned in Mail Order/Circular thread, or the Cash Gifting/Crowd funding one.

Hope you all have some OFF LINE side hustles going, not too much time, but a big return on investments.

Have fun at your local flea market and make it a profitable day too.

Gordon

Quote:
I forgot to add that, I ended up selling a lot of the CDs at a local flea market (still at a profit)...

No problems with listing, packaging, shipping, etc. People could just ruffle through the CDs to see if there was anything they wanted...

All the CDs had price stickers on them (from when they were in the store that went bankrupt), so I just had a big sign saying they were new CDs, and I think I gave 20% off the sticker price...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old May 19, 2022, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Default I think this is my NEW business.

I am a customer of this eBay seller, and I have bought from him.

This one is my GOLD standard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29356018686...1&isGTR=1#shId

A single piece of paper, card stock, sold for 3.95. An envelope, stamp and the guy has a 3.25 minimum PROFIT, and a name to send other offers too.

Why I don't do this baffles me sometimes, pure laziness??? I guess.

Who sez info products have to be more than that? Not ME!!

A single piece of paper sold to millions of people is my new goal for this year.

Get your 3.95 ready, cause here I come.

Gordon
Old May 19, 2022, 09:05 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default A better way to get rich...

Hi Gordon,

My feeling is that... if you have knowledge you've gained from ONLINE selling and marketing... you can take that OFFLINE and make a "killing"...

The reason why is... less competition...

Instead of competing against "the world"... you're competing against just those in your local area...

I think I'm going to do more offline too...

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. This recent article in the New York Times tells us that the typical "rich person" is not a dot-com or Web 2.0 or even Web 3.0 zillionaire... It's the owner of a regional (i.e. offline) business...

The Rich Are Not Who We Think They Are. And Happiness Is Not What We Think It Is, Either.
https://web.archive.org/web/20220515...-big-data.html

Quote:
My local BIG flea market, the HARTVILLE FLEA MARKET (one of the best in the world) is back to full swing, I look forward to the Memorial Day weekend, if the weather holds, I'll be down there shopping for bargains.

As we get back into pre covid normalcy, don't forget a flea market, or get back to estate and garage sales, lots of stored value to be found there, and think of it as a buyer's "platform" where you can place those goods on.

A lot of OFF LINE is doing great, as I mentioned in Mail Order/Circular thread, or the Cash Gifting/Crowd funding one.

Hope you all have some OFF LINE side hustles going, not too much time, but a big return on investments.

Have fun at your local flea market and make it a profitable day too.

Gordon
Old May 20, 2022, 03:00 AM

Default Re: I think this is my NEW business.

Interesting.

He's also made almost 2,000 sales on Etsy of his products.

And has numerous books on Kindle as well:

https://www.amazon.com/S-Rob/e/B00B5..._cont_ebooks_1

Quote:
I am a customer of this eBay seller, and I have bought from him.

This one is my GOLD standard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29356018686...1&isGTR=1#shId

A single piece of paper, card stock, sold for 3.95. An envelope, stamp and the guy has a 3.25 minimum PROFIT, and a name to send other offers too.

Why I don't do this baffles me sometimes, pure laziness??? I guess.

Who sez info products have to be more than that? Not ME!!

A single piece of paper sold to millions of people is my new goal for this year.

Get your 3.95 ready, cause here I come.

Gordon
Old May 20, 2022, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Default And he runs ads in the circulars, like Shore to Shore

Thanks Trevor92,

He is also doing quite a bit of off line promotion, I think I'll reach out and maybe see if he wants to do an interview.

My main critique is, that when I rec'd my purchase, there wasn't any offers included. YIKES, I just bought something, and all he had to do was insert a flier or two, a couple pieces of paper and I might have bought again.

Other than that, and having NO idea of his business...the whole simple PRINT ON DEMAND with a huge catalog of "weird, unusual, off-beat" INFORMATION products is right down my alley.

And I may buy some jewelry, just to see what he does.

