SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old August 17, 2018, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Default EUREKA, mug biscotti, finally.

Of all the things in the kitchen, this has been the most elusive to get right.

I loved Biscotti, especially with my spiked egg nog coffee at Christmas, but I don't do sugar, flour or nuts these days. And sugar free cookies, well, they suck.

I've gotten some good pan fried cookies over the years, and many MUG RECIPES, which I should have, but alas, never cashed in on. Today Mug cooking/baking is hot. Whoops, there goes another fortune down the gullet, the way the cookie crumbles when we fail to ACT on our ideas.

Anyhow, lament aside.

Here is my MUG BISCOTTI recipe...for everyone to use.

4 heaping tablespoons almond flour
2 heaping tablespoons coconut flour
pinch of baking soda,
1/4 tsp of baking powder

In a separate mixing bowl,
2 TBLS butter (room temp) Canola oil "butter" subst itute for non dairy
1 TBLS coconut oil
1 small egg (of if dairy free, use UNsweetend applesauce 1/4 cup)
1 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Mix wet add to dry, stir in bowl until small dough ball forms, many need a couple drops of water, or use coconut/almond milk, or yogurt or kefir in dairy is ok, usually not much is needed to keep it a dough, too much and you get a pancake mix...

Then put the dough ball into your mug (MY secret: I use coffee filters, no mess made). Microwave for 1 minute in full power microwave, 90 seconds or 2 minutes in small power...

IF top is still wet and doughy, I pour it into another mug lined with a coffee filter, because microwaves cook the bottom of the mug, so another 30 seconds should do it.

Pour out of mug, let stand 10 minutes, cut in half. Slice each half into thirds to get six mini biscottis. I brush with a little butter coconut mixture, then bake in toaster over 325 for about 15 minutes or until golden brown if you like them a little bit harder.

Let cool, leave out, the longer you let stand, the dryer and harder they get. I like mine hard, to dip into my crappy decaf coffee.

CRAP. lost the rest, not going to retype. Oh well, if you have questions, ask.
Old August 17, 2018, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Default Re: EUREKA, mug biscotti, finally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

I loved Biscotti, especially with my spiked egg nog coffee at Christmas, but I don't do sugar, flour or nuts these days. And sugar free cookies, well, they suck.

I've gotten some good pan fried cookies over the years, and many MUG RECIPES, which I should have, but alas, never cashed in on. Today Mug cooking/baking is hot. Whoops, there goes another fortune down the gullet, the way the cookie crumbles when we fail to ACT on our ideas.

Anyhow, lament aside.

pinch of baking soda,
1/4 tsp of baking powder

2 TBLS butter (room temp) Canola oil "butter" substitute for non dairy users
1 TBLS coconut oil
1 small egg (or if dairy free, use UNsweetend applesauce 1/4 cup)
1 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Mix wet add to dry, stir in bowl until small dough ball forms, many need a couple drops of water, or use coconut/almond milk, or yogurt or Kefir if dairy is ok, usually not much is needed to keep it a dough, too much and you get a pancake mix...

Then put the dough ball into your mug (MY secret: I use coffee filters, no mess made). Microwave for 1 minute on full power microwave, 90 seconds or 2 minutes in small power...

IF top is still wet and doughy, I pour it into another mug lined with a coffee filter, because microwaves cook the bottom of the mug, so another 30 seconds should do it.

Pour out of mug, let stand 10 minutes, cut in half. Slice each half into thirds to get six mini biscottis. I brush with a little butter/coconut oil mixture, then bake in toaster over 325 for about 15 minutes or until golden brown if you like them a little bit harder.

If you want sugar, or honey and don't want it in the dough itself, add a tsp of brown sugar or honey to the butter/oil microwave 8 seconds and stir...makes a nice sweet coating, if so inclined.

Let cool, leave out, the longer you let stand, the dryer and harder they get. I like mine hard, to dip into my crappy decaf coffee.

