SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > SOWPub Business Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SOWPub Business Forum Seeds of Wisdom Forum

Old March 20, 2008, 12:57 PM
Skip Rosell

Default Question? Would appreciate feeedback.

I have been asked too many times to remember..."How can I set up my first web page".

The ones asking do not want to become web masters just be able to set up a simple web sales page with a payment method.

I have taken the time to help quite a few of my members do what I do to set up a sales page. Nothing fancy as you can tell from most of my pages. But a way to get started quickly. Then each person can learn more on their own. They just NEED that push and instructions to start and see some results quickly.

If I put down in a report, how I have helped others, with screenshots and step by step instructions. Then offer the following one-on-one instructions:

1) One question a night by email Monday thru Thursday (I don't work weekends) on any part of the basic set up for their web pages.

2) At anytime within the first 60 days a 30 minute phone call where I will answer questions and walk them through the set up.

3) Also give them free software that they need.

Here is what I would like feed back on:

Should I do this as just a report with one-on-one support?

Or should I do this as a 3 or 6 month membership? That way the instructions would be broken into baby steps and not over whelm anyone. Also they would have the 3 or 6 months to ask questions.

Which would you want if you needed this kind of help?

Either way what do you think the pricing should be?

I thank you for your help in advance.

Best of success,

Skip Rosell
Old March 20, 2008, 01:34 PM
Sandi Bowman

Default Re: Question? Would appreciate feeedback.

When I had my newbie site, I had plenty of feedback about how they'd like it. The one side said "just give it to me so I know where I'm headed and can move along'. The other side said 'don't overwhelm me with too much at once'.

What I finally decided to do was offer both, in a sense. I gave them step by step info but also a 'round up' on the process. Any time I was wondering whether I should do two or more steps at a time, I discovered that it was always better to give several, if needed, rather than get negative feedback because some had to 'sit and wait' for the next step. Some things just need to be presented together.

Personally, I would prefer to have full instructions in hand to peruse before proceeding. My reason: a lot of folks get one into the middle, forget some essential, and then you're stuck and almost no way to get them in the same spot to get help. If I look it over, and it makes sense, I feel a lot more confident proceeding.

Price depends on how you go about it, how much depth there is to it etc so it could range from ten dollars on a monthly membership to a flat fee of say, fifty dollars or more...again, depending.

HTH

Sandi Bowman
Old March 20, 2008, 03:22 PM
Scott S.

Default Skip and Gordon

I have only received a few chapters of the course I am working on now so my experience with the "one chapter a week" system is limited. But I will tell you how I feel so far.

I am a little above the first several lessons I have received so far so the waiting one full week for the next lesson can be a little frustrating. But because it is almost impossible for me to sit and read for more than a few minutes at a time it really is proving to be a better learning environment for me. Otherwise I just skip around the course and really never read anything at all and has really never been more than a waste of my money. Because the chapters are broken down and kept small I can read and implement, or check to see if I have already implemented, the lesson for that week. I feel more bang for my buck. In fact if I was smart I would take some of the courses I have on my hard drive and break them down and email them to myself one chapter a week. LOL But seriously I may do that.

I have given up on most of the membership sites. Most have been a waste of my time. The beginning is great but over the course of a few months the information being passed on is just taken from google and is not worth paying for. Any average search would find the same info for free.

Pricing? If it is a small report with just a few screenshots maybe the $7.00 report route. But if it is a medium course then maybe a set $x.00 broken down and auto paid monthly through paypal over the length of the course. I believe that is how they charged for the one I am currently working on. It seems fair to me and less of a strain on my pocket book.

Bottom line. So far it seems to be working better for me than the past methods. More bang for my buck. I really do believe in the theory of 'information overload'.

Scott S.
Use my toolbar...
Old March 21, 2008, 09:27 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Skip and Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
Otherwise I just skip around the course and really never read anything at all and has really never been more than a waste of my money.

Bottom line. So far it seems to be working better for me than the past methods. More bang for my buck. I really do believe in the theory of 'information overload'.

Scott S.
Use my toolbar...

Thanks Scott for your feedback, and I think what you state and what Sandi experienced covers about 80-90% of students...they get either overwhelmed with too much...and skip around taking a look at it and never getting around to the step by step approach OR they want it faster to go at their own speed.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Gordon Jay Alexander
Old March 22, 2008, 02:51 PM
Skip Rosell

Default Re: Skip and Gordon

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your feed back. I can relate to informations overload. Between all the replies I think I have a path to follow.

