SOWPub Small Business Forums  

Click Here to see the latest posts!

Ask any questions related to business / entrepreneurship / money-making / life
or share your success stories (and educational "failures")...

Sign up for the Hidden Business Ideas Letter Free edition, and receive a free report straight to your inbox: "Idea that works in a pandemic: Ordinary housewife makes $50,000 a month in her spare time, using a simple idea - and her driveway..."

NO BLATANT ADS PLEASE
Also, please no insults or personal attacks.
Feel free to link to your web site though at the end of your posts.

Stay up to date! Get email notifications or
get "new thread" feeds here

Go Back   SOWPub Small Business Forums > Main Category > Original SOWPub Forum Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old September 3, 2003, 08:56 AM
Barbara Camisa

Default Greetings

Hi Dien and Michael and all,

I don't even recall how I got here the other night (it was actually about 5AM), but I'm glad I did! This is quite the unique place. I enjoyed the stories from the links on the sowpub index page and relate with Gordon Alexander's 'Small Potato' and Linda Caroll's (she does beautiful work) "Queen of Hearts".

I suppose I should tell you a little bit about myself. I've been making my living on the web as a web dev/virtual host/domain name gamer/ for almost 5 years. I've taught a lot of kids from 9 and up web dev and some Unix sys admin. It's easy to teach kids web stuff being they learn super fast and leave me in the dust:-) Nah, actually they come back and teach me a few tricks.

I see you encourage people to post stories. I may write my story here if I can keep it from becoming a book. I think you may find it more amusing than beneficial, though. I'm not too comfortable with writing and am finally working on that. I do sometimes write documentation for open source projects. I'm good at that because I'm an 'eternal newbie':-)

Best wishes,
Barbara Camisa
Old September 3, 2003, 11:07 AM
Dien Rice

Default You can gain a lot from teaching...

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for posting!

I agree with you about teaching - often when you teach, you gain and learn just as much as you give! And when you teach, your own knowledge becomes more "solidified" too...

I know that there are some things which I know, but which I don't implement. When I share these techniques with someone, I find that I'm stimulated to do more too! So sharing my own knowledge helps to stimulate me into action...

I think that telling your own story can do that too... As well as sharing something with others, you often find that the reflection it takes to write your own story helps you improve yourself too.

I don't know why it works - but it does! :)

Welcome to the forum, Barbara!

- Dien
Old September 3, 2003, 11:50 PM
Lynn Terry

Default Thank you, Dien...

> I think that telling your own story can do
> that too... As well as sharing something
> with others, you often find that the
> reflection it takes to write your own story
> helps you improve yourself too.

Your message really inspired me... and it has motivated me to *take action*.

I had a thought - just a fleeting thought, mind you - when I was 19 years old. Not long after I turned 29, I had the very same thought again. This time it didnt leave me, but rather stuck in the back of my mind for quite some time - during which I remembered the very moment it originally came to me, ten years before.

As a side note, I was in a near fatal accident in '94 (at the age of 20) and suffered regressive memory loss - it wasnt until 6 or 7 years later that I began to remember bits and pieces of my childhood, or anything at all before the wreck. To be able to remember having a thought... and how I felt... and where I was when I had that thought... every little detail down to my surroundings and the time of day... added weight and clarity to the importance of this particular "thought".

It was from that point that I began to devise my "ten year plan". All of a sudden I had *purpose* in life - a renewed energy, and a very positive outlook. It changed me, and it changed the way that I think.

Ten years from now... I know where I will be. Who I will be. And why. -- And I feel fortunate to have been given the gift of this insight.

I have never shared the details of this "ten year plan" with anyone - in full. I have eluded to it, have discussed bits and pieces with a small number of very close friends... but I've never truly - openly - shared it.

I still dont know for sure if I want to disclose every detail. Perhaps I hesitate because it makes me accountable. Or maybe I worry that it will taint the outcome. Or... (fill in the blanks).

I turned 30 in June. Its been just over a year now. There isnt a day that goes by that I dont ask myself "What are you doing today to work towards your Ten Year Plan?". I know all too well how quickly ten years can (and will) pass.