CRAP. Lost the rest, not going to retype. Oh well, if you have questions, ask.

Does anyone else ever accidentally hit the key which makes things disappear? I know better, but keep doing it over and over, insanely.
Old August 24, 2018, 08:08 PM
cash4notes

Default Yes, but you might find better recipes.

Gordon going to guess that this can be done completely in the oven?

As i don't use microwaves

Last edited by GordonJ : August 25, 2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old August 25, 2018, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Yes, but you might find better recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cash4notes View Post
Gordon going to guess that this can be done completely in the oven?

As i don't use microwaves

The mugs are a quick fix for us who have dietary restrictions, and are in a hurry.

But, if you don't have those, and can and want to eat sugar, nuts, dairy, then I would advise the standard two bake biscotti recipes, which are much more yummy.

We muggers, want a simulated carb fix, so we look for those shortcuts.

But, I'll make you a deal, the mugs are ovenware, so I'll test it out for you in the oven, we'll find out. OK? Will do tomorrow (Sun.) morning. And I'll take pics and post the results, may do a side by side, one without the good stuff and one with all the tasty stuff too, just to compare.

Thanks, always willing to experiment in the kitchen.

Gordon
Old August 25, 2018, 01:04 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Re: EUREKA, mug biscotti, finally.

Quote:

Anyhow, lament aside.

pinch of baking soda,
1/4 tsp of baking powder

2 TBLS butter (room temp) Canola oil "butter" subst itute for non dairy
1 TBLS coconut oil
1 small egg (of if dairy free, use UNsweetend applesauce 1/4 cup)
1 tsp almond extract
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

Mix wet add to dry, stir in bowl until small dough ball forms, many need a couple drops of water, or use coconut/almond milk, or yogurt or kefir in dairy is ok, usually not much is needed to keep it a dough, too much and you get a pancake mix...

Then put the dough ball into your mug (MY secret: I use coffee filters, no mess made). Microwave for 1 minute in full power microwave, 90 seconds or 2 minutes in small power...

Pour out of mug, let stand 10 minutes, cut in half. Slice each half into thirds to get six mini biscottis. I brush with a little butter coconut mixture, then bake in toaster over 325 for about 15 minutes or until golden brown if you like them a little bit harder.

CRAP. lost the rest, not going to retype. Oh well, if you have questions, ask.
Wow, Gordon, sounds delicious!

I'm also limiting my flour and sugar nowadays... I'm always looking for good tasting, low-carb foods... That don't cost an arm and a leg...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old August 26, 2018, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Default Not very good results, hold off on oven.

Quote:
The mugs are a quick fix for us who have dietary restrictions, and are in a hurry.

But, if you don't have those, and can and want to eat sugar, nuts, dairy, then I would advise the standard two bake biscotti recipes, which are much more yummy.

We muggers, want a simulated carb fix, so we look for those shortcuts.

But, I'll make you a deal, the mugs are ovenware, so I'll test it out for you in the oven, we'll find out. OK? Will do tomorrow (Sun.) morning. And I'll take pics and post the results, may do a side by side, one without the good stuff and one with all the tasty stuff too, just to compare.

Thanks, always willing to experiment in the kitchen.

Gordon

I'm going to have adjust this (I don't know how yet), ended up with a very fall apart crumbly mug full of something, it may need butter/oil and another egg for the oven. I'll try again. Pictures of crumbs sort of instill less confidence...in the baker. I'm off to find some expertise in using these "flours"...so save your stuff, for a day or two, then we'll oven it again.

I wanted to do a cheese version and one with blueberries and cocoa, but, the first batch (and a couple of not very good pancakes made with almond and coconut flour) took me out of the baking mood.

May have to bake some regular choc chips, just to use as motivation...HA!

Good thing I'm not counting on my next fortune to come from HEALTHY eating.

Any working bakers in the house? (Maybe I've lost my touch??).

Gordon