Thanks again and

Best of success,

Skip Rosell
Old March 21, 2008, 03:57 AM
Phil

Hi Skip...

A few ideas for Anyone interested...

Glad to see some Taking Action with the Lead business ideas and possibilities threads...

I understand the Marketplace that http://makemoneyalerts.com/lead/lessonfour.pdf is aiming for...

But what about the PRO version business model...

Keep in mind, some have absolutely no interest in Learning on how to build web pages... Even though they should...

They just want complete Professional business package(s) that work...

Quick example and idea... Some say appearance and presentation is not so important...

But I Bet PPC and Web results dramatically increase using...
http://www.instantsqueezetemplates.com/

All kinds of affordable (keyword) Optin Graphics in Google...

Focus on Packaging the concept including web hosting with Local keyword research, Help and Consulting services...

“Twist” the Pro Dealer packages and the Consulting services directly to Local businesses & Resellers...

Think about additional Services that offer Lifetime commissions and other Revenue sources...

Spying & Beating the competition with Local PPC marketing is Easy to Learn so Competition consulting services is another Specialty market to focus on...

Local niche Keywords and phrases is still full of Untapped business ideas & opportunities...

As few are Doing much of anything with them...

Free Unclaimed Google real estate...

Phil

Last edited by Phil : March 21, 2008 at 04:05 AM. Reason: additional info
Old March 22, 2008, 03:06 PM
Skip Rosell

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the link. I have acquired the product.

Phil, you are dead on when you say "They just want complete Professional business package(s) that work...

Quick example and idea... Some say appearance and presentation is not so important...

But I Bet PPC and Web results dramatically increase using...
http://www.instantsqueezetemplates.com/"

Not only for squeeze pages but for the web site. I do not want to learn how to be a web master but I needed a better looking site.

I hired a person to set this up for me and he started work and then had a BIG set back. His wife passed away. Here is what he had set up so far and I would love your opinion of whether I am going in the right direction.

http://makemoneyalerts.com/reports001.jpg

Best of success,

Skip
Old March 22, 2008, 08:24 PM
Phil

Default Re: Question? Would appreciate feeedback... Skip & Gordon...

Skip,

http://makemoneyalerts.com/reports001.jpg

Definitely looks much better with multiple expandable categories and features... Quality Skip content should keep things interesting...

By the way, didn't mean to be negative on your web design... As usual just tossing out Quick ideas...

Ever thought about marketing Skip's Content by the Chapter?... Maybe with a Blend of Affiliate, Resell & Repackaging rights...

http://www.springwise.com/media_publ...y_the_chapter/

Sorry to hear about the web designer's wife passing away... We must Appreciate and live each day to the fullest... Life's just way too short...

I was going to mention in Gordon's thread about membership sites...

Regarding the Unlimited available options, ideas and possibilities for membership sites, scripts...

Give some Serious thought about Re-working membership sites into Niche Blog membership sites Using WordPress...

1,000's of Free well designed templates with many affordable SEO WordPress templates that have Google Vitamins built in...

Installation and support services seems to be getting much more affordable as WordPress business ideas & opportunities keep on growing...

Bet there's some Big Money making ideas yet to Happen with WordPress...

A few Good examples and I'm sure we'll be Hearing about many more... Interesting on How innovative ideas keep on Multipling...
http://www.fastmembershipsites.com/
http://www.webpronews.com/expertarti...press-as-a-cms
http://www.affordable-internet-marke...ership-plugin/
http://www.michelfortin.com/wordpress-and-paypal/
http://corymiller.com/membership-sit...ith-wordpress/

Phil

Last edited by Phil : March 22, 2008 at 08:31 PM. Reason: additional info
Old March 21, 2008, 09:50 AM
Administrator

Default Skip, I don't if this will work for you, but I'm about to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Rosell View Post
Here is what I would like feed back on:

Should I do this as just a report with one-on-one support?

Or should I do this as a 3 or 6 month membership? That way the instructions would be broken into baby steps and not over whelm anyone. Also they would have the 3 or 6 months to ask questions.

Best of success,

Skip Rosell

Skip,

One thing I like about your reports (and you helped me replicate some of that, and that is appreciated) is your use of step by step with big red arrows and screen shots...that is good.

I haven't done this yet, but...

I took 90% of my stuff down last fall to go into the shop for cleaning and tuning...while I concentrated on doing the Ben/Harvey project...which has become more complicated than I originally thought...