Thank you for your words, Dien. Now, more than ever, I feel compelled to share this plan... I'm going to copy this post into my Business Journal, and expound on it from there.

> Welcome to the forum, Barbara!

I would also like to Welcome you, Barbara :-)
I lurk here often, but havent posted until now. I look forward to getting to know you - and everyone here - and participating, instead of just reading ;)

the book I am currently reading...
Old September 4, 2003, 09:50 AM
Barbara Camisa

Default Re: Thank you, Dien...

Hi Lynn,

Welcome to you! and thanks for your warm welcome:-)

I'm glad you survived that awful accident. I'm also glad you came out of lurking here and shared your extraordinary story:-) I can't imagine what it would be like to lose all past memory, even for just a day.

I look forward to getting to know you too!

Best wishes,
Barbara

Best wishes,
Barbara

> Your message really inspired me... and it
> has motivated me to *take action*.

> I had a thought - just a fleeting thought,
> mind you - when I was 19 years old. Not long
> after I turned 29, I had the very same
> thought again. This time it didnt leave me,
> but rather stuck in the back of my mind for
> quite some time - during which I remembered
> the very moment it originally came to me,
> ten years before.

> As a side note, I was in a near fatal
> accident in '94 (at the age of 20) and
> suffered regressive memory loss - it wasnt
> until 6 or 7 years later that I began to
> remember bits and pieces of my childhood, or
> anything at all before the wreck. To be able
> to remember having a thought... and how I
> felt... and where I was when I had that
> thought... every little detail down to my
> surroundings and the time of day... added
> weight and clarity to the importance of this
> particular "thought".

> It was from that point that I began to
> devise my "ten year plan". All of
> a sudden I had *purpose* in life - a renewed
> energy, and a very positive outlook. It
> changed me, and it changed the way that I
> think.

> Ten years from now... I know where I will
> be. Who I will be. And why. -- And I feel
> fortunate to have been given the gift of
> this insight.

> I have never shared the details of this
> "ten year plan" with anyone - in
> full. I have eluded to it, have discussed
> bits and pieces with a small number of very
> close friends... but I've never truly -
> openly - shared it.

> I still dont know for sure if I want to
> disclose every detail. Perhaps I hesitate
> because it makes me accountable. Or maybe I
> worry that it will taint the outcome. Or...
> (fill in the blanks).

> I turned 30 in June. Its been just over a
> year now. There isnt a day that goes by that
> I dont ask myself "What are you doing
> today to work towards your Ten Year
> Plan?". I know all too well how quickly
> ten years can (and will) pass.

> Thank you for your words, Dien. Now, more
> than ever, I feel compelled to share this
> plan... I'm going to copy this post into my
> Business Journal, and expound on it from
> there.

> I would also like to Welcome you, Barbara
> :-)
> I lurk here often, but havent posted until
> now. I look forward to getting to know you -
> and everyone here - and participating,
> instead of just reading ;)
Old September 4, 2003, 06:34 PM
Dien Rice

Default Lynn... that's quite a story! How you've come through and what you are doing now is a real

inspiration!

Wow. I didn't know about your accident. One thing it shows is that we can't take things for granted... We should be grateful for what we have every day.

Also, I love the fact you have a ten-year-plan! That's a good idea!

I've been a fan of Lynn's posts (on various forums) for a long time... She also has her own forum. I urge everyone to check it out every now and then - especially for Lynn's own posts.

(I look out for what she writes all the time - she's always shared incredibly valuable advice!)

Thanks Lynn for sharing your story!

- Dien

Lynn's forum...
Old September 4, 2003, 10:50 PM
Lynn Terry

Default Re: Lynn... that's quite a story!

> Wow. I didn't know about your accident. One
> thing it shows is that we can't take things
> for granted... We should be grateful for
> what we have every day.

This is so true... I had no idea when I left my house that day in 1994 that I wouldnt return for several weeks. And that when I did -- I wouldnt be in any condition to pick up where I walked out.

