SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 16, 2018, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Default Always happy to see Glenn Osborn post, and what great timing too.

Glenn is a Master of persuasion and influence, it is always interesting to be let in on his latest real life testing and results.

I know there are a few who don't get Glenn, and that is by design, he really doesn't want to waste time with those who don't get it, a nifty way of sorting right up front. Anyhow,

pay attention to what Glenn reveals. And his timing is great. You all know about the release later this month of my new Persuasion/Influence KIT. I'm working hard on it.

The KIT is a very basic introduction to persuasion and influence. There are those who make distinctions between the two, some would have persuasion as a bit more forceful with the strings attached and visible, whereas influence may be a bit more covert and less manipulative.

I am not of that crowd. To me, they are the same thing and mixed in with Salesmanship, Copywriting, advertising and marketing of all kinds, they have a singular purpose:

To get someone to DO something you want them to do.

For me, and hopefully for most of you, it is about ACTION taken by another person. In my case, most of the time, as far as business and moolah making goes, it is about getting someone to send me money in exchange for something they WANT.

Feel free to bring your own definitions with you.

But without a RESPONSE to my persuasive/influential STIMULUS, what is the point?

OK, so the KIT has five basic elements to it.

First is: the TARGET and RESULT wanted. OR, who exactly are you trying to influence and WHAT exactly do you want them to do? These go together right up front, the very first consideration, and yet, we see so many would be persuaders (especially copywriters of the modern ilk) ignore and forget these.

WHO do you want to DO WHAT? WHO/WHAT. Can't make it any simpler than that.

In a selling situation, I want my prospect to buy from me and become a customer.

The easiest way to this result is to put what they are seeking and looking for on their path and let them BUY, WITHOUT any selling, persuasion or influence.

Over 80% of shopping carts at Walmart have toilet paper in them. Wonder who got that job, I guess it was their super computer looking over items bought.

NOT a whole lot of persuasion or influence going on, at least not there, maybe in the supermarket, where name brands compete, one might be influenced by advertising, and fuzzy bears being all soft and clean. HA!

So ELEMENT ONE is a TARGET/RESULT. A WHO/WHAT.

ELEMENT TWO is the Intersection. Where the two minds meet. You as the seller/persusader/influencer meets the Target/Prospect/Person somewhere, somehow in someway.

Old world ways are TV, radio, newspapers, magazines, billboards, direct mail and direct contact.

New world ways are emails, blog and forum posts, Facebook groups, Instagram, LinkedIn, social media in general and also direct mail/direct contact. Which as Glenn pointed out is the SECRET weapon of getting customers when every one else is sitting at a computer screen looking for magic, the person who makes contact in the right way, gets the goods.

So, where does this meeting of the minds take place. The INTERSECTION.

The THIRD ELEMENT is the PREOCCUPATIONAL INTERRUPTER. What and how do you get your Target's attention? How do you hold their attention? It has always been hard to get people's undivided attention, but today, with all the online activity being a constant in so many lives, this may be the CRITICAL element and one which carries more weight.

Because, without your Target's Attention, you stand no chance of getting them to do what you want.

Now, you can argue this point and really over complicate the psychology of it, but I like to keep things simple.

I like the idea of TWO kinds of Preoccupations (PO). The now, or top of mind, like what is for lunch and the deeper life preoccupations of what I want, how do I get it, etc. Again, feel free, as many of you do, to OVER COMPLICATE this thing and get bogged down in the quicksand of parsing and splitting hairs.

OR, keep it simple, think of a conscious PO, or a sub-conscious PO, which at any time could become top of mind.

You want to match your PI, with the Intersection. SEO is all about finding a person interested in something, and being in the top tier of search engine results when that person goes looking for ________. Either by organic or advertising means, you get their attention, just enough for them to click on your link which takes them to your well crafted intersection.

The KIT contains colored cards to help you sort and find out what the best Intersections look like and gives you the best chance for success.

FOURTH ELEMENT is EMOTIONAL RESONANCE. Call it a vibe, a feeling, a problem, a concern, a worry, a fear, whatever you want. It gets into the mind of your target by way of emotional resonating with their deeper feelings.

In old world selling it was, walking in the shoes of your customer. It was/is empathy. Understanding of their concern.

Your Preoccupational Interrupter hits a nerve in your target, gets them to start THINKING about one of their PO's. You have got their attention and now you want to get them emotionally involved and you do this through a resonating idea.

The FIFTH ELEMENT is the CALL TO ACTION.

This takes you full circle back to the top, the WHAT you want them to do. It is a call, and is often refused. Which is ok in business. In old world remote direct marketing, a call to action to the general public needed a very small response to be successful. You will not get everyone who needs, wants, or even should buy your product/service to do so. It will never happen.

But if you select the right TARGETS, and have an emotional meeting of the minds along their path, with their best interests in mind, you can get a significant response rate which, if selling, could put a lot of money in your pocket or if for other purposes, give you a lot of influence.

So those are the basic ELEMENTS you will find in the KIT. Along with Gender Specific Preoccupations, Generational Specific Preoccupations.

How to construct an intersection most conducive to resonance.

Why selecting the right TARGET makes things so much easier, and where to find the right group of people.

5 best preoccupational interrupters.

Four of the most powerful emotional appeals to use.

Magic words. In addition to my SPIDERS, SNAKES AND MICE, there are influential words to use on the right people at the right time.

STORY TELLING as a PreOccupational Interrupter, how to tell a story which leads your target to the bridge, which IF they choose to cross takes them to the Greener Pastures of their tomorrows.

All of this in the Persuasion/Influence KIT, due out early NOV., after some Beta Testing has been done.

If you have any questions, please ask.

And pay attention to Glenn, he has his own way of doing things, but you may see a lot of this "model" of Elemental Influence in what he does, as you will see it in many of the effective marketers, and persuaders do.

Gordon

Last edited by GordonJ : October 16, 2018 at 01:54 PM.