SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old January 15, 2007, 08:31 PM
Jason Hatchett

Default Constructive Criticism for My Flyer

Greetings,

I haven’t posted in a while. My wife and I bought a friends business. Final Touch Automotive Paint Chip Repair. It goes with my interior business and he sold it to us for a song, because he wanted to move to another state. It was established for 12 years with some very good dealerships, so we jumped on it. My wife is doing all the work while I’m doing the interiors.

She’s only working 3 days a week and pulling in $1500 to $2000 a week. Now that she’s got the hang of it (and she’s very good) she wants to expand and get other dealers.

The problem is it’s very competitive. She does very good work and she keep her price on the highest end of the market.

I would like to get some constructive criticism about the flyer were going to use and help finding our USP. Here’s the flyer.
http://hstrial-jhatchett.homestead.c...ouchflyer.html

Thank You for Your Input,
Jason Hatchett
http://www.GuaranteedReferrals.com
Old January 15, 2007, 09:20 PM
Ravedesigns

Default Re: Constructive Criticism for My Flyer

Jason,

Like Jim mentioned you really do need a good headline, and you could also benefit by including some testimonials and some kind of call to action. That's nice that you tell them what you do and list your phone number, but how about making them an offer like "Call us in the next 15 days for a FREE service worth $$$$$"

If you're working in a competitive market and want to charge premium services you'll really have to work hard to provide a permium level of service and develop some great relationships with these folks.

In any case, $500 a day 3 days a week is great money and I wish you much success with this!

Steve
Old January 15, 2007, 09:27 PM
Pete Egeler

Jason,

First off, it's a great looking flyer! BUT... ( ) You are able to do so much more than what your flyer indicates.

If you could just figure out a way to put it ALL in there without making it look like a bunch of clutter, I would think it would serve you better.

Maybe instead of a flyer, you could convert your handout into a tri-fold handout instead.

At any rate, it's a very good piece, and I wish you and the Mrs. nothing but the very best. 2007 WILL be your year!

Pete
Old January 15, 2007, 09:51 PM
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Hatchett View Post
Greetings,

I haven’t posted in a while. My wife and I bought a friends business. Final Touch Automotive Paint Chip Repair. It goes with my interior business and he sold it to us for a song, because he wanted to move to another state. It was established for 12 years with some very good dealerships, so we jumped on it. My wife is doing all the work while I’m doing the interiors.

She’s only working 3 days a week and pulling in $1500 to $2000 a week. Now that she’s got the hang of it (and she’s very good) she wants to expand and get other dealers.

The problem is it’s very competitive. She does very good work and she keep her price on the highest end of the market.

I would like to get some constructive criticism about the flyer were going to use and help finding our USP. Here’s the flyer.

Jason Hatchett

You mention that it is very competitive, yet she is able to keep her prices high.
I would assume that this is because of quality.
if she is producing quality work, I would simply show up at the dealer with referrals in hand and tell them a price and give them one right then and there for free.
Have them compare it to their current companies work.
show them the other services that you will also perform while there and provided you can justify your price they will switch to you unless they are under some sort of contract with the other company or it is the other company is related or has built a relationship with the dealer that you have not.

I agree with the others about the headline.
The only other thing I would say is that the flyer makes your eyes wander to much as it is to busy.

I would also include a date and time that you will be there to allow them to claim their free service.
Something like,
" I will stop by at 3:00 p.m. on Tuesday Jan. 23 rd 2007 to perform the FREE service on the vehicle of your choice"

Then obviously show up on time or sooner!

This doesn't allow them to to decide if they want you or not, it says I'll be there anyway for you to collect you FREE service.
They will have a car ready or tell you to get lost!

Either way, they will know that you are prompt, which is most likely more than they can say about the other company.
Best wishes,
Jason
Old January 15, 2007, 10:54 PM
SteveSki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Hatchett View Post

Jason Hatchett

Hi Jason, Congratulations on your well deserved success!
You and your wife are both real doers. As you know good
ideas are a dime a dozen but the man or women who acts
on them is priceless!

I too would test different headlines until I maximized results.

A quick suggestion....

MAKE YOUR CAR LOOK BRAND NEW!
We Remove Dents, Dings, Scratches & Repair
Windscreen Chips and Cracks!

TODAY ONLY - FREE DEMO ON YOUR CAR FOR THE FIRST 3 CALLERS

Maybe also incorporate Don's Idea of using a Voice Mail Box with a 24 Hour Recorded Message and a Free Report!

Cheers,
Steve Shulenski
www.MoneyMakingPhotography.com
Old January 15, 2007, 11:54 PM
Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSki View Post
Hi Jason, Congratulations on your well deserved success!
You and your wife are both real doers. As you know good
ideas are a dime a dozen but the man or women who acts
on them is priceless!

I too would test different headlines until I maximized results.

A quick suggestion....

MAKE YOUR CAR LOOK BRAND NEW!
We Remove Dents, Dings, Scratches & Repair
Windscreen Chips and Cracks!

TODAY ONLY - FREE DEMO ON YOUR CAR FOR THE FIRST 3 CALLERS

Maybe also incorporate Don's Idea of using a Voice Mail Box with a 24 Hour Recorded Message and a Free Report!

Cheers,
Steve Shulenski
www.MoneyMakingPhotography.com

That would be great Steve except that he is looking for more dealer accounts.

The idea of using the voice box is a good bit, however in a competitive (buyers) market, you don't want them to have to jump through more hoops than they need to.
When I was detailing vehicles, I would just goto the dealer and offer my service.
The key was offer something that the others did not, which varied from simply beng punctual to also cleaning their restrooms ( another service that I ran at the time.

Jason it seems that you have other services to offer the dealership.
I really would simply send them a card with a date and time that YOU WILL BE THERE and then be there.
Simply being there on time would win you many accounts if you were in my area.
Jason
Old January 16, 2007, 12:58 PM
-TW

Default Headline idea...

"How much money is your dealership LOSING because some cars are chipped, scratched or faded?"

...Announcing new 'miracle cure' you can use, FREE!

Then describe a (just ONE) SPECIFIC free trial offer, along with an explatation of WHY you're making this introducory offer (maybe saying how confident you are they'll love it and keep using it. Maybe mentioning that you're 'new in town.'

Can you sueeze in a testimonial from some (or one) of the clients you already heve?

Also, I'd stress that the before/after pix are UNRETOUCHED.

Cheers!

-- TW
Old January 17, 2007, 03:37 AM
Kbayer

Wow... looks like you guys are one the way! Have you also considered residential -- I think the fliers would kikk-butt in that aspect as well, but could be costly, but worth testing, right? Say, a thousand fliers in a nice neighborhood at 3% response would be "?"....
After a bit more "success" and streamlining, once you get it all down to a semi-science, you could create a video of what you do and sell it on Ebay or your own website or other dealers for $500-$2,000 a pop. Opp seekers and serious auto enthusiasts go bonkers over info like that....
We had a guy come by our house, going door-to-door, offering to fix our car's dents and dings in the driveway, $200 on the spot. We declined, but saw him successflully working on at least 5 other houses on the street by the end of the day.... he really had a great system in place and was apparently cleaning up! God bless all that you do...
Old January 27, 2007, 10:59 PM
shudek

Default Testimonials and Call to Action

Hi Jason,

I think you are offering a terrific service. But, what makes you different than anyone else offering the same (or similar) service? What's your USP (unique selling proposition)?

Testimonials are essential - to give credibility to your claims, from real customers. Also, a call to action - call us, email us, visit us, etc. - is mandatory. If you don't ask for the sale, they won't give it to you.

Hope that helps.

Steve
Old January 30, 2007, 12:48 PM
Rod Carr

Jason,

Here's an article from David Frey that could be helpful.

Very simple strategy and a great flyer!

Referral Strategy:
http://www.marketingbestpractices.co...al-program.htm

Car Wash Flyer
http://www.marketingbestpractices.com/temp/car_spa.pdf

Cheers,

Rod