I remember lying in the hospital bed. I was confused. Time seemed to pass very slowly and very quickly at the same time. I listened to three surgeons as they stood at the end of my bed and decided not to do surgery on me as it was doubtful I would live through the night. I tried to speak, to raise my hand, but I wasnt able to - and I was frustrated. I dont recall being afraid, which seems odd now that I think back on it, I just remember feeling trapped somewhere that I didnt belong.

Almost two weeks later I left the hospital: over 50% deaf, with the majority of my right side paralyzed, my jaws wired and unable to raise my arms or turn my head... barely walking. The diagnosis was severe brain damage, minimal lifestyle from that point forward.

I was a single mother to a two year old child.
Prior to the accident, I worked three jobs to support us.

I had a miraculous recovery... but not before I lost everything that I owned.

> I've been a fan of Lynn's posts (on various
> forums) for a long time... She also has her
> own forum. I urge everyone to check it out
> every now and then - especially for Lynn's
> own posts.

> (I look out for what she writes all the time
> - she's always shared incredibly valuable
> advice!)

{blush} Thanks Dien :)

Interactive e-Biz Discussion Forum
Old September 4, 2003, 07:01 AM
Barbara Camisa

Default Re: You can gain a lot from teaching...

Hi Dien,

Thanks for your warm welcome!

Your insightful words about teaching are so true!

Your take on writing about one's self makes me eager to sit down and organize my thoughts and write about me. If it works like you say it does, and you don't know why it does, then I suppose it's just magic.

In part of my self-help, I want to be as comfortable writing as I am with talking. I talk up a storm.

In fact, I just joined Toastmasters a little while back. I went as a guest with one of my friends and had so much fun there. They have a segment called 'Table Talk' where you pick a topic at random and get up and talk about it. I was anxious to take the podium. They suggested that I let at least 2 others go before me so I can see how it's done. On my turn, I pick a topic and wind up with 'p-mops'. What a boring topic I got! In my 44-second talk, I go on about how I have no intimacy with mops, 'cause I don't like to clean...You can make dolls with them...Bang an intruder on the head etc. etc.

When I got evaluated, I found out that p-mops means 'Procedural Model of Problem Solving'! The audience was too kind. I couldn't stop laughing about that one:-) I found out at the next meeting why the audience was so kind. The evaluator at the last meeting was the only one in the room who knew what it meant. Anyway, I've been delaying my first ice breaker speech because I have to WRITE it.

You've broken some ice here and I thank you for that!

Best wishes,
Barbara
Old September 3, 2003, 11:26 AM
Rick Smith

Default Re: Greetings

Barbara -

Welcome! It's great to have another "geek" here. *g* (Actually, there are several of us that hang out here.)

I've read and enjoyed your posts on other marketing boards.

> I'm not too comfortable with writing and am
> finally working on that.

Well, we'll help you fix that! *g* My wife recently completed an e-book (which I edited and did the design for). She found out that absolutely loved it. You might discover a hidden talent that you love like she did.

> I do sometimes
> write documentation for open source
> projects. I'm good at that because I'm an
> 'eternal newbie':-)

That'll keep you young. *g*

Rick Smith, "The Net Guerrilla"
(no websites right now because my webhost has totally hosed my account and I'm about to switch hosts)
Old September 3, 2003, 11:31 AM
Dien Rice

Default Rick, what's the link

for information about your wife's book? Some here might like to know more.... :)

- Dien
Old September 3, 2003, 12:49 PM
Rick Smith

Default Re: Rick, what's the link

Dien -

> for information about your wife's book? Some
> here might like to know more.... :)

Thanks for asking. I would have included the link but the site will soon be undergoing a makeover of the layout, sales letter, etc. I plan to have that done very soon. I had planned to get that done over the long weekend but other projects (such as replacing a washing machine and taking my truck in for service) demanded *waaaay* more of my time than I had expected.

I was planning on giving out the link when I got the revisions done. However, since you asked, folks can find out more about my wife's new e-book by visiting http://www.tarheelmama.com

Rick Smith, "The Net Guerrilla"

Click Here to Find Out More About What Dien's Talking About!