SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old December 12, 2018, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Default This may or may not be of help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminS View Post
I got the green light to put up my board at the restaurant but he wasn't much for leads. I did get his insurance guys card but that's all he had. There were a few business cards there from people that do hair and lawn care so I'll get in touch with those people too. I'm at my main job until 7 pm so I'm not going to be able to start selling until tomorrow morning but so far so good. I have somewhere to put my board and am excited to get out there and sell some ads.

Mock up pics are easy to make. So, I like to put a little salesmanship into it.

When you call his insurance guy, you tell him he is the first choice, has the first right of refusal, and if he says no, then ask if he knows (name his competitor), it takes some confidence, but the right attitude is...(for me)

It doesn't matter to me who is on the board. If the Allstate guy says no, I'll go to Geico, or Farmers, or State Farm...and having MOCK UPS with these guys on them, often tips the scales.

You can easily create a mock up with colored pens, or even stock images from google. Imagine showing up with a pic of the board and having 3 insurance ads on it, including his, and telling him, well, of course ONLY one insurance guy gets on, but since you do business with the restaurant you get first chance to say no...and then, if he says no, ask for directions to his nearest competitor.

Gordon
Old December 15, 2018, 01:23 AM
BenjaminS

Default Re: This may or may not be of help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Mock up pics are easy to make. So, I like to put a little salesmanship into it.

When you call his insurance guy, you tell him he is the first choice, has the first right of refusal, and if he says no, then ask if he knows (name his competitor), it takes some confidence, but the right attitude is...(for me)

It doesn't matter to me who is on the board. If the Allstate guy says no, I'll go to Geico, or Farmers, or State Farm...and having MOCK UPS with these guys on them, often tips the scales.

You can easily create a mock up with colored pens, or even stock images from google. Imagine showing up with a pic of the board and having 3 insurance ads on it, including his, and telling him, well, of course ONLY one insurance guy gets on, but since you do business with the restaurant you get first chance to say no...and then, if he says no, ask for directions to his nearest competitor.

Gordon

Catching up with their insurance company hasn't happened yet, i'm not letting it slow me down though. I went and visited a couple auto repair shops and found someone willing to trade winterizing my car/ oil change and paying the difference for an ad. And then I found a phone repair shop that wants to pay quarterly. I think the biggest reason is to make sure they could change ads throughout the year and we agreed to $100 down, $85 every 3 months and $20 every time we change the ad.

I also believe I'll be able to help the phone repair company advertise on a few different boards based on our conversation and their service area.

Being able to get 2 spots filled without any referrals and the amount of time, I've invested has me excited to keep going. I definitely can see how with a few more referrals from a business and a few businesses that want to advertise on more than 1 board can lead to these being filled very quickly.

I printed out ads that were generic and they've been working so far, I put 3 on there and make it look like 1 is available. Even without there being a company name on there, I think people just assume they're real. They literally say like "abc insurance" or "abc auto" but when I go to target just a single type of business I will give your strategy a shot. Thanks for all of your advice.
Old December 15, 2018, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Default You are doing fantastic. Keep it going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminS View Post
Catching up with their insurance company hasn't happened yet, i'm not letting it slow me down though. I went and visited a couple auto repair shops and found someone willing to trade winterizing my car/ oil change and paying the difference for an ad. And then I found a phone repair shop that wants to pay quarterly. I think the biggest reason is to make sure they could change ads throughout the year and we agreed to $100 down, $85 every 3 months and $20 every time we change the ad.

2 spots filled without any referrals and the amount of time, I've invested has me excited to keep going. I definitely can see how with a few more referrals from a business and a few businesses that want to advertise on more than 1 board can lead to these being filled very quickly.

Good stuff. ACTION. GREAT. Results, what you want.

100 down, 85 x 3 = 255, and with an ad change, an additional 60, so, 415 per ad, is the potential for this model, and with 3 of the same, it would be

1245 minus your costs. So, you're close to the model I posted about, and may get that 900 bux profit. Do a board or two, and I'll show you ways to reduce your costs, and make things faster.

ACTION is rewarded. And considering it a part-time gig, if you perfect your approach, you've given yourself a pretty, pretty,
pretty,
pretty good pay raise for next year, and didn't spend a fortune doing it either.

We're here to help, I love to help those which choose to DO. A lot of power in taking action.

Keep it in motion.

GordonJ
Old December 17, 2018, 02:43 AM
BenjaminS

Default Re: You are doing fantastic. Keep it going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Good stuff. ACTION. GREAT. Results, what you want.

100 down, 85 x 3 = 255, and with an ad change, an additional 60, so, 415 per ad, is the potential for this model, and with 3 of the same, it would be

1245 minus your costs. So, you're close to the model I posted about, and may get that 900 bux profit. Do a board or two, and I'll show you ways to reduce your costs, and make things faster.

ACTION is rewarded. And considering it a part-time gig, if you perfect your approach, you've given yourself a pretty, pretty,
pretty,
pretty good pay raise for next year, and didn't spend a fortune doing it either.

We're here to help, I love to help those which choose to DO. A lot of power in taking action.

Keep it in motion.

GordonJ

I am going to alter my sales pitch a little when I go out to fill the other 2 spots tomorrow. I am going to make it easier to say yes to when they ask about price. I'm going to say its $120 for every 3 months or you save 25% when you pay for the whole year up front. When I tried co-op direct mail before I talked to people that I think would of tried a new marketing strategy for $120 but didn't want to risk and/or pay $350 at once and will allow me to hopefully close these special boards more quickly.

Will be back with an update when I finish this board.

- Ben