Anyhow, what I've been working on for ME, is a "map"... of sorts....a large (17 X 22) laminated "map", that can be overlayed with pieces and parts. I started with my Square One Workshops, and from there I've been working on several other "map type" pieces, one for the Copywriter's Checklist (www.incomeandhappiness.com) and another for a TOLL Position and another for the NPGS formula...and one for CHATTELING.

Only the chatteling and SQ1 are mine, so the others have to go through an approval process.

Now here is the plan...I'll offer a "Course" in Chatteling...and the initial payment includes the "map"....and some colored markers...

The "map" can sit on your desktop, or be put on a wall or cork board right in your office or by the computer. It looks a little like a game board, something like Chutes and Ladders type thing...where you can get started and then branch off in different directions. With Chattel, people seem to want to specialize...so as a guy like SunWest Bill does good with Amateur Radio equipment...so the "map" he would create would be more toward that subject ...

SEE?...what happens is the "Course" becomes personalized, and is specifically created to match the needs and wants of your customer.

In your case, I can very clearly visualize a 'map' of how to create a web-site...with a few different branches and the person can then determine which "path" they want to go down...

Then, they have a set number of questions or contacts they can use to fill in their own blanks.

This is still being developed in my spare time (HA!)...but the original SQ1 had this built into it...and it seemed to work pretty good.

So, consider a CUSTOMIZED template (yea, an oxymoron)...that your customer will choose to fill in depending on his/her learning process.

Think of a Monopoly Board...move down the first lane and you get the fundamentals of how to get a web host, how to set it up...down the second lane or third (they get to choose) are "plug ins" for their needs.

I'd be very careful about offering your time Skip...do as much as you can without overly involving yourself...otherwise, you could get a lot of bog down...

But since this is only a "plan" at this point, I don't have any evidence that it will or won't work...hopefully, sooner rather than later.

Good luck,

Gordon

PS. And as you grow, you'll have (perhaps) a variety of options for your customers, options that are automated without you being involved.
Old March 22, 2008, 02:48 PM
Skip Rosell

Default Re: Skip, I don't if this will work for you, but I'm about to

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post
Skip,

One thing I like about your reports (and you helped me replicate some of that, and that is appreciated) is your use of step by step with big red arrows and screen shots...that is good.

I haven't done this yet, but...

I took 90% of my stuff down last fall to go into the shop for cleaning and tuning...while I concentrated on doing the Ben/Harvey project...which has become more complicated than I originally thought...

Anyhow, what I've been working on for ME, is a "map"... of sorts....a large (17 X 22) laminated "map", that can be overlayed with pieces and parts. I started with my Square One Workshops, and from there I've been working on several other "map type" pieces, one for the Copywriter's Checklist (www.incomeandhappiness.com) and another for a TOLL Position and another for the NPGS formula...and one for CHATTELING.

Only the chatteling and SQ1 are mine, so the others have to go through an approval process.

Now here is the plan...I'll offer a "Course" in Chatteling...and the initial payment includes the "map"....and some colored markers...

The "map" can sit on your desktop, or be put on a wall or cork board right in your office or by the computer. It looks a little like a game board, something like Chutes and Ladders type thing...where you can get started and then branch off in different directions. With Chattel, people seem to want to specialize...so as a guy like SunWest Bill does good with Amateur Radio equipment...so the "map" he would create would be more toward that subject ...

SEE?...what happens is the "Course" becomes personalized, and is specifically created to match the needs and wants of your customer.

In your case, I can very clearly visualize a 'map' of how to create a web-site...with a few different branches and the person can then determine which "path" they want to go down...

Then, they have a set number of questions or contacts they can use to fill in their own blanks.

This is still being developed in my spare time (HA!)...but the original SQ1 had this built into it...and it seemed to work pretty good.

So, consider a CUSTOMIZED template (yea, an oxymoron)...that your customer will choose to fill in depending on his/her learning process.

Think of a Monopoly Board...move down the first lane and you get the fundamentals of how to get a web host, how to set it up...down the second lane or third (they get to choose) are "plug ins" for their needs.

I'd be very careful about offering your time Skip...do as much as you can without overly involving yourself...otherwise, you could get a lot of bog down...

But since this is only a "plan" at this point, I don't have any evidence that it will or won't work...hopefully, sooner rather than later.

Good luck,

Gordon

PS. And as you grow, you'll have (perhaps) a variety of options for your customers, options that are automated without you being involved.

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for the great idea.

A MAP! What a great idea! I can set this up as a membership site and have different paths to what the customer WANTS to learn.

I can not only use this idea for my latest report but for ANY niche I want to target.

Some details have to be worked out so let me get to work.

Thanks again Gordon,

Best of success,

Skip Rosell