SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old May 26, 2015, 07:27 AM
spyglass

Default Re: The BRODY and Cossman Virtual Co. SECRET is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
From the Cossman obit...

"I've had 20 big winners in my lifetime -- ones I've sold 1 million or more of.

I only created two," he told the San Diego Business Journal in 1989.

The two inventions were the ant farm and a fishing lure that smelled like meat.

For the things he didn't invent, he said, "I contacted the manufacturers and got exclusive rights in writing. Then I'd market it as if it were my own product."

There you go.

Gordon

I think there may be a few, just a few more moving parts in both of their models Gordon.

Although getting exclusive marketing rights to sell in other markets is certainly a core technique both Cossman and Brody uses as a foundation of their overall process, strategies, etc.

Not sure if is just a natural move or something indoctrinated in our business communities through university level taught business models, but it seems most businesses works on vertical growth, bringing more products and or services to sell to increase revenue and market share. When growing horizontally, selling fewer products and or services over a wider territory is many times ignored and actually a better solution to growth.

I recently listened to a lecture on targeting primarily horizontal growth over vertical growth and the benefits of going this route. One benefit is you are not always pulling your hair out always on the hunt for another product that meets you profit model because you are selling more with less by instead expanding your sales reach with fewer products.
Old May 26, 2015, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Default Maybe not.

Moving parts, like what?

Just my opinion here, but too many people over complicate things...

and MOST businesses I've been exposed to consider BOTH vertical and horizontal growth, and finding wider territory could be just as time consuming as finding more products.

ALL businesses have moving parts and the successful Entrepreneur is expected to know what they are.

I know Harvey Brody has worked with many people, some, like Jay Abraham, took that basic "secret" (from Joe Cossman) and ran with it...and it is safe to say Jay is one of his more successful students.

You'll find a lot of Cossman/Brody technique in what Jay teaches.

A study in contrast of style and methods between Harvey's student, Gary Halbert and Harvey himself shows...

ONE, Sir Gary was a roller coaster ride of feast and famine, bringing in big bux quickly and losing it quicker yet many embrace Gary's FIRE, aim, ready process and his action over meditation mantra...

vs... TWO, Harvey Brody's 60 years of continuous success and not pulling the trigger on a project until it has been fully fleshed out in great detail.

Neither is better than the other, it is whatever suits you, but considering Gary died broke and in debt while Harvey will leave a legacy of success that now his grandchildren are building off of,

It would appear Harvey's way may be better SUITED for most.

Gordon

PS. Let's examine what those moving parts are, maybe we can build a little template, or at the very least, a TOLL Position INFOGRAPHIC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyglass View Post
I think there may be a few, just a few more moving parts in both of their models Gordon.

Although getting exclusive marketing rights to sell in other markets is certainly a core technique both Cossman and Brody uses as a foundation of their overall process, strategies, etc.

Not sure if is just a natural move or something indoctrinated in our business communities through university level taught business models, but it seems most businesses works on vertical growth, bringing more products and or services to sell to increase revenue and market share. When growing horizontally, selling fewer products and or services over a wider territory is many times ignored and actually a better solution to growth.

I recently listened to a lecture on targeting primarily horizontal growth over vertical growth and the benefits of going this route. One benefit is you are not always pulling your hair out always on the hunt for another product that meets you profit model because you are selling more with less by instead expanding your sales reach with fewer products.

Last edited by GordonJ : May 26, 2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old May 26, 2015, 12:16 PM
Bob Blagg

Default Re: HARVEY BRODY - Long Lost Article On The King Of The VIRTUAL CORPORATION

Spyglass great article.

It made me think about my own search for a great Toll Position/Exclusive Rights and why more people are not following Mr. Brody's and Mr. Cossman's teachings.

But as Gordon told me a few years back, there are a lot of lookers and few "DOERS".

So if you truly want to find your own Toll Position/Exclusive Rights, go for it as you will have little if any competition except "ME"!

Mr. Cossman once said there are more products out there looking for people than there are people looking for products that is why he said to never pay for the exclusive rights to a product.
Old May 26, 2015, 01:18 PM
Administrator

Default I think Bob's product contains many of the "moving parts".

Good to see you Bob.

With endorsements from Joesph Sugarman and others, Bob's report contains many of the step by step procedures on finding products and securing the rights to market it.

If you are interested in finding products to market, I think Bob's course gives a good template to follow.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Blagg View Post
Spyglass great article.

It made me think about my own search for a great Toll Position/Exclusive Rights and why more people are not following Mr. Brody's and Mr. Cossman's teachings.

But as Gordon told me a few years back, there are a lot of lookers and few "DOERS".

So if you truly want to find your own Toll Position/Exclusive Rights, go for it as you will have little if any competition except "ME"!

