SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 28, 2021, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Default Business in the Summer of 2021.

Marie Kondo that stuff...

Harvey Brody that stuff...

KISS it.

All part of my NEW (yet very old) Plan of Action for the Summer of 2021.

Simplify, get rid of the slop and mess and Keep It Simple StupidO.

Harvey Brody's slop and mess was found in his annoying employees, so he got rid of them via attrition. Eliminating as much people contact as I can and still have a decent ROI on my time investment.

My slop and mess has been found in my email folders, where it has eaten up too much of my time, and although I encouraged contact via email, it is getting scaled WAY back this summer. Also have signed out of a few forums and Facebook groups, just nothing there for me at this point.

I've always liked SIMPLE ideas, like DO SOMETHING/get paid now.

Like selling flowers door to door as in SPIDERS, SNAKES AND MICE.

Or seeds, cards, even jewelry and household items. It may still be the fastest way to put cash in your pocket, ALTHOUGH, it can get messy if one allows it too.

Today, as I'm talking to local businesses who are trying to RECOVER from the pandemic fueled depression of the past year, I find they are getting ANNOYED with sales people, even in their email folders.

In town currently, we have some people offering SMS, Texting, SEO, YELP and reviews still some selling ads in monthly pubs, coupon connections, etc.

Reminds me of the early 90's when there were so many advertising sales people it would make a head spin.

I always liked the idea of walking in with something (like a sign Open/Closed) and walking out with cash. Simple. Buy it or don't. The more you see the more you make. The objective is/was to find those products and services which did not require a lot of selling, but could be offered with a shrug of indifference as to whether they buy or not.

Anyhow, the PROMISE of 1994 was an International audience, buying digital products, with automated systems. We've gone over the top of the roller coaster with that one.

Bud Riggs, THE BOZ, had it right too. Work when you want, set up where there is traffic which needs your service, let them know and shrug off the people who don't buy. I do love the Headlight Cleaning business as he perfected it. Simple, easy, CASH in hand, do it and be done with it.

Using that model for my Summer "job". Here is what I offer, take it or leave it, if you get it, thanks and move on. Difference is that THE BOZ was mostly a one off guy, do a headlight and it won't need a cleaning for a year.

But with local businesses, a recurring job can be set in motion with the same take it or leave it offer.

Over the years, I developed a pretty strong attitude about whether you want in or not on MY projects. Thinking back to that Don Alm menu board which I had success with; I simply told the guy:

To an insurance guy: If you don't want on, then Jim at State Farm or Bob at Farmers or one of the other 101 guys in the area will take the slot.

I really didn't care, which not only gave me armor against any attacks to "selling" in general, but also was a great closer too.

Anyhow, my busy APRIL has been successful, and now I want to make MAY my MARKET MY DEAL month...and let it coast through the Summer....

...sans clutter, slop and mess, caring, and with limited TIME spent on it.

Hope you have your Summer all planned out too.

Gordon Alexander

P.S. When was the last time you did a personal AUDIT of your time and your business? Do you even know how much time you spend online and what you do with that time?

Do you know how long it takes to get a customer (and the cost) and then time to maintain and grow your biz?

I hope so.

Are you doing what you want to do, where you want to do it, surrounded by the people you want to be around every day?

If so, good for you. If not...when are you going to Marie Kondo/Harvey Brody your life and business? Next year?

Last edited by GordonJ : April 28, 2021 at 10:48 AM.