Opportunity. Its there, just grab it and create your own thing.

Love these people who are so off beat they have done it THEIR WAY.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevord92 View Post
Interesting.

He's also made almost 2,000 sales on Etsy of his products.

And has numerous books on Kindle as well:

https://www.amazon.com/S-Rob/e/B00B5..._cont_ebooks_1
Old May 20, 2022, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Default Or do both.

As we take a look at Solar-Vision on eBay as a model of a publishing house, one with a huge catalog of offers.

He is doing both, those are REAL hold in your hands products (reports) and more than likely runs a print on demand business model.

But he could have displays in stores, like at Momma's Rocks, where I was this past weekend, a beautiful store that sells all things crystals, rocks, metaphysical and his line would fit nicely with that.

And he could do WORKSHOPS, small gatherings of people who want to learn one of his interesting subjects, and of course, video those and have another product.

Thanks for the article link, and these are my key takeaways.

Rich people own...UNsexy businesses. They build monopolies (brands), like auto dealers who are protected and franchises, which have REGIONS or districts.

And THIS:

My data-driven advice for getting rich for someone with good analytical skills and deep experience in a field is to start a market research business.

Use your specialized knowledge in the field to write up reports;

sell them widely and charge a fortune to your contacts in the field. I have estimated that more than 10 percent of owners of market research businesses are in the top 0.1 percent.

Thanks Forbes. Great idea.

Gordon

Quote:
Hi Gordon,

My feeling is that... if you have knowledge you've gained from ONLINE selling and marketing... you can take that OFFLINE and make a "killing"...

The reason why is... less competition...

Instead of competing against "the world"... you're competing against just those in your local area...

I think I'm going to do more offline too...

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. This recent article in the New York Times tells us that the typical "rich person" is not a dot-com or Web 2.0 or even Web 3.0 zillionaire... It's the owner of a regional (i.e. offline) business...

The Rich Are Not Who We Think They Are. And Happiness Is Not What We Think It Is, Either.
https://web.archive.org/web/20220515...-big-data.html
Old May 22, 2022, 01:36 AM

Default Mind Control Magic Book by Rob

Thanks Gordon,

I Like The MIND CONTROL Buyers Niche Rob is Selling into.

Years ago - Some Guy Bet Me I couldn't Sell Stuff on Ebay.

He Didn't know I was got back from a Gary Halbert seminar. So was STOKED.

In my view - Ebay - in those days was about Copywriting.

So I wrote a Sales Letter and Sold a Clients book and the 10 Bonus Reports
I wrote for Him.

Bryan Redfield - "Bartenders Guide on how to Pick Up Women"

SEX and DATING Niche.

I put the Auction up - got one bidder. Called him on the phone and sold him a book for 99 bucks.

So I can BRAG I got a Sale On My First Try at Ebay.

But had to split 50/50 with Bryan.

Didn't wanna do that. It's a Hassle.

So I Combined two idea - from 2 different niches.

Plus Researched Ebay and Discovered People were Paying MORE for AudioBooks. So they could walk, drive and LISTEN.

So.

Flirting/Dating
&
Mind Control

Headline -

"Bartenders Guide on How to Make Women JUMP"

Sold a Bunch of Audiobooks for 500.00 each.

MY SECRET?

I found a Ton of people selling "How to Pick up women STUFF - And a bunch of folks Already selling MIND CONTROL stuff.

So I threw my Marketing Fish Hook (KEY WORDS) into those two Ponds of Successful Sellers.

Borrowed some of their buyers.

Hmmmm.

Good idea there.

"Mind Control Copywriting."

J. K. Rowling Used *Mind Control Methods* to sell 500 million books.

Thanks,
Glenn

Here is a Link to Rob's "Mind Control" Kindle book. Which I would Never Buy
because He didn't offer PROOF in his Body Copy Section.

But he sold TEN anyway.

Which PROVES "Mind Control" is a good niche.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...api_tkin_p1_i5