Mr. Cossman once said there are more products out there looking for people than there are people looking for products that is why he said to never pay for the exclusive rights to a product.
Old May 27, 2015, 02:16 AM
Onwards and upwards!

Default What it's not...

Quote:
PS. Let's examine what those moving parts are, maybe we can build a little template, or at the very least, a TOLL Position INFOGRAPHIC.
Hi Gordon and everyone,

I think one thing which has to be kept in mind is that these are not "get rich quick" schemes...

I think - maybe subconsciously - many people are looking for schemes where, once they know the "secret," money will fall into their lap like magic...

(That's probably why "The Secret" was so popular! As that's more-or-less what it supposedly promised... I won't rant on about it now, but I believe there are many "flaws" in "The Secret"... which is why most of the "believers" in "The Secret" are pretty much the same as they were before they bought it...)

With any Brody or Cossman type of approach, you still have to build a business. Where it is different is your chance of succeeding is greatly increased, and your chance of failing is greatly decreased... Plus, when you succeed, you can succeed "bigger" than you would have otherwise.

But it's not a "get rich quick" scheme, and you're still building a business...!

It's also not necessarily "easy" to do... Not every "toll position" is a strong one (as "spyglass" pointed out with his early efforts), so it can take some "digging" to get those strong toll positions...

But is it worth the effort? One "strong" toll position can set you up for life...

I think I remember Gordon mentioning that Benjamin Suarez would have, on average, 1 successful product out of every 7 products he promoted (and he's made millions with that success rate)! I do believe the Brody or Cossman success rate is actually higher than that... But it's not "magic," and you still need to build a business.

Best wishes,

Dien
Old May 27, 2015, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Default You may be right Dien

You know, from talking with Harvey and his daughter, some of the finer details of his operation, but one thing is the TOLL POSITION concept can cover a wide range of products and services.

His original course had the bonus sections on Copyright, Trademarks, Patents, Formulas, Processes etc.

But any B2B has the following moving parts:

Contact, query, discussion, negotiation, agreement, legal, contract, fulfillment (distribution), performance, including penalty for non performance, payment, etc.

This is all SOP in B2B transactions.

In a couple of Harvey's situations, his consumers are retailers, so he only deals with a very manageable 100 or so customers, as opposed to, say, Ben Suarez who has 6 million customers (B2C).

One guy, like me too, looks for Intellectual Property (IP), and this eliminates the need for inventory, shipping and handling, which today can be easily outsourced.

And IP takes many shapes and forms from a song to a cartoon character to a comic book character, which are making fortunes for their owners.

As you say, these are BUSINESSES and they all have a common flow, from product development/acquisition to marketing and fulfillment and all stops in between.

Licensing is one form of a toll position, but it doesn't matter what one chooses to do, there is TIME involved, and the clock starts ticking when the Entrepreneur starts doing.

Bob Blagg started with conversations with Harvey and myself, and now he has a product endorsed by Joe Sugarman and others because he proceeded to take action one day, one step at a time, and it wasn't always easy.

Sort of like some guys who are NOW ready to chattel, and it will take them a year or two to build up profitable networks.

Whatever it is, it is going to take some time (or buy a lottery ticket and hope) to achieve proficiency in what you do.

Business, not a hobby.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon a

nd everyone,

I think one thing which has to be kept in mind is that these are not "get rich quick" schemes...

I think - maybe subconsciously - many people are looking for schemes where, once they know the "secret," money will fall into their lap like magic...

(That's probably why "The Secret" was so popular! As that's more-or-less what it supposedly promised... I won't rant on about it now, but I believe there are many "flaws" in "The Secret"... which is why most of the "believers" in "The Secret" are pretty much the same as they were before they bought it...)

With any Brody or Cossman type of approach, you still have to build a business. Where it is different is your chance of succeeding is greatly increased, and your chance of failing is greatly decreased... Plus, when you succeed, you can succeed "bigger" than you would have otherwise.

But it's not a "get rich quick" scheme, and you're still building a business...!

It's also not necessarily "easy" to do... Not every "toll position" is a strong one (as "spyglass" pointed out with his early efforts), so it can take some "digging" to get those strong toll positions...

But is it worth the effort? One "strong" toll position can set you up for life...

I think I remember Gordon mentioning that Benjamin Suarez would have, on average, 1 successful product out of every 7 products he promoted (and he's made millions with that success rate)! I do believe the Brody or Cossman success rate is actually higher than that... But it's not "magic," and you still need to build a business.

Best wishes,

Dien
Old May 27, 2015, 05:23 PM
spyglass

Default Re: What it's not...

Yeah, Dien, people looking for a magic gateway to vast riches without putting anything but casual work into the process to get it, is what fuels the Internet Marketing industry. Unfortunately, too many marketers takes disadvantage of this brain blip and comes out with one shiny half baked, unproven, untested, outright bogus make money system after the other for the lazy hopefuls to spring another $17 -$27-$37-$47 or more dollars on.

It appears most people looking to venture into a business online approaches it with the mind set of a hobbyist, not a serious entrepreneur in the making. I was guilty of this attitude for longer than I care to admit. Hence why they are constantly on the hunt for the elusive fairy dust business model that once set up, will pump out money in bushels daily with them barely having to pay attention to anything but their growing bank statement and World Of Warcraft ranking.

WSOs catering to these bound for frustration mindsets are all over the Warriors Forum with more coming daily. One WSO marketer sends me an alert to buy a "must have" this or that software or my success is in question. He does this two to four times weekly. He claims to have an offline business servicing clients, but a huge chunk of hid income as far as I am concerned from is pushing products on his list weekly just for the purpose of making money, not what is best for his list. If you have a solid evergreen model working for you, you hardly need to buy another marketing tool twice or more weekly. He gets this but doesn't give a crap if he can palm off some more stuff and make money. He is one of tons of other marketers with the same attitude.

Recently, after writing this post I decided to enter into a venture that is a simple age old model souped up for the 21st century. It is possible and part of my plan to build the model to what may be what Harvey refers to as a third gear position. Someone who has a solid business using this model for whatever reason(s) has placed himself in a second gear position and still makes an enviable income working two hours daily and then playing golf most week days. When profits allows, I plan to hire a competent project manager to handle the implementation day to day activities, moving myself to the third gear position, allowing me to concentrate on getting more business.

Harvey has likely built his model whereby he can have almost no involvement, in a say 4th or 5th gear position. No idea how to get to these gears yet, but I will be happy with being in third gear, involved about six to twelve hours weekly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dien Rice View Post
Hi Gordon and everyone,

Best wishes,

Dien
Old May 28, 2015, 10:57 AM
spyglass

Gordon, I have taken a look see at Bob's offer and it seems the most faithful and 21st Century updated template and tutorial of Harvey's model. At least as far as the Toll Position part of his model is concerned. Bobs offer of a bonus one on one session, besides other bonuses adds a lot of value since he is obviously very schooled in the Toll Position model.

I am always concerned about the cost of getting legal agreements drawn up by an attorney competent in the area of law regarding my project. Seems Bob has considered this expensive step by providing boilerplate legal documents as guides for one's attorney to follow if you decided to consult an attorney regarding the documents. This alone will save thousands in getting these docs done from scratch by an attorney.

The quality and notability of some of the persons offering their review of his course, such as you noted, Joseph "Blue Blocker" Sugarman lends to its credibility.

Indeed my search may be over.

Quote:
Good to see you Bob.

With endorsements from Joesph Sugarman and others, Bob's report contains many of the step by step procedures on finding products and securing the rights to market it.

If you are interested in finding products to market, I think Bob's course gives a good template to follow.

Gordon

Last edited by GordonJ : May 28, 2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old May 28, 2015, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Default A word on lawyers...

I share Robert Ringer's idea, make the hand shake deal BEFORE you bring in lawyers.

spyglass, read as many contracts and agreements as you can, then use the simplest template you can and try to get a "handshake" deal before it goes to legal.

Here is one very specific Harvey Brody tip...which put over $50,000.00 in my pocket over a 9 month period.

I had an idea which I ran past Harvey, I was hot to pull the trigger. Harvey calmed me down and made me do a step by step rung up the ladder to the step off rung and onto the roof top. It took me 6 weeks.

The step off rung was getting a signed deal and a check.

He cautioned me about certain words and phrases in the agreement he was sure I would get. And sure enough, they sent a contract after the owner gave it the green light, I sent it back with changes to the clause in question, and although his attorney fought hard to keep it in, the owner WANTED the deal and it was stricken.

I went from idea to 6k a month for about 4 hours a week of work and continued this for 9 months.

It seemed I had pulled a rabbit out of the hat. All of Harvey's plane metaphors (he was Air Force) paid off,

Again, his thinking is his secret, by the time he takes action, it is a done deal, all steps penciled out and the outcome known in great detail.

Then you just have to climb the rungs.

Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyglass View Post
Gordon, I have taken a look see at Bob's offer and it seems the most faithful and 21st Century updated template and tutorial of Harvey's model. At least as far as the Toll Position part of his model is concerned. Bobs offer of a bonus one on one session, besides other bonuses adds a lot of value since he is obviously very schooled in the Toll Position model.

I am always concerned about the cost of getting legal agreements drawn up by an attorney competent in the area of law regarding my project. Seems Bob has considered this expensive step by providing boilerplate legal documents as guides for one's attorney to follow if you decided to consult an attorney regarding the documents. This alone will save thousands in getting these docs done from scratch by an attorney.

The quality and notability of some of the persons offering their review of his course, such as you noted, Joseph "Blue Blocker" Sugarman lends to its credibility.

Indeed my search may be over.