SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old May 28, 2019, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Default Muscle Cars, Moolah and Jets. Thinking BIGGER.

Nothing like a fighter jet to wake you up, even if you are standing tall at a Parade. Only two flew over, but what a rumble.

So, last night at the Monday Riverfront Cruisein https://www.riverfrontcruisein.com/

was MUSCLE CAR Monday. I saw several people I knew, including one pretty rich guy, who I've worked with before, and he was talking about making deals into the tens of thousands of dollars for NOSTALGIA CAR collectors.

We got to talking, and this came up (because it was on my mind due to a post at Warrior Forum) and thought one or two of you might find it interesting.

Almost a decade ago, I was working hard on what was dubbed the Ben/Harvey project, the gist of it was: TWO very successful Entrepreneurs HELPING other high net worth execs to build a bigger business. Then, there was the trickle down information products that would come out of this.

The project was put on hold, then canceled but all the work I did on it, well, it paid off for me.

Back in the late 80's Jay Abraham ran his famous long sales letter insert in Entrepreneur Magazine for his PROTEGE program, where people could spend 15 or 20 thousand dollars to attend his exclusive mentoring/marketing program. At the time, it was creating quite the stir, 20 THOUSAND DOLLARS for a seminar/workshop was FRANCHISE type money. I believe Glenn Osborn has attended several of these.

But it wasn't the only one, or the first. Joe Sugarman did his RETREAT in the mountains, and as memory serves, that was over 20k too.

Dan Kennedy used to get 18k (I think) for his Platinum Inner Circle, and so on and so on.

During the late 80's and early 90's Ben grew SCI from around a 10 million a year company to a 100 million dollar company, ASTOUNDING growth, and amazing results.

To take a company from 10 million to 15 million in one year would be an A++ Job Well Done. To continue that sort of growth for several years...well, astounding.

That was the basic idea behind the Ben/Harvey project, to find those people who wanted that type of growth. Put on exclusive workshops and have a retainer while they implemented their programs. And what worked for the bigger companies could then be applied to smaller ones, and even to the mom and pop operations who wanted rapid growth.

So, my Muscle car friend has attended those types of exclusive "RETREATS", and surprisingly they are much more common that most of us realize. Any given week, someone somewhere is hosting an exclusive seminar where attendees have paid thousands of dollars to attend.

OH, saw today that Mackenzie Bezos plans on giving half of her 37 BILLION DOLLARS to charitable causes.

Give 18 Billion away and still have 18 Billion...for what I wonder?

To my point: there are people with MONEY out there, guys spending tens of thousands of dollars on their toys (almost all old car junkies have more than one in their garages), on their good deeds, and ON THEIR BUSINESSES.

What we may think on a daily basis is very small potatoes compared to what takes place in the business world.

I asked Bob last night what would or was the motivation to drop 20k bux on a workshop, and he said...EXPERIENCE. And he cited Ben when he made the move to Whipple from the old building because he outgrew it. Because he saw the growth, he wanted to know the HOW.

When I worked at SCI they had over 700 full time employees and as many as a 1000 for the holidays. Humming along profits pouring in.

The TITANIC project was a huge hit, the NASCAR event, the COUNTRY MUSIC event were all new ideas while the jewelry biz continued to grow as did the collectibles division. Heady times for many indeed.

When I had my golf shop, many of my students were country club members and there was a lot of money, and advice which had to be taken with grains of salt, especially when LUCK was as much a factor as expertise.

But it is the EXPERTISE OF SUCCESS which people want, and if you pick the right target market will pay some pretty big coin to get.

IF one has systems or methods which can be duplicated, systems which can be applied to their businesses and which have success behind them.

Now not all the car collectors are wealthy guys, but some of them are, and it is good to get out and around MONEY, to rub shoulders with people who think that 25k for a workshop or seminar is a GREAT investment.

Some doctors will spend that to get in on the latest techniques or methods to keep people young, an EVERGREEN market, and they will get that 25 thousand dollar investment back very quickly.

So today, THINK BIGGER, look to the skies, hear the rumble and roar of success...there is a lot of money out there, and there are thousands of businesses on the cusp of ASTOUNDING growth, help them achieve it, you'll be glad you did.

Gordon

Last edited by GordonJ : May 28, 2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old May 28, 2019, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Default A PS...choosing people with money.

OK. Why do so many struggle with small businesses when offering services to them, when I just stated there is MONEY to be spent?

I think it is because of two things, the targets we choose, and the reason we choose those is a lack of confidence.

Take the CHALK BOARD PROFITS (or any selling of adverting to small businesses). A story heard over and over and over when one calls upon a business to offer advertising is LACK OF FUNDS.

Which is always a ready and handy excuse NOT to do anything.

The billboards in my area are never blank for very long. And they cost several thousand dollars for a month. A lot of Realtors with 7 to 10 pics of their agents, who each probably contribute to the expense.

And a lot of it comes down to attitude and understanding what you offer...those guys who think they are selling an ad to a business don't do well in any of these things.

The guys who offer HELP to a business which brings in more customers for them will thrive. All about ATTITUDE.

I know people and have talked to a few here, who won't call upon doctors or dentists or insurance companies, out of fear of rejection.

And others thriving by ONLY calling on the businesses with the money to invest.

When we ran the TITANIC ads, or sent out the LEGENDS OF COUNTRY MUSIC we were offering, at that time, a pretty high end exclusive EVENT. The ads were targeted, and then refined, and even those NON attendees, were given a chance to participate, via a trinket or two, like a lump of coal, or a CD.

But the LISTS mailed to were lists of people with the money to spend.

I see so many people struggle with their IM, because they choose a poor market, trying to sell to people who don't have much money to begin with, when it is much easier to BEGIN from a point of choosing your targets who can afford what you offer.

With the CHALK BOARD program, four ads will give you $1,000.00 PROFIT and this goes (or should go) without saying, TAXES are always your responsibility and are never figured into sales figures.

But, here is a simple test. If you are out and about, look for billboards in your area, and note who is spending money on them, and get the local mail, weekly flyers, coupon mags etc. to identify BUSINESSES with money to advertise.

I'll give you an example from my past, GOLF CLUBS, I would have a set of custom made golf clubs made for my students, for about 1200 bux. Or twice the price of a good set they could buy at the pro shop. Were my clubs any better? I thought so, cause each one was measured and made to match the swings.

Surprisingly, I had too many orders, it was a couple of month process...so I adapted my approach to making CUSTOMIZED specialty clubs, drivers, putters, wedges. Much quicker to do with a short turn around.

But I had the TARGET market, people with the money to spend.

CHOOSE people with the money to spend, on whatever business you are in and your bottom line will astound you too.

Gordon