SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old April 13, 2019, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Default 7 Laws of NO Einstein Success.

Seriously, smart people are often the most difficult to work with. They get in their own way. Too smart for their own good. Not all, of course, but smart people and educated people tend to OVER THINK things, when it comes to starting a business or making money online.

Since I practice the arts and crafts of the dim witted, and have seen more than one DUMMY, Idiot or stupidO have mucho success, here are the LAWS of the Ain't no Einsteins. Maybe they will resonate?

1) You don't get paid for doing nothing, and all too often, THINKING is nothing.

2) DO. Something. Quickly. TRY and find something out.

3) To reach success, you have to define it for yourself.

4) If it isn't working TRY another way. Then another, then if it still isn't working, go back to the drawing board, something is wrong.

5) Lists are NOT plans. Plans have goals, a beginning and an end.

6) You are unique, quit trying to fit into someone's off the rack solution.

7) What is, may be IS. But it doesn't have to be.

Well these are the first 7. Probably more, I do have 10 fingers, so there is room for a few more anyhow.

Sure, I'm big on plans, BUT, if that is what you do, and DO and keep doing for months and even years...you are using your plans to avoid finding out if you can do it or not. Quit stalling.

OH, and tomorrow ain't promised to anyone. Get busy living, or stay busy dying a slow death of unfulfilled potential. .

GordonJ

PS. I wonder why smart people do so much self sabotage, any ideas?
Old April 14, 2019, 05:11 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Self-sabotage...

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for the 7 Laws of NO Einstein Success... Very valuable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
PS. I wonder why smart people do so much self sabotage, any ideas?
Talking about self-sabotage... Did you know a thief broke into an Escape Room business... Then couldn't get out? He had to call 911...!

Burglar breaks into “escape room” business, panics, and calls 911

I think one problem (with business paralysis) is too many choices...

I think of it this way. Let's say you want to buy an ice-cream cone, and you can have 2 flavors.

If there are half-a-dozen flavors available, most people have no problem. My "go to" flavors are usually mint and chocolate!

But... what if now, there are 1000 ice-cream flavors to choose from, and you have to choose 2!

Many would suffer from "paralysis"... Should I have the swirly-mint marshmallow blue heaven, or the polar bear coconut with blueberry chips, or one of the other 998 flavors?

I think that's the problem... It can be hard to choose, when you see a lot of opportunities...

But, I still feel it is better to see many opportunities, as you're also more likely to find one that will fit you well...

I went to a birthday party today, and was chatting to a friend of mine who I've known for a few years. I only found out today she used to be a lawyer! But... she hated it. It wasn't for her. It just shows, money isn't everything... Life happiness and satisfaction is important too.

Although she earns much less money now, she told me she's much happier now than when she was a lawyer... (She does a number of things now, one of them is she gives yoga classes.)

Best wishes!

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : April 14, 2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old April 15, 2019, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Self-sabotage... and the SQ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

Thank you for the 7 Laws of NO Einstein Success... Very valuable!

I think one problem (with business paralysis) is too many choices...

I think of it this way. Let's say you want to buy an ice-cream cone, and you can have 2 flavors.

If there are half-a-dozen flavors available, most people have no problem. My "go to" flavors are usually mint and chocolate!

But... what if now, there are 1000 ice-cream flavors to choose from, and you have to choose 2!

Many would suffer from "paralysis"... Should I have the swirly-mint marshmallow blue heaven, or the polar bear coconut with blueberry chips, or one of the other 998 flavors?

I think that's the problem... It can be hard to choose, when you see a lot of opportunities...

But, I still feel it is better to see many opportunities, as you're also more likely to find one that will fit you well...

I went to a birthday party today, and was chatting to a friend of mine who I've known for a few years. I only found out today she used to be a lawyer! But... she hated it. It wasn't for her. It just shows, money isn't everything... Life happiness and satisfaction is important too.

Although she earns much less money now, she told me she's much happier now than when she was a lawyer... (She does a number of things now, one of them is she gives yoga classes.)

Best wishes!

Dien

Thanks Dien, a couple of points. What we see in all too many success stories is, one thing, FIRST. Even when serial Entrepreneurs like Richard Branson, Elon Musk or Mark Cuban types get started, they FOCUS on a foundation which allows them to "taste all the flavors" they desire, ONCE they have a base.

But the Serial Entrepreneurs is a mold that most of us are not cast from. Maybe on smaller scales, perhaps. I agree, the choices can be overwhelming, which I addressed in Before You Buy Anything, and stated the biggest opportunity was to waste a lot of time.

I may be wrong, but those who struggle with choosing their primary money making or income vehicle, have something to fall back on, anything from an advanced degree to a monthly trust fund, or even a disability check.

They may not need income from work, or they can easily get work.

For the majority of our visitors and those who visit other business and Internet Marketing forums and websites, are seeking their thing...which becomes their foundation.

So, let me be a bit more targeted, for those who have spent 2 years of floundering and haven't established a baseline income from something...maybe making a choice and staying with it, like many of our fathers did, chose to take a job and work and kept it something separate.

Which brings up the other point, doing what you like to do vs. the MONEY.

Dien is one of the few people who have gone completely through the SQ1 and probably has a good understanding of it.

I like to think of it as a five lane highway, or a five ring circus. Some of you have made it 7, 9 even 14 different parts of life...it doesn't matter, five is simple enough and covers it all.

Let me use circus. There are lots of things going on in a five ring circus, so we get sensory overwhelmed with people flying through the air, clowns juggling, elephants and monkeys and popcorn and peanuts to munch on.

All of us have busy lives. And certainly there are things other than money to concern ourselves with.

The SQ1 has the five rings, or lanes.

Spiritual.
Mental.
Relationships.
Environment.
Financial.

And we usually start with financial, and making money as the introduction to the SQ1 too, simply because it is the easiest to understand.

http://www.sowpub.com/sq1/lesson2a.php

We begin with the financial pictogrigm, AND right away we see there are many choices and options, different ways to acquire money.

But it is only ONE of the five rings of life.

And I and the SQ1 have always advocated for balance, AND to live in awareness of all the paths.

Sure, there are a lot of choices and options, and that certainly is one of the debilitating factors when we see smart men in the poor house or struggling while having so much stored value potential.

The reason why I'm so UP on NO EINSTEIN is it serves as a wake up call, a kick in the butt, a slap upside the head... for those who may need it.

And they know who they are.

I get a lot of requests which I mostly turn down, when it comes to selling my time for money...honestly, they can't afford me. But I freely give away my time, when I WANT TO, WHEN IT IS MY CHOICE, to help someone out.

But even then, I'd say the majority of them get bogged down early on, and I never hear from them again, or down the road a year, two or three later...

and I ask what the PLAN IS.

And it is, often as not, over thought, long winded, and convoluted but everyone is free to pursue whatever they want.

Just as I am free to say NO to those who would waste my time.

If anyone wants to do something, DO IT.

The story hasn't changed in 20 years, and

this piece I wrote back in 1997 originally, still gives you PLAN you need:

http://sowpub.com/story-future.shtml
Old April 18, 2019, 11:55 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default The richness of the SQ1 workshops...

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for talking about the Square One Workshops!

I love the SQ1... it is so rich. Once you start looking at it, in reality each element can in itself be the start of an incredible journey of discovery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
The SQ1 has the five rings, or lanes.

Spiritual.
Mental.
Relationships.
Environment.
Financial.

And we usually start with financial, and making money as the introduction to the SQ1 too, simply because it is the easiest to understand.

http://www.sowpub.com/sq1/lesson2a.php

We begin with the financial pictogrigm, AND right away we see there are many choices and options, different ways to acquire money.
I feel it may be time for me to go through the SQ1 again... as it's been a while. It's a wonderful experience...

Thanks again...

Best wishes,

Dien
Old April 18, 2019, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Default Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon,

Thank you for talking about the Square One Workshops!

I love the SQ1... it is so rich. Once you start looking at it, in reality each element can in itself be the start of an incredible journey of discovery...

I feel it may be time for me to go through the SQ1 again... as it's been a while. It's a wonderful experience...

Thanks again...

Best wishes,

Dien

I've made some recent discoveries, mostly from unknown works by Frank Rudolph Young, one of my favs. And I want to incorporate these into the SQ1, so I think an update, revision, and possibly a commercial version might be forthcoming.

Since I considered them a gift, I have never charged for them, but, with these newer additions, and a revisit...maybe the time is right to give them the attention they deserve...and how odd it is, that we place no value or little value on gifts, and do like to hold onto the things we've SPENT MONEY on,

just take a look at your (all of ours) bookshelf. Yes, treasures of the past, once read, seldom acted upon.

I think if I charged a thousand bux, the SQ1 would get insanely popular.

Thanks Dien,

I need to get back into them too.

GJ