SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old July 10, 2007, 10:01 AM
MichaelRoss

Default Hmmm.

Jim,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Obviously I haven't use an Iphone - Not available in Australia yet. And when I made the comment they weren't available in the US yet either.

But as to my comment...

The iPhone can access the net, so can my current cell phone. So my statement that my phone can access the net now is correct.

And I suggest, before you call someone's comments Ignorant, you actually read what was written, not take things out of context, and check the dates of the posting in relation to the thing being commented about.

Because, Frankly, there was just no need for this drive-by jib from you out of nowhere.

Michael Ross
Old July 10, 2007, 10:20 AM
James Anthony

Default Re: Hmmm.

Michael,

My "drive-by jib" was based on knowledge from actual use.

I didn't want people to think it's "Just another cell phone with web access abilities" because frankly, the technology used in the iPhone blows away anything currently out there.

Your web access capabilities and web browsing experience don't come close to what the iPhone offers.

The web experience is amazing. No other phone comes close.

The built in camera is amazing. No other phone comes close.

The photo viewing functions are incredible. Nothing else out there like it.

Text messaging is easier than it's ever been. Attaching photos to those messages is made super simple.

The iPod functions are amazing.

The voicemail functions are incredible and heve never been seen on any phone before.

I've got a button that I can push to check my stocks instantly.

I can do more with the "maps" functions than I can from Google.

And yes, I can even go straight to YouTube from a button on the phone.

Trust me, It's a whole lot more than "Just another cell phone with web access abilities"

You can learn a bit more about it at.... http://www.apple.com/iphone/usingiphone/guidedtour.html

Jim

Last edited by James Anthony : July 10, 2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old July 10, 2007, 10:25 AM
Pete Egeler

Default New iPhone..

Just saw where Apple is now going to come out with a cheaper version of the iPhone.

Haven't read the details yet.

Pete
Old July 11, 2007, 02:59 AM
Bill

Default Re: New iPhone..

Here's the story. Seem to be conflicting ideas about this:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...071001664.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/26z2n7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Egeler View Post
Just saw where Apple is now going to come out with a cheaper version of the iPhone.

Haven't read the details yet.

Pete
Old July 11, 2007, 03:02 AM
Bill

Default Re: Did Job's Steal The Idea?

Here's a less expensive phone based on Linux that looks pretty interesting:

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/07/09...nuxbased_.html

http://www.openmoko.com/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRoss View Post
Phil,

Thanks for ideas.

What the heck is an iPhone? "Thanks Megashake" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone

Interesting to see LG is claiming Jobs Stole the design from their PRADA phone. Of course, the similarities between the iPhone and other Large Screen PDAs would need to be taken into account. Mayhaps LG is looking for some Free Press.

I could see where LG might think Jobs is a thief. Xerox invented Windows, Jobs stole it then complained when MS stole it from him. HA!

As with the iPod, this is more about Hype then anything. Just another cell phone with web access abilities. Heck, my cell phone can do that now. It ain't touch screen, but so what? I don't use it to access the net, or watch teenage angst movies on youtube, now.

It'll take off as the trend following sheep jump to it. Oh well. Time to open a virtual ipod/iphone shop... if you can afford the Trademark Licenses - I see Jobs is in some hotwater there as well. HA!

And like the iPod, a non-user-replaceable battery. $500 down the drain when the battery dies 18 months down the track. I think not.

At least he's learning from IBM and allowing people to make Third Party Applications. But I won't jump for joy until I see them flood the market. - I won't jump for joy even if they do flood the market hehehehe.

Personally, I don't see a big enough advancement in technololgy to herold this is as the next sliced bread. But then again, he ain't trying to take over the world like Google. Just a tiny 1% of the cellphone pie - of course, he'll be happy if he gets more ;o)

Ever see that Scene in Star Wars where Obi Wan is told "if it's not in the archives it doesn't exist." Google and Wikipedia are "The Archives".

Now excuse me while I put some bread in my iToast, boil some water in my iPot and have a nice tea from my iCup. Ahhhh.... that's iBetter.

Michael Ross

P.S. I just thought... Job's created the biggest joke in history and no-one woke up to it. He called it the iPOD. And people blindly bought them, just like good POD PEOPLE do.
Old July 11, 2007, 06:24 AM
Phil

Default Re: New iPhone..

Lot's of opinions and all kinds of interesting iPhone news out there...

BUT.. Search out the Problems and you just might want to Stay away from it...

Until Consumer buying Power gives us one for the Future price of an old Calculator...

Do the math and leave the iPhone on the shelf
http://media.wildcat.arizona.edu/med...-2918963.shtml

Before you activate your iPhone, read this!
http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9739118-7.html

Phil
Old July 11, 2007, 11:20 AM
James Anthony

Default There's a big difference....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRoss View Post
I could see where LG might think Jobs is a thief. Xerox invented Windows, Jobs stole it then complained when MS stole it from him. HA!

Jobs saw a graphic user interface in use by a company who didn't patent it and had no intention of releasing it to the public. It was for internal company use only.

He copied it and improved upon it.

That's hardly "stealing". That's brilliance in entrepreunership.

Gates, on the other hand, was hired to write software for the Mac and was given a few prototypes to work with.

Shortly thereafter, "windows" was released.

That's what I'd call "stealing"

Funny thing is, Microsoft keeps doing the same thing year after year.

Apple puts it out, and a year or three later, Microsoft follows with something "close".

Never as good, but occasionally close.

Jim
Old July 11, 2007, 04:17 PM
MichaelRoss

Default Not really big difference....

Jim,

Thanks for praising Jobs.

It doesn't matter what you decide to Call it... The facts remain the same... Jobs GOT the idea from Xerox and Gates GOT the idea from Apple.

And yes, it is the same MO MS has operated under for years. Let someone else shows what's selling well and then they jump in with their own version - Wordperfect becomes Word, Lotus 123 becomes Excel, Netscape becomes Internet Explorer - and market the heck out of it. Of course, it helps when you can also automatically include your software with a computer's OS. HA!

Whether you like MS or not, their MO is proven. And it's the same MO Michael Winicki was getting at in the "How to spot a hot product" thread we had about a month back. And the same MO Harv Ecker mentions - find what's selling over there and sell it over here.

Michael Ross