SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old June 22, 2019, 10:57 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Harvey Brody's higher gears...

I recently mentioned Harvey Brody's concept of 3rd and 4th gears here...

(Most people operate their businesses in 1st or 2nd gear - and have a lot of headaches as a result!)

This is a very critical concept for you to understand, if you want to operate your business in an easy, low-stress, yet still very profitable manner...

I wrote a very short (one page) report on this. It's just something I put together quickly - it's the information that's critical...

I've attached it to this post!

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. This very basic web site will be further developed - http://www.tollpositionmarketing.com
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Third and Fourth gears.pdf (38.3 KB, 21 views)
Old June 23, 2019, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Default Sometimes, one has to start in first gear...BUT, they can shift quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
I recently mentioned Harvey Brody's concept of 3rd and 4th gears here...

(Most people operate their businesses in 1st or 2nd gear - and have a lot of headaches as a result!)

This is a very critical concept for you to understand, if you want to operate your business in an easy, low-stress, yet still very profitable manner...

I wrote a very short (one page) report on this. It's just something I put together quickly - it's the information that's critical...

I've attached it to this post!

Best wishes,

Dien

P.S. This very basic web site will be further developed - http://www.tollpositionmarketing.com

I rec'd the Toll Position Course around the time I had started the OFF KEY SINGING TELEGRAM SERVICE. Which was very much a first gear biz. When it took off, I hired some help, then after a TV appearance, I had to quickly get into 3rd gear, via outsourcing but never made it to 4th, because I sold it off.

But, it had higher gear potential. Learning from that, when I started the Golf Shop, I started with a VIEW FROM THE ROOFTOP, and the idea was franchising and/or licensing of PROPRIETARY golf instruction. (Still nothing like it).

The big BUT here, was the partnership. And anyone who has been through one that ended, even if mutually amicable, feels a bit different about them going forward. Harvey Brody would say work only with #1's...but that is for a different day to discuss.

Not quite a decade ago, Harvey revealed the highest gear I had heard of, next to ownership of a toll, which was to have the toll gate on a bridge that specific professionals had to cross if they wanted to get to the other side.

We've danced around these concepts for some time, however, there may be an opportunity for some of you that have an interest in learning more and more about those concepts and other higher gear activities.

We will keep you posted as this develops.

Exciting days.

Gordon
Old June 26, 2019, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Harvey Brody's higher gears...

The higher gears is perfect for this time in my life.

I've been working on a concept that will allow anyone with a modest investment to be able to live a self-sustaining lifestyle in a home that provides for itself, so to speak. All of this without having to live like a scratch farmer in a shack over the hill.

All the creature comforts, all the bells and whistles, with independence.

On a completely different note... because of all the expert researchers here:

(Gordon, if this is not the place to ask, please delete)

I have been trying to find out ANY information on a "Belly landing" incident I was in the fall of 1961. It was a flight from Springfield MO to Kansas City MO. I think it might have been Sept. 13 or 14th. I have called folks, researched online, and found no record of this. Can anyone give me a tip to find out if there is a record of this?
Old June 26, 2019, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Default Don't know if this is 7th, 8th or 9th gear, however...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
The higher gears is perfect for this time in my life.

I've been working on a concept that will allow anyone with a modest investment to be able to live a self-sustaining lifestyle in a home that provides for itself, so to speak. All of this without having to live like a scratch farmer in a shack over the hill.

All the creature comforts, all the bells and whistles, with independence.

On a completely different note... because of all the expert researchers here:

(Gordon, if this is not the place to ask, please delete)

I have been trying to find out ANY information on a "Belly landing" incident I was in the fall of 1961. It was a flight from Springfield MO to Kansas City MO. I think it might have been Sept. 13 or 14th. I have called folks, researched online, and found no record of this. Can anyone give me a tip to find out if there is a record of this?

OK. Consider this advanced gear for YOUR project.

Be the ONLY source of training, and with a built in ongoing piece of the action of any suppliers.

I use golf, but think bldg materials, whatever is needed for your project.

I have a new type of golf swing, which is more suited to 80% of all golfers than the PGA model golf swing, which is pert near impossible to master.

I could LICENSE this J-Swing to other instructors, give them training and then charge an ongoing fee, as well as offering J-Swing supplies for them to profit from. When you get closer to your thing, let me know, I'll give you a better example, an actual working model of this very high gear operation.

I visited a Dome just outside of Ashville, NC, one of the first by Bucky Fuller, who was a frequent visitor to that area. A lot of people there, all across the USA would have an interest in what you have.

Say, you set up a working model in MO, somewhere, from which you could teach and train MASTER DISTRIBUTORS, who would then take it back to their areas, like me in Northeast Ohio, and we could control the sellers, builders and suppliers needed to complete the mission, each piece of the pie getting a slice for Millard, SEE? Sorry to be so cryptic, but this advanced gear was shared in private, and I don't want to reveal those details.

But I have seen several variations of this 9th gear operation, which really gets things going fast.

Gordon

PS. In case you didn't see it, you want to learn about CAB archives, they would have been the ones to file the incident in KC, MO, back in 1961.
Old June 26, 2019, 12:29 PM

Thanks !

I am very close, getting things in order.

Is the CAB the civil aeronautics board?

I called NTSB and they only have archives to 1962. Checked the newspapers and caught a glimpse of a paper, which gave me the date (I think). The dates are estimates simply because I was in elementary school at the time and wasn't thinking about that, just caught up in all the excitement, firemen, rain, etc., etc., etc.
Old June 26, 2019, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millard Grubb View Post
Thanks !

I am very close, getting things in order.

Is the CAB the civil aeronautics board?

I called NTSB and they only have archives to 1962. Checked the newspapers and caught a glimpse of a paper, which gave me the date (I think). The dates are estimates simply because I was in elementary school at the time and wasn't thinking about that, just caught up in all the excitement, firemen, rain, etc., etc., etc.
Yes, the Civil Aeronautics Board, their archives are on microfiche. If you have time, you can do a search, or they have "researchers" if you want to pay.

Local newspapers, probably also on microfiche back then, or actual papers, might serve you better.

It will probably be harder to find than the truth about Element 115, HA!

1961, was during the time the UFO's were shooting planes out of the sky routinely...or so THEY say.

G.
Old July 3, 2019, 03:25 PM

Dien,

As soon as I relocated to begin working with Harvey, he placed me into the position of "translating" his written materials to those students who called in by telephone with consultation questions. Man, there was a lot of them!

Your comments regarding "gears" of operation reminds me of a major source of difficulties I sometimes had with many students. Many of them seemed to have an excessive personal attachment to their created products. So, when I talked with them as to what their marketing plans for their products were, oftentimes, a solid brick wall would appear. They became overly protective, often to a fault.

That was a struggle because everything became "personal" to them. All in all, for some individuals, they were never able to separate themselves from the product and its potential. Just that reality alone blocked some very nice products from ever reaching their markets.

The volume of "distressed" products exist not only because of legitimate technical or financial problems, missteps or poor planning - but many are problems of the "self-induced" kind.

Here is one such example that I documented so that I would never forget it:
https://sdkhunter.com/what-is-garbag...nch-to-others/

Enjoy!
Old July 3, 2019, 06:29 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default Some people's thought processes don't make sense... which means opportunity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKHunter View Post
Dien,

As soon as I relocated to begin working with Harvey, he placed me into the position of "translating" his written materials to those students who called in by telephone with consultation questions. Man, there was a lot of them!

Your comments regarding "gears" of operation reminds me of a major source of difficulties I sometimes had with many students. Many of them seemed to have an excessive personal attachment to their created products. So, when I talked with them as to what their marketing plans for their products were, oftentimes, a solid brick wall would appear. They became overly protective, often to a fault.

That was a struggle because everything became "personal" to them. All in all, for some individuals, they were never able to separate themselves from the product and its potential. Just that reality alone blocked some very nice products from ever reaching their markets.

The volume of "distressed" products exist not only because of legitimate technical or financial problems, missteps or poor planning - but many are problems of the "self-induced" kind.

Here is one such example that I documented so that I would never forget it:
https://sdkhunter.com/what-is-garbag...nch-to-others/

Enjoy!
Hi Sherman,

Wow, thanks for sharing that!

I loved the fishing lure story (in your link)... When you do know something about marketing, it's kind of amazing what kinds of things people come up with!

By the way, here's a quick story of mine...

I had agreed to help a friend of a friend with his product (let's call the inventor Mike, not his real name). He was (and is) a professional carpenter, and had invented a product which helped you to saw (using a circular saw) in a straight line, at any angle to the edge. It was easy to use, safe, and better than anything out there (at the time)... People who bought it and used it, loved it.

Not only that, he had already patented it effectively "worldwide." (My friend who knows him is a patent attorney, and did the patenting for him.)

The main issue was marketing...

This was in Australia (where I live). Here in Australia, there is a chain of stores called "Bunnings" - they are actually the Australian version of Home Depot (and are not part of Home Depot, but they are modeled after them).

He had already produced one production run in China, and had sold it through demonstrations at various trade shows.

He wanted to get it into Bunnings. He had had a meeting with Bunnings... The standard sales contract was they'd pay you a certain amount of time after they stocked your item.

Mike wanted to do it differently. He wanted them to pay him a few months up front, before they even received the stock! That way, he could use the money to pay for the manufacturing! Then deliver the stock to them a few months afterwards.

Not surprisingly (to me), Bunnings had no interest in doing it this way...

He couldn't seem to get his head around it. He said they'd make money. So he was not flexible at all. Bunnings had to pay for his item months in advance of stocking it - so their money could be used for manufacturing! He would accept nothing else!

I explained to him, this means Bunnings is taking the risk. What if the manufacturing is faulty? You could go bankrupt, and Bunnings loses money. Of course, Bunnings would not be interested in taking that risk.

But... I couldn't budge him. He wanted it to do it his way, or the highway!

We eventually parted ways, but for a different reason. (We had agreed on a percentage fee to me if I marketed it successfully, but I noticed in our initial meeting, he didn't write anything down. When we met again later, somehow his memory of my percentage fee had been cut in half. I decided to withdraw from the deal then and there... Partly because I felt that his changing my fee through a faulty memory was unprofessional, but I could also see the other problems too, based on his not wanting to do business the "standard" way, but "his way or the highway!")

Anyway, I think the patent will expire in just a few years now... (When I saw him, he had already had the patent for several years.) The closer the patent is to expiry, the lower its value...

Since our association ended, I know he tried to raise around $80,000 to fund manufacturing, through a Kickstarter campaign (but only raised about 10% of what he wanted, so it was not successful).

What he should have done (and which I recommended) was to either borrow the money, or to get investors to fund it - then, do the deal with Bunnings the standard way they do it, and get it in their stores. However, he was unwilling to do either. He didn't want to get investors, because he didn't want to give too much equity away. My thoughts are, it's better to own (say) 51% of something that's worth a lot, than 100% of something that's worth zero...

Anyway, I couldn't understand his thought processes either!

What I loved about your post and the article you linked to, Sherman, is you clearly explain why these opportunities exist. When you approach such people, you are helping them to do something they can't do themselves. So, it's truly a 100% ethical, win/win situation!

Best wishes,

Dien

Last edited by Dien Rice : July 3, 2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old July 3, 2019, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Some people's thought processes don't make sense... which means opportunity!

Thanks Dien,

Your example reinforces all that you and Gordon have been sharing with members over the years.

Examples like this from actual experiences can make all the difference in helping entrepreneurs to fully accept the power of Harvey's strategy.

I was always amazed at the many "roadblock beliefs" that students often offered as their excuses for not openly accepting the potential and reality of the strategy.

Once students accepted the reality that there will always be "opportunities", I would next try to focus their minds on easy and practical ways by which they could take their next step with the strategy. For me personally, I was always sensitive to how a student would respond once they finally knew that they would never be able to exhaust the supply of "opportunities" all around them.

This important breakthrough would cause some of them to relax a lot and to become much more cerebral than before. They focused much better and became very deliberate in their approach. I loved to see that kind of reaction.

But. in contrast, other students would react much like our American history describes people acting when they learned that gold had been discovered nearby. Those students often became very energetic and started to create shortcuts to the strategy. Eventually, some of them would also settle down.

In one of my later books I used a printed step-by-step flowchart to help keep students on track. These same type of experiences kept occurring so that eventually, I began wanting to someday use a software system to help them to behave more like Harvey wanted them to do.

Thanks for sharing, Dien.
Old July 5, 2019, 10:48 PM
Onwards and upwards!

Default "Roadblock beliefs" holding people back are very common!

Hi Sherman,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKHunter View Post
I was always amazed at the many "roadblock beliefs" that students often offered as their excuses for not openly accepting the potential and reality of the strategy.

Once students accepted the reality that there will always be "opportunities", I would next try to focus their minds on easy and practical ways by which they could take their next step with the strategy. For me personally, I was always sensitive to how a student would respond once they finally knew that they would never be able to exhaust the supply of "opportunities" all around them.

This important breakthrough would cause some of them to relax a lot and to become much more cerebral than before. They focused much better and became very deliberate in their approach. I loved to see that kind of reaction.

But. in contrast, other students would react much like our American history describes people acting when they learned that gold had been discovered nearby. Those students often became very energetic and started to create shortcuts to the strategy. Eventually, some of them would also settle down.

In one of my later books I used a printed step-by-step flowchart to help keep students on track. These same type of experiences kept occurring so that eventually, I began wanting to someday use a software system to help them to behave more like Harvey wanted them to do.
Sherman, you're right, there are a lot of "roadblock beliefs" that hold people back...

It would be great (one day) to come up with a list the most common of these! (If it hasn't been done already...)

By the way, I'm also very interested in the other books and courses you created... (At the moment, I only know about "The Concept" which you created with Harvey...)

Thanks, and best wishes